Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 bucket seats available as tequipment for US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

That makes the most sense. However, it is possible that there's more to the story. I think the 918 buckets will almost certainly be in the RS (which may be why they showed up for the GT3 when they did) and possibly it was the 918 seats that were supposed to be added to the Tequipment catalog rather than the old GT2 seats.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Sorry, misunderstood. Can't see mine either.
No harm, no foul

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Originally Posted by GrantG
For those considering GT2 seats, make sure you have adequate headroom before proceding. These seats mount very high (and are not adjustable height) - making it very minimal headroom for those who need the space. I believe the 991 has even less headroom than 997 also.
I am 6'5" and clear the roof with helmet just fine.
I going to disagree with Grant and agree with Sam here. The RoW seats (at least) are mounted quite low and the seats don't have a lot of padding, so aren't very thick; this is visible in the configurator photos. too. I'm 176cm (5ft 9.5in) and have at least 10cm clearance above my head without a helmet.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

take the seat cushions out for the track...better feel of what the car is doing on the track, and lots of head room.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Height Adjustability on Driver's Side ONLY

Originally Posted by GrantG
I believe the 918 seats are height adjustble (at least in ROW).
The 918 driver's sport bucket seat is electrically height adjustable in all markets, including USA. The 918 passenger's sport bucket seat is height adjustable AS AN OPTION in ROW. It is not yet approved for USA, so it will not be offered here*. Apparently, that also applies to the 918-type sport bucket seats on the US 991 gt3. Standard electric height adjustable for the driver's side but NOT for the passenger's!

*According to my theory, the US DOT issue with height adjustability on passenger side bucket seat is the placement of the dash mounted passenger side airbag on the 918. Fine for a set, fixed location of the passenger bucket seat. But if you move it up, down or tilt, it's passenger could be positioned in a less than optimal place for the deployment of dash-mounted airbag, regardless other airbags & safety features on that model. We don't yet know if that also applies to the 991...but I find it curious that no height adjustment is offered on the passenger side for the US 991 gt3 (even as an option). Once these same 918-type sport bucket seats are available in other 991 markets (ROW), we will see if a passenger side adjustable bucket seat is offered (or not) as standard or as an option...and draw conclusions from it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The 918 driver's sport bucket seat is electrically height adjustable in all markets, including USA. The 918 passenger's sport bucket seat is height adjustable AS AN OPTION in ROW. It is not yet approved for USA, so it will not be offered here*. Apparently, that also applies to the 918-type sport bucket seats on the US 991 gt3. Standard electric height adjustable for the driver's side but NOT for the passenger's!

*According to my theory, the US DOT issue with height adjustability on passenger side bucket seat is the placement of the dash mounted passenger side airbag on the 918. Fine for a set, fixed location of the passenger bucket seat. But if you move it up, down or tilt, it's passenger could be positioned in a less than optimal place for the deployment of dash-mounted airbag, regardless other airbags & safety features on that model. We don't yet know if that also applies to the 991...but I find it curious that no height adjustment is offered on the passenger side for the US 991 gt3 (even as an option). Once these same 918-type sport bucket seats are available in other 991 markets (ROW), we will see if a passenger side adjustable bucket seat is offered (or not) as standard or as an option...and draw conclusions from it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I can see some form of adaptive airbags coming in the future. The configuration of airbags that are armed for a crash changes with the position of the seat. I'd be willing to bet the patent has already been filed.

Ryan
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by sk0t
I going to disagree with Grant and agree with Sam here. The RoW seats (at least) are mounted quite low and the seats don't have a lot of padding, so aren't very thick; this is visible in the configurator photos. too. I'm 176cm (5ft 9.5in) and have at least 10cm clearance above my head without a helmet.
Just want to be sure we're talking about the same seats (GT2 folding carbon buckets)? Anyways, I am only 5'11" and those seats put my head just below the headliner without a helmet in a 997 GT3 and through the headliner with a helmet (can feel contact with the metal roof if I extent my spine all the way). Granted, I have unusually short legs and long torso...
Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

So while waiting for a call back from dealer parts dept I called PCNA about the techquipemt seats. After some delay Camile said yes the drivers seat (991 044 801 31) is available to order and ships from Germany. However the passenger seat ( 991 044 801 32) shows as currently unavailable. She said I should call the dealer to order. I asked her to confirm these meet all DOT etc requirements and she said yes. I take that with a grain of salt as I didn't get the impression she was all that knowledgeable. Think I'll wait awhile on this Don't want to end up with just one seat. And still might decide to go with Recaro or other.

On the height and helmet clearance matter, in my Cayman R I was a bit high with the sport buckets and installed the Cantrell motorsports lowering brackets which also allowed putting a little backward tilt on the seat. I don't know for sure if these would work in the 991 but may be an option if needed.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
So while waiting for a call back from dealer parts dept I called PCNA about the techquipemt seats. After some delay Camile said yes the drivers seat (991 044 801 31) is available to order and ships from Germany. However the passenger seat ( 991 044 801 32) shows as currently unavailable. She said I should call the dealer to order. I asked her to confirm these meet all DOT etc requirements and she said yes. I take that with a grain of salt as I didn't get the impression she was all that knowledgeable. Think I'll wait awhile on this Don't want to end up with just one seat. And still might decide to go with Recaro or other.

On the height and helmet clearance matter, in my Cayman R I was a bit high with the sport buckets and installed the Cantrell motorsports lowering brackets which also allowed putting a little backward tilt on the seat. I don't know for sure if these would work in the 991 but may be an option if needed.
Not that it matters a whole lot if they will be used for tracking, but I'm assuming that the Tequipment seats are a generic 991 version, IOW no alcantera inserts, no GT3 logo, and no deviating stitching. If Camile is correct and the seats in the catalog really are available in the US (I have my doubts) then why wouldn't the identical seats, but with 991 GT3 detailing, also be available to order over the counter? This whole seat thing is such a big freaking mystery to me.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

So, is this the same seat as 997 just with a different wiring harness? or it's a completely different seat altogether? It does look different indeed from pics of the GT3 bucket seats available in the Build section.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It looks like the seat that used to be available in the 997 in the US and is currently available ROW in the 991.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:44 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
... I asked her to confirm these meet all DOT etc requirements and she said yes. I take that with a grain of salt as I didn't get the impression she was all that knowledgeable...
I wonder if parts that are sold and installed after the car arrives at the dealership, like the bucket seats, are required to meet DOT requirements?

Is the seat situation similar to the amber side marker lights that car manufacturers are required to install on new cars sold in the US, but dealers can change them to clear before delivery to the customer?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not that it matters a whole lot if they will be used for tracking, but I'm assuming that the Tequipment seats are a generic 991 version, IOW no alcantera inserts, no GT3 logo, and no deviating stitching. If Camile is correct and the seats in the catalog really are available in the US (I have my doubts) then why wouldn't the identical seats, but with 991 GT3 detailing, also be available to order over the counter? This whole seat thing is such a big freaking mystery to me.
Yes, from the techquipment link photo and description they are leather without alcantara inserts and have P-crest on the headrest. Actually my preference would be perlon which had silver stitching.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:34 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts
Arrow News from Porsche

Official information:

It has been brought to my attention that the current version of the
Tequipment finder list Sports bucket seats for 9x1 models. I want to inform
you that this an error and Germany is in the process of removing this
product from the website. Being this website is viewable to the public, I
ask that you please inform your customers that the placement of these seats
on the site is an error and they do not apply to the North American market.

However, I am currently in discussions with PAG, Weissach, and the seat
manufacture to develop a seat that can be offered in the North American
market. More details should be fourth coming in the months ahead and my
goal is to offer this product to you by early Spring.
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Tequipment carries a Porsche warranty and is considered OEM. So even if DOT relaxed the aftermarket standards, Porsche still warrants their Tequipment as original and genuine Porsche parts. My take is that PCNA isn't up to speed on the actual seat now available for the GT3 being the 918 version. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 981 GTS US models don't offer the GT2 sport buckets and they were only recently added to the model line up.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Official information:

It has been brought to my attention that the current version of the
Tequipment finder list Sports bucket seats for 9x1 models. I want to inform
you that this an error and Germany is in the process of removing this
product from the website. Being this website is viewable to the public, I
ask that you please inform your customers that the placement of these seats
on the site is an error and they do not apply to the North American market.

However, I am currently in discussions with PAG, Weissach, and the seat
manufacture to develop a seat that can be offered in the North American
market. More details should be fourth coming in the months ahead and my
goal is to offer this product to you by early Spring.
Thanks for clearing this up for everyone.

Quick Reply: GT2 bucket seats available as tequipment for US?