991 GT3 by Getawayer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Those are excellent points. For street driving, DD, clearly the 991 is the way to go. On the track, I am sure I would kill my 996 lap times just by the fact I don't track that much (limerock 2 hrs away) and manual PDK would certainly make me a better track driver...meaning faster. Visceral engagement with the whole track process would definitely be more satisfying for me with my 996 even though I would be slower. My 996 stock stereo sux (can barley hear it above cabin noise) and I dread sitting in stop and go traffic especially with the RS single mass fly/clutch I have installed. Interstate driving drone is no fun either. My 996 has less than 12k on the odometer. I guess that speaks volumes about my preference for street driving comfort.
Let's face facts here, that 996 GT3 is an Albatross around your neck. A millstone. An albatross tied to a millstone around your neck. And you've modified it?! With a lightweight flywheel? Doesn't that make the rear main seal explode out of the casing? And tracked it? Tracked cars are always abused. Driven too fast. Braked too hard. Abused. I think you've got a ticking time bomb ...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Let's face facts here, that 996 GT3 is an Albatross around your neck. A millstone. An albatross tied to a millstone around your neck. And you've modified it?! With a lightweight flywheel? Doesn't that make the rear main seal explode out of the casing? And tracked it? Tracked cars are always abused. Driven too fast. Braked too hard. Abused. I think you've got a ticking time bomb ...
The only thing that makes my RMS weep a bit is the fact I run a Europipe 100 cat exhaust which provides less back pressure, hence the way the seal is oriented, makes for less than oil tight. A few drops on the garage floor after use. It's not like I am pca racing, strictly DE's. You are probably right, based on my usage, I would be better off with the 991 as far as using the car off track with the occasional track day. Now the question is, do I wait for a possible/promised RS allocation or bag it for a currently available GT3 allocation.hmmmm

PS: I still have 996 GT3 Cup rear toe arms and a rear mono ball kit uninstalled. I guess originally, my tracking desires were a bit optimistic.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Junk.

: )
Hyperbole.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The 991 GT3 steering is very good. But if a gun was put to my head and I had to come up with one fault I would just say the steering could be just slightly better - Now - I only have 500 miles so we will see when I have 2000 miles
Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* steering is still crap
* brakes aren't up to track work
* suspension is still distractingly electronic
* PDK is great, but if you want to really drive a 911, go back to at least a 997.2 RS or 997.1 GT3 or 996 GT3 or 993 (any non-tiptronic)
*To me the steering is very accurate and the noise filtered from it is on the same level of the noise removed from the 996 GT3 to the 997 GT3. Many confuse constant jibber jabber through the wheel as being communicative. To me the model of perfect steering comes from Lotus. As awesome as the various GT3 are, they don't come close to the transparency from this brand. The 991 GT3 doesn't quite have the clarity of the 997, but it's damn good.

*Brakes: you are saying the brakes are downgraded from the 997 GT3?

*Don't know what you mean here b/c this current iteration of PASM is the most transparent of any PASM car I've driven. Sure, the Motons in my other car are amazing, but compared to a 997 GT3 I definitely think it's a step in the right direction. I wish Porsche put the same attention in their suspension as Chevy did with the Z/28.

*I have no more comments on PDK as the subject has been beaten to death.

I think the 991 GT3 is amazing and will have a semi-permanent space in my garage. . . . until Porsche pulls out another variant that is even more enticing.

I would never go back to a 997 or 996 GT3 after sampling this car.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Geeze, now you make me feel that trading my 996GT3 in for a 991GT3 is a mistake...

Time to re-calibrate ?
I toyed with the idea myself. Just came back from a back road drive in my 6gt3 (stock exhaust, stock clutch, lower on Moton CS shocks with 600/800 springs, monoballs). I think I'll keep it. No reason to give it up for a car costing at least twice as much, with an automatic and apparently worse steering. Plus I need the extra 100HP like a I need a bullet to my head.

I use my sports cars only for weekend, back-road, and track driving -- purely for driving's sake and not much else. I use much more mundane appliances for tootling along in busy traffic when I need to get from A to B. YMMV.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed
*I would never go back to a 997 or 996 GT3 after sampling this car.
Hi Frayed...been a long time since I have hung out here. Good to see you have lasted the test of time here. I appreciate your words of wisdom as I try to ascertain getting rid of my 6GT3 or not and bagging the future RS for this currently available tasty fruit.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frayed...been a long time since I have hung out here. Good to see you have lasted the test of time here. I appreciate your words of wisdom as I try to ascertain getting rid of my 6GT3 or not and bagging the future RS for this currently available tasty fruit.
Hey rockit, I was absent for quite some time as my focus went from Porsches to other stuff. I've only returned lately to join the fray in the extended GT3 wait. Fortunately the GT team did provide the car as advertised.

To me the 6 GT3 is the most intense, hard core, analogue of all of them.

I simply didn't enjoy the 6 GT3 that much on the street, and often found myself reaching for the keys of a car that was less PITA to drive on the street. Here, the GT3 is an enigma. More stiffly sprung than it's predecessors, more power, faster etc, but far reduced NVH and far more composure. Far more streetable than the 6 GT3.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, just as the 6 isn't either.

But I think the video review in the OP is dead on.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed
Hey rockit, I was absent for quite some time as my focus went from Porsches to other stuff. I've only returned lately to join the fray in the extended GT3 wait. Fortunately the GT team did provide the car as advertised.

To me the 6 GT3 is the most intense, hard core, analogue of all of them.

I simply didn't enjoy the 6 GT3 that much on the street, and often found myself reaching for the keys of a car that was less PITA to drive on the street. Here, the GT3 is an enigma. More stiffly sprung than it's predecessors, more power, faster etc, but far reduced NVH and far more composure. Far more streetable than the 6 GT3.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, just as the 6 isn't either.

But I think the video review in the OP is dead on.
Those are words of wisdom and I agree. It's time to have a 911 I can really enjoy in the street/highway on a more regular basis.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Those are words of wisdom and I agree. It's time to have a 911 I can really enjoy in the street/highway on a more regular basis.
Then looks like the 991 gt3 would be a better choice than the 6gt3. Hope to see you with it at Limerock next spring.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for me to beat on this thread. If I was more into tracking there would be no doubt I would get the 991. But for the street I found it BORING. The 997 is much more engaging more fun more lineal less electronic if you will. For ME the MT made it more Porsche like. Just buy both
Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by promocop
Time for me to beat on this thread. If I was more into tracking there would be no doubt I would get the 991. But for the street I found it BORING. The 997 is much more engaging more fun more lineal less electronic if you will. For ME the MT made it more Porsche like. Just buy both
You and CGT need to compare notes. BORING and with junk steering. Can't figure out what all the fuss is about or why I even bought one! lol
Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Then looks like the 991 gt3 would be a better choice than the 6gt3. Hope to see you with it at Limerock next spring.
My average with admittedly only Blue class level DE experience...1:10 per lap. I have been in a Farnabcher-lowes GT1 class 944 turbo at 57 secs per lap for a 1/2 hr stint. The ride was violent !!! It was only then I realized racing is an brutally athletic sport amongst other skills. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy. G-force matters !
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All relative. I loved the 991 I had for a wknd. In relationship to the MT I just thought unengaging. On the track totally the opposite. For the PDK to work for me on the street I just thought boring in auto mode and OK in manual mode. This could all change tomorrow as DT LA motors may buy my 2010 and then I'll have to change my post!!! All good. I need both
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by promocop
All relative. I loved the 991 I had for a wknd. In relationship to the MT I just thought unengaging. On the track totally the opposite. For the PDK to work for me on the street I just thought boring in auto mode and OK in manual mode. This could all change tomorrow as DT LA motors may buy my 2010 and then I'll have to change my post!!! All good. I need both
So you had a 991 not a GT3 for the weekend? OK, my bad then, I get your perspective. Once you have a chance to try PDK-S in a GT3, however, I suspect you will have a very different POV.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 by Getawayer