Sponsored by:

Roof Transport

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
set4lfe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Transport

Is the roof the same as the other 991s with the slots for the roof transport system? I didn't see it listed on the tequipment site.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No slots for roof transport....
Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No slots for roof transport....
No, but there are mounts apparently under the rubber seal. I was provided a rectangular plastic tool that allows you to access behind the seal. I haven't checked it out yet as I will never put a rack on this car.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
No, but there are mounts apparently under the rubber seal. I was provided a rectangular plastic tool that allows you to access behind the seal. I haven't checked it out yet as I will never put a rack on this car.
Really....very interesting. There is no sign of slots looking at the roof and the seam where the rubber seal is, is very slender; hard to imagine anything could be inserted there of sufficient size to provide support for a roof rack. If you ever peel back the seal, post pics!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Really....very interesting. There is no sign of slots looking at the roof and the seam where the rubber seal is, is very slender; hard to imagine anything could be inserted there of sufficient size to provide support for a roof rack. If you ever peel back the seal, post pics!
It sure does look tight. The tool they gave me was attached to the manual - it is a rectangular black plastic piece. Honestly, I'll never do that. My turbo will carry the rack this winter.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:36 PM
englebert
Instructor

Disappointed with this news. Picking mine up tomorrow and was looking forward to getting my MTB on the roof.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is the motivation for roof rack capability for luggage or for track specific wheel set when you have no second car/trailor ?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:37 PM
set4lfe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockitman
So is the motivation for roof rack capability for luggage or for track specific wheel set when you have no second car/trailor ?
My motivation would be to throw my MTB up there and have a lot more fun than my truck on the way to the trails that are out of town and up some windy roads.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What ab those magnetic or suction cup roof mounts?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh dear lord...
Old 09-21-2014, 05:43 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
oh dear lord...
What do you mean? I would think a hardcore guy like you could see the benefit!

Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

you don't have to be a hardcore guy to think that a car with no backseats and a 9k redline can do without a roof rack for transporting a bicycle no offense....
Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

you don't have to be a hardcore guy to think that a car with no backseats and a 9k redline can do without a roof rack for transporting a bicycle no offense....
None taken. I'll never put a rack on mine, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is a road car, just like every GT3 before it. No need to give anyone a hard time for looking for some utility. I'm sure you probably feel I rested your case......your welcome.......J/K
Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
None taken. I'll never put a rack on mine, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is a road car, just like every GT3 before it. No need to give anyone a hard time for looking for some utility. I'm sure you probably feel I rested your case......your welcome.......J/K
nah... not really

The question was about transporting bicycles, not racing slicks... but like everything else, this is a tomato, tom-ahto situation... A used trailer can be had for pretty cheap.... I would argue if someone has the $ for a GT3 and track time, they can probably afford a trailer to carry the car and extra tires... But I definitely see your point. I love that picture. Reminds me of some of the early 911 R pics and efforts...
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

nah... not really The question was about transporting bicycles, not racing slicks... but like everything else, this is a tomato, tom-ahto situation... A used trailer can be had for pretty cheap.... I would argue if someone has the $ for a GT3 and track time, they can probably afford a trailer to carry the car and extra tires... But I definitely see your point. I love that picture. Reminds me of some of the early 911 R pics and efforts...
I haven't been to the track in a couple years, but I was always impressed when I saw the commitment of loading the roof with four wheels on a sports car. Looking forward to getting back out there next spring!

Quick Reply: Roof Transport