Sponsored by:

Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yes. That is exactly what the US is getting. Sounds like you're a little behind on the latest news.
Sorry, I missed that. Probably because I recently decided to get buckets and did not pay much attention to the seats issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Sorry, I missed that. Probably because I recently decided to get buckets and did not pay much attention to the seats issue.
Oh I don't blame you. Not very relevant or interesting news for ROW, but to us here, it was a big deal.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told when I ordered the lightweight sport buckets that they will use the existing wiring harness installed in car (for previously available seat options 4 way/18 way) and it's same harness installed in all us spec GT3s. This was supposedly the response a couple weeks ago to an email from my dealer from Porsche answering inquiry when I expressed a desire to possibly purchase 4 way seats in future (possibly from someone selling them in future from GT3 for race seats for track use) and wanted to know if I could plug seat into existing harness so power would work on seat controls. I hope this is true because the lightweight sport buckets might not work for my wide ****.....despite the risk I ordered them anyways figuring I would find someone that could use them or I'll keep them so car has all original equipment available if I ever sell it.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike, this is your car with buckets. But you guys are telling me that you are getting different buckets from that million dollar porsche?
aamersa, those pics are of the old GT2 buckets and club sport package that have been available on ROW GT3's since they were introduced, but have not been available in the US. Those buckets have folding backrests and no height adjustment.

The buckets everyone is talking about are the new 918 style buckets. I don't think anyone has a pic of those in a GT3 yet. Word is that they will not have folding backrests but may have electric height adjustment.

Edit: Sorry if my post has trailed the latest posts above. Things are moving fast...
Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Word is that they will not have folding backrests but may have electric height adjustment.
So the vertical portion of the seat will not be able to move back or forward?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Correct. If what we suspect is true, the seatback will be fixed in position and also will not fold for rear seat access. Even the GT2 seats did not let you adjust the seat back for recline, although they did fold completely forward so you could get luggage or what have you in the back.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:33 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's correct the backs are stationary, for all intensive purposes a one piece seat..
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Correct. If what we suspect is true, the seatback will be fixed in position and also will not fold for rear seat access. Even the GT2 seats did not let you adjust the seat back for recline, although they did fold completely forward so you could get luggage or what have you in the back.
Originally Posted by sccchiii
That's correct the backs are stationary, for all intensive purposes a one piece seat..
That's a bit strange. Have never seen a fixed one piece seat like that in any car. But if the million dollar club gets it, there must be something to it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

That's a bit strange. Have never seen a fixed one piece seat like that in any car. But if the million dollar club gets it, there must be something to it. Thanks for sharing.
The Euro GT3 buckets were also a fixed one piece seat. They were never an option in the US, AFAIK, but I got a pair for my 996 through a Canadian RUF distributor.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The 996 GT3 and euro GT3/Carrera GT seats were all fixed one piece. GT2 are the only ones that fold forward
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

The Euro GT3 buckets were also a fixed one piece seat. They were never an option in the US, AFAIK, but I got a pair for my 996 through a Canadian RUF distributor.
Btw, the gt3 and gt2 don't have rear seats and most who have buckets have roll bars back there in row at least. So what do people do by folding their seats forward? Also do the current gt3 row seats recline, I forgot to ask dealer, I just assumed they must.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I saw a video on you tube of a black 991gt3. Sport buckets. Looked like slider on side of seat that allows seats to fold forward like my gt2 buckets.
Not sure where the video was shot. Alaatin61 was the poster. Start at 415 mark for interior look.
May not be USA though but DOT differences with regulations?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Btw, the gt3 and gt2 don't have rear seats and most who have buckets have roll bars back there in row at least. So what do people do by folding their seats forward? Also do the current gt3 row seats recline, I forgot to ask dealer, I just assumed they must.
The GT2 bucket seats were allowed to be spec'd on any sports car. Boxster, cayman, 911, turbo, etc. I can only assume that the fold foward option was to accomodate those that have a standard 911 with rear seats.

This could be why the new 918 seats are only available in the US on the GT3, and not the regular 911 like they were with the GT2 seats
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by seapar
I thought I saw a video on you tube of a black 991gt3. Sport buckets. Looked like slider on side of seat that allows seats to fold forward like my gt2 buckets.
Not sure where the video was shot. Alaatin61 was the poster. Start at 415 mark for interior look.
May not be USA though but DOT differences with regulations?
No such video exists at this time with a GT3 running 918 bucket seats. None have been built yet. Come December we will see live pictures. Until then, it doesnt exist.

edit: I take that back. The Chris harris original review of the 991GT3 last year was video of the GT3 running 918 buckets in one seat and the GT2 in another
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ok people. Watch the video below. ROW GT2 style buckets on the passenger side. US 918 style buckets on the driver side.

Quick Reply: Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?