Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V200 Status: Build an Athlete in a Suit, or Full-Track Poser?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brass4321
We all know that you want the mahogany car and you should get it. My only comment about that build is that I don't think the black wheels provide enough contrast to show off the mahogany color of the car. I think that silver or standard wheels might look better. Better yet, go big and get a set of gold wheels! Yolo!
I think the mahogany will be gorgeous, and it will be a rare color. I tend to agree with Brass on the silver wheels. Check out the thread on sapphire blue. There is one with silver wheels and silver headlights. Very crisp and clean looking. I think this combo will look great with mahogany. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get the car you want and ignore resale. Why buy for the next owner? You may end up keeping the car longer than you think. Also, you seem to really like mahogany and it does look great from all the photos I've seen. It will be unique and may bring up value on resale due to its rarity as opposed to lime gold which will also be rare and in my opinion just doesn't look that good. White cars look great as well, but I'll bet at least 50% will be specced that way. Go for something different.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 AM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mahogany with Silver wheels reminds me of this beauty (yes I know, not mahogany).
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You should do it, your heart is sold, so go with it. Also add PCCBs if that's what you want! There will be aftermarket rotors available as you've seen in the posts and even with Steels I would use aftermarket for the track.

I don't think resale will suffer as it will be a very rare color choice and the internet makes it very easy to find that interested buyer.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Brass - that is gorgeous
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
GMP911
Advanced

If you buy the white and you are stopped at a red light and a mahogany car pulls up next to you, would you say I'm glad I got white, or would you say I wish I bought mahogany.

If the car is only going to be occasionally tracked do you really need a track focused car? A track guy wouldn't even consider a car without the buckets (take it from me I know). Buy what you like not what someone else may like - nobody needs a GT3, many people want a GT3. We are very fortunate to be able to have this choice.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
this is definitely a weekend car, roadtrips with my girlfriend, and maybe 2-3 track days/year, max. I don't plan on keeping it for a long time mainly because of where I live in SF, with very limited parking space which means parking my work car on the street... also, I am 36 and have other financial priorities to focus on, and taking money out of equities to buy a sports car at this age screams "short-sighted and impulsive" to me... so, I'm thinking a year or so, get my fix.. sell and settle down with the more important stuff like growing a business.

this is a distraction.. but a fun one.
Option 1. If you're really only keep her for a year, I'd go for white since resale or trade in value for a less popular Mahogany color could be less. If money doesn't matter, go with option 2.

Option 2. If you're going to keep her, I'd go for Mahogany because that's what you like.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Nothing like a trip to the dealer to see some colors in person, to really solidify what you like and don't like. I have to believe that the "purple" GT3 with the gold wheels online was not actually mahogany, but was actually amethyst. I saw the color swatches in person for mahogany and it's not purple the way I like, it's more of a brownish gold-ish color, terrible. Next to it was the color I really liked, and it was called amethyst I believe?

Not sure what to make of this, except to accept that Mahogany may not be the color I was hoping for... And is not at all suitable for the car, and I need to focus on something else. Not sure how the Internet pictures could be so wrong, but I'm glad I checked in person

I also saw some dark blue metallic, and while it's a pretty color, I can mentally cross that off as it just looks too elegant, for the car. Belongs more on a convertible 911 for example. Again, pictures online really offered a different perspective, but seeing it in person tells you the whole story.

I was ready to leave more undecided than ever, except there was a jet black Boxster GTS with satin black wheels and black headlights in the showroom... and it looked completely amazing. Unlike the regular black which even when clean looked somewhat flat, the jet black definitely has a dark dark blue hue to it, and all the black plastic parts pop really nicely. 's a special looking, almost color changing tint, very unlike the basalt black it replaced.I think this puts jet black into strong contention, with a red stitched interior (this just after I had decided on platinum... Go figure)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Does any one have pictures of "Jet Black"?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rhodium silver with red rims similar to your Avatar, red wing tips and you are set. I think Rohdium looks amazing. I have seen it in TT-S and couldn't stop looking at it. Since you are selling it in 1 yr it does not matter what color Just go real crazy. Keep it a stripper and you have no problem selling with minimal loss.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I was ready to leave more undecided than ever, except there was a jet black Boxster GTS with satin black wheels and black headlights in the showroom... and it looked completely amazing. Unlike the regular black which even when clean looked somewhat flat, the jet black definitely has a dark dark blue hue to it, and all the black plastic parts pop really nicely. 's a special looking, almost color changing tint, very unlike the basalt black it replaced.I think this puts jet black into strong contention, with a red stitched interior (this just after I had decided on platinum... Go figure)
I used to love black when I was younger because they seemed so menacing. The thought of driving around in a "bad" car was enjoyable. Fast forward 25 years and I think of what is acceptable to drive to court. There would be no problem with driving a mean looking black car to court but, I suppose I'm no longer the kid who thinks of it that way. Plus, I hated the inevitable weekly car washes that go with a black car.

Dan (saw a gorgeous white 991 Turbo S on the road and went with Carerra white)
Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
Rhodium silver with red rims similar to your Avatar, red wing tips and you are set. I think Rohdium looks amazing. I have seen it in TT-S and couldn't stop looking at it. Since you are selling it in 1 yr it does not matter what color Just go real crazy. Keep it a stripper and you have no problem selling with minimal loss.
the "keep it a stripper" part is tough... it basically means no leather interior and potentially no carbon bucket seats... and that may not be a bad idea.

as hard as i try, my builds always seem to end up at $151k... that's with leather and seats plus lift and a few small goodies... maybe I should resign myself that the $20k in options is a write-off.

really wish that mahogany looked like the purple (amethyst) on that 993 above... would have been my choice in a heartbeat.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my 997.2 GT3 was a stripper. Didn't have any sort of seat adjustment. No options what so ever. I had the car for 2 yrs and enjoyed the hell out of it and sold it for $4K less than what I paid. You will get most of your money back after 1 yr except uncle Sam's share.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

so... after a visit to the dealer all my priorities and thoughts got all screwed up... I thought long and hard and realized that I wouldn't be too upset at losing some of the money I put into options on this car as I really was building my dream car, and also... i fell in love with jet black.

so without further delay.. and praying to the gods of sanity that I don't change my mind again.. here is my fairly expensive, but oh so beautiful to me, final build. it's cohesive color-wise with just black grey and reds, hopefully in line with what a 2nd hand buyer wants, but definitely definitely what i've dreamed of. i had originally held off from even consider black because of all the maintenance people discussed, but realized that it's a rare car for rare days... and I just didn't care. plus... jet black, in sunlight is absolutely gorgeous to me after having seen it.

So, she is jet black, with full leather as well as extended dash and steering column and red stitching with red belts. I also added the $350 "porsche" script on the center armrest. Also have the buckets, because... I had to, and thesport chrono because it looks so cool. other notables are black headlights and front lift.. i ended up at $154.. which is a damn expensive build.. but in the end it doesnt matter... i fluctuate the price of options in equities on most days and don't think 2x about it... not sure why I agonized over this for so long.

trying to post the build spec below.. not sure if it will work but here goes.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM
englebert
Instructor

Make sure you get the black headlights, it makes the car look really menacing!

Quick Reply: V200 Status: Build an Athlete in a Suit, or Full-Track Poser?