Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron (Steel) Rotor Replacement for 991 GT3

Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Iron (Steel) Rotor Replacement for 991 GT3

We received inquires from GT3 owners about the Steel Rotor options besides CCM brakes we offer in this thread.

Carbon Ceramic Brakes for 991 GT3

I think it's better to keep two topics separate; so this thread is added for Iron Rotor set up:

Non PCCB (Iron Rotors):
Front rotor: 380x34mm

Rear rotor: 380x30mm
This set up is identical to Nissan GT-R earlier models (09-11) per links, until 2012 the front is up-sized to 390mm which we are all very familiar with, since we already have the rotor rings in stock so just need to make the hats.

RacingBrake light weight two piece rotors will be an upgrade to OE's dual cast rotors, not only for the performance gain, you only need to replace the rings when the rotor wears out instead of the complete rotor assembly - Good money saving investment.

PCCB (CCM Rotors):
Front: 410x36mm

Rear: 390x32mm
In order to retain the use of OE calipers, the rotor must be made to the same dimensions, but by doing so the rotor will be too heavy and bulky, while you gain some (modulation, durability etc.) on tracks, you will be taxed with the extra weight.

We will be developing an alternative; Lighter Weight two piece rotors just like we did for Corvette ZR1, which "mikymu" has worked with us on this project, swapping his CCM to stock size iron replacement, then to the light weight two piece with a very satisfactory result.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...n-for-ccm.html

To achieve weight reduction, the rotors shall be made thinner with narrower annulus (friction surface), sufficient to deal with the heat from our experience w/o excessive in weight & volume (like CCM).

Being the disc is made thinner, other than weight saving, it creates more clearance with calipers for air circulation, or you can use a thicker pad for endurance.

Here is an example of ZR1 weight comparison (for GT3 I will have to do the same tabulation later), so you get an idea of these options.

Thank you for your reading and let me know if you have any concerns or questions.

Warren-RB

Last edited by RacingBrake; 10-04-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

any type of light weight steel rotors options that can withstand track beating will be great. I have not driven a 991 GT3 but from Max and Lar's report it's a track beast and much faster than 997 GT3. many of you know that RB work with me to come up with light weight steel rotors for my Z06 and I been hammering them at Thunderhill and recent PCA 5 miles event. It's not just the rotors - Warren also set me up with their racing brake pads - XR70 which is just crazy good on the track! As you can see from my chase video below I was riding on Derek's TT and I could never be this close with him if I was running OEM ceramic rotors - they do not modulate and hit and miss as far as emergency slowing on the track. I had full confidence in RB steel (I know professor Lar don't like me calling them steel) rotors which made this exciting chase possible

Warren and crew at RB brakes are great to work with and excellent with their communication and I strongly recommend you guys to work with him if you want a better brake solution be it iron or ceramic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iron (Steel) Rotor Replacement for 991 GT3