Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:27 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

I'm finally landed a December allocation (after waiting for 14 months).

I'm finalizing my options and my sales guy strongly recommends passing on the sport bucket seats. He feels unless I'm only tracking the car this is not a good option. He also said if I opted out of the 4way/18way seats the car would not be wired for them and retrofitting these seats would be very difficult.

I can't imagine Porsche would put very uncomfortable buckets in the 918. At the same time he is trying to save me $$ and hassle if I don't like them. He also said get heated seats, as this is a deal breaker for many people. I'm in San Diego and never used the heated seats in my Cayman. And was planning on passing. For resale do any of you feel this is a deal breaker option. Maybe I'm just spoiled in SD.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Well, I have to agree with the heated seats but that is not for me but for my Wife. That is one option she would b"""h at me for even though She may only ride in my car a couple times a year. To her; keeping that *** warm is important. Who am I to complain after spending over $150,000 on a car.

Now - The real question you wanted to know; for resale? - is not going to matter.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well, I have to agree with the heated seats but that is not for me but for my Wife. That is one option she would b"""h at me for even though She may only ride in my car a couple times a year. To her; keeping that *** warm is important. Who am I to complain after spending over $150,000 on a car. Now - The real question you wanted to know; for resale? - is not going to matter.
I agree. I can't imagine your standard GT3 driver saying... "The car is perfect except for heated seats... I'm out! " In a cayenne, yes. In a GT3, no!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on how wide your body is around shoulders, torso and belly.

I can see a "larger" person having major issues comfortably fitting into the sport bucket which will have no adjustments at all once you realize its too tight of a fit.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The sales guy has some valid points. My last GT3 had 4 way w/heat. Although the climate in which I drove did not predicate heated seats I enjoyed them countless times. On a crisp morning run or for therapeutic value.

That said, I am going with the sport buckets this round. I may never track the car and if I do it would be infrequent. Resale may suffer only beacuse you may very well limit you buying base. However, these seats will be in very high demand.

I would not guage the potential comfort level by the fact that Porsche put these in the 918 as standard. These seats will likely not be as comfortable as even the 4 way for drives over 60-90 minutes. I am going in anyway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-09-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

^^Was going to post a reply but this pretty much says it all. To the OP, I would only add that he should try to at least find a 997 model with the GT2 buckets which should offer a similar level of comfort. Some people just won't fit the sport buckets and an ill fitting seat will be a problem.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

The deal breaker for me was the inability to adjust the back of the seat....I have the race seats in my 458 and this is vital IMO....
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I think it would be much easier to sell a GT3 with the lightweight bucket seats. It's part of the cars DNA.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I think it would be much easier to sell a GT3 with the lightweight bucket seats. It's part of the cars DNA.
+1
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Dealers have been discouraging buckets in all previous GT3's and buckets still command a premium in all GT3's without fail.

Guys, as a potential buyer few years down the road: I need more buckets!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, I got a 7.2 GT3 adaptive sport seats and they were too comfortable. I was sliding around in the seats and never got a true feeling for the car. Was on the hunt for the sport buckets and just installed them last week. All I can say is, what a difference it made in my driving experience. I feel much more in tune with the car and planted. Meaning I can tell exactly if the car will push or pull, if the tires are reaching the limits of their grip, etc. They do belong in the car and if you feel like the regular seats are enough for the car or think that the comfort should be there, then you may be in the wrong car. No disrespect to anyone but it's just my personal feelings. The GT models are made for twisty roads so you need a good seat to hold you down, if you want straight line speed then the Turbo is the better choice with the comfy seats.

It also depends on your height and weight of course...
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Buckets or bust!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

I strongly disagree with the dealer on this. I'm not debating that the standard seats may be more comfortable, but the sport bucket seats comfort will largely depend on the driver's build. However, there will certainly be a premium added to the gt3 on resale that will outweigh the cost of the sport bucket seat option. I have a spyder with the sport bucket seats and it will command a premium over the cars specced without them when I sell.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySD
I'm finally landed a December allocation (after waiting for 14 months).

I'm finalizing my options and my sales guy strongly recommends passing on the sport bucket seats. He feels unless I'm only tracking the car this is not a good option. He also said if I opted out of the 4way/18way seats the car would not be wired for them and retrofitting these seats would be very difficult.

I can't imagine Porsche would put very uncomfortable buckets in the 918. At the same time he is trying to save me $$ and hassle if I don't like them. He also said get heated seats, as this is a deal breaker for many people. I'm in San Diego and never used the heated seats in my Cayman. And was planning on passing. For resale do any of you feel this is a deal breaker option. Maybe I'm just spoiled in SD.

Any thoughts?
Get the buckets, if you don't like it, you will have no trouble swapping/selling them for a neat profit. On the other hand if you decide you wanted buckets later on, it will cost you much much more than ordering it now. Why anyone would get a GT3 without the buckets is beyond me, even if it is not what you really want. Also like others have said, that is probably one of the few options that adds to the resale value.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:52 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Deleted

Quick Reply: Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?