Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

also strongly disagree with your dealer...whether they are comfortable or not, the buckets are hugely sought after and will help not hurt resale
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

unbelievable. Some of these sales guys should find other jobs.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

remember most dealers know bn very little and nothing of their products.
as them to use the GPS next time. and get ready for a good laugh.
u know how you use the car
he is not you, he has no clue how you use your car.
what your butt shape is
how good/bad your back is
how is he going to recommend what seat is comfy or not?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While not a great defender of dealers in general, I think you guys are going off on them a little too hard here. Most people buy a particular seat because they want to be comfortable and supported in it--not because the seat may or may not be a good investment . Because the buckets can't be tried out by the customer before hand, and there appears to be no back tilt function, there is simply a greater possibility of a comfort issue, which could result in an unhappy customer . Unhappy customers tend to not purchase from the same salesperson again.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Buckets or bust!
This
Old 09-10-2014, 04:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What the OP's dealer said about wiring issues is interesting.. I think we are all assuming that we can swap regular seats back in, but that seems not to be the case
Old 09-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Dealers have been discouraging buckets in all previous GT3's and buckets still command a premium in all GT3's without fail.
Tru dat! Dealers in particular discouraged their customers from custom ordering 'sport bucket seats' in the previous 997/987 (e.g. regular models, GTS, Spyder, Cayman R) because they believed it was harder for resale when the vehicles came back to them! They normally didn't order 'sport bucket seats' on most of the cars specced for dealer inventory, including their .2 997 gt3's & RS's allocations! We have even seen some examples of dealer-specced LE 4.0 gt3 RS, the sportiest/most track oriented 997 ever built, ordered with the bulkier/heavier 'Leather/Alcantara Sport Seats' (like those in photo #1) instead of the N/C buckets!

Originally Posted by LAGinz
and there appears to be no back tilt function
We don't know that at this time. I am betting the new 918-type sport bucket seats will electrically adjust (height-wise) for driver & possibly for passenger too! It would be fairly easy to design 'tilting' by raising/lowering the front or the back separately. But we don't yet have confirmation of this for the 991 gt3. All we seem to know is that the backs don't recline forward to make easier access to the rear (for cleaning, storage, etc) in the 991 gt3. This is also true for actual 918 seats - photo # 2 - which are specifically designed for this two-seater!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What the OP's dealer said about wiring issues is interesting.. I think we are all assuming that we can swap regular seats back in, but that seems not to be the case
This would be a significant departure from the past. All 997 and 987 seats were electrically plug and play.

IIRC the lightweight bucket seat for the 991 GT3 has a unique part number different from the 918. The embroidered GT3 on the headrest is one difference, I can't imagine the seat requires a different wiring harness in the base car.

Ryan
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

You should get what you want, period.....I got 18 way as it will mostly be a dd and they will be more comfortable....Im a bodybuilder and have a wide back.....the buckets will not be a comfortable daily drive and I know this from the race seats in the 458.....when I go to the track if I feel I need a bucket I can always install aftermarket.....I am also not concerned on what my car will be worth on resale....I'm buying it for myself to enjoy and inevitably will lose money as most likely it will see a lot of miles and depreciate.....a few grand here and there won't make or break me.....bottom line is order what's best for you
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

The dealer's recommendation is a strong reflection of the GT3's market from their perspective, which is probably non-track oriented buyers with money, who doesn't even go on forums like rennlist.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 AM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

If you drive more than 2hrs straight, bucket will kill your back. If not, then never mind.
I should have gone for normal seats for my F12 but went with bucket and I can only drive no more than 2 hrs. Have to stop for pain. Also, ferrari bucket is 4way but porsche is 2way.
I take FF for long drive and F12 for short burst and gt3 will be my track car.
Life is good
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

My dealer suggested bucket seats. At first, I was going with 18 due to comfort but at the dealers suggestion and after reading forum I decided on buckets. Then, being advised of lack of forward tilt, I have decided to go back to 18 with leather back again because I expect to need the rear space for banker boxes of files that may not fit in the frunk. I wish there were a memory option at this point.

Dan (is a paper pushing lawyer who may take the car to court once in a while and certainly more often than the track)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you also have to put in the equation the resale of of a car with such tight seats. There is a reason for years corvette seats were flat and had no supports... American customers are....(trying to be politically correct)....have bigger behinds
Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think these kinds of threads highlight the changing nature/view of this model in the Porsche lineup. Not good or bad, just clearly a thread you wouldn't have seen for past GT3s, I don't think. When I talked to my dealer about this, LEDs, and other "luxury" type items, he said - "If you were buying a Carrera, I would tell you these are all must haves for resale. But for a GT3, people are expecting minimum luxury options".
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

I think I'm going to remove the LEDs on my Dec build. I really don't need it as the bi xenons on my 991 C2S is just fine. it just would look awesome to have the DRL on the track. Fashion over Function, I guess

Quick Reply: Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?