Sponsored by:

XPEL on GT3 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XPEL on GT3 Headlights

After a long discussion with my soon to be XPEL installer, he does not cover the 991 or 991 GT3 headlights anymore. I asked why and he said that there is a chance during the install process of pulling the film and stretching it and cutting it to cover the headlight that a delamination has occurred and can occur of the protective UV coating that Porsche now puts on these lights. He personally has had it happen once for one of his installs but not on all. He feels uncomfortable doing these installs unless the client releases him of any liability if a delamination occurs. Has anyone heard of this before? I have read on some of the other forums that many Xpel installers won't do Macan headlights either.
Many of you on this forum have had Xpel put on your headlights.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't heard but won't disagree. I put mine on myself on the TTS and did a mediocre job with a few air bubbles. Did it again on the 3 after I learnt a bit and they look great (heat gun, 2 hours). Still, the fit was a hair below perfect and I had a trim a couple of minor edges. Overall pleased and you can't tell it's on there. If you track often, the lenses will get pitted big time and in my opinion the risk of Xpel is much lower. If no track, don't worry about it.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are you looking to use for your clear bra install?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

BTW, XPEL makes a precut film for the headlights that is thicker than the body film. It requires no stretching whatsoever.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
BTW, XPEL makes a precut film for the headlights that is thicker than the body film. It requires no stretching whatsoever.
Sam, I think the OP's installer meant that the film might be stretched by accident.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a post regarding headlight delamination, seems to be a problem on some cars. The installer's problem may just be coincidence.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the delamination issue prevalent? And just XPEL? Or all types of films?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

back in the old day we covered 911/964 lights because they were upraight glass but now they are polycarbonare and they do have a UV tint (at least my GT3 does as you can tell when you look at it with polarised glasses). I dont see the need as great to cover these now - I have a few stone marks but given the angle of the lens they simply glance off and it would take a mammoth stone to split them (in which case I would argue the film would make little difference to the outcome). Just my 2.0c...
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
back in the old day we covered 911/964 lights because they were upraight glass but now they are polycarbonare and they do have a UV tint (at least my GT3 does as you can tell when you look at it with polarised glasses). I dont see the need as great to cover these now - I have a few stone marks but given the angle of the lens they simply glance off and it would take a mammoth stone to split them (in which case I would argue the film would make little difference to the outcome). Just my 2.0c...
Macca, I didn't cover my 991 C4S headlights. After several months of track use, looking at the them from 3-4 feet, they were perfect. Looking at them from less than a foot, showed a ton of pits. Whether that would do anything after a few years of driving, I don't know but they certainly pit.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there some type of clear coat or coating on the newer headlights? Were the 997 headlights made of glass or polycarbonate too?

I've encountered the same with my installer. He wouldn't do the headlights of my cayman.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Macca, I didn't cover my 991 C4S headlights. After several months of track use, looking at the them from 3-4 feet, they were perfect. Looking at them from less than a foot, showed a ton of pits. Whether that would do anything after a few years of driving, I don't know but they certainly pit.
Am. Heres the difference. In the 991C4S you were held up in the pack with GT3 you are always at the front of the bunch or overtaking back markers :-)
Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RossL
Who are you looking to use for your clear bra install?
ProformDesign in Ellicott City, Maryland
Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9972RS
Is there some type of clear coat or coating on the newer headlights? Were the 997 headlights made of glass or polycarbonate too?

I've encountered the same with my installer. He wouldn't do the headlights of my cayman.
Like Macca said they do have a UV coating on them. According to my installer the 997s didn't have this issue. My guy is a great installer and sells his own cuts which he claims are much better than the Xpel precuts for the Porsches. I have no experience with either so I can't comment. But he just doesn't want to cover them because he is a perfectionist and if there is a hint of a problem he said he would hate to tell me that he just f'd up my new $156,000 car's headlight. I said "if the delamination problem only happens if you peel the film off, why not just leave the film on?" And he said, because sometimes when you are applying a gift wrap over a basketball there are times when some stretching and lifting and reapplying to get a perfect fit CAN delaminate the UV layer. He said it's just not worth it.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Like Macca said they do have a UV coating on them. According to my installer the 997s didn't have this issue. My guy is a great installer and sells his own cuts which he claims are much better than the Xpel precuts for the Porsches. I have no experience with either so I can't comment. But he just doesn't want to cover them because he is a perfectionist and if there is a hint of a problem he said he would hate to tell me that he just f'd up my new $156,000 car's headlight. I said "if the delamination problem only happens if you peel the film off, why not just leave the film on?" And he said, because sometimes when you are applying a gift wrap over a basketball there are times when some stretching and lifting and reapplying to get a perfect fit CAN delaminate the UV layer. He said it's just not worth it.
Is it something specific to the XPEL film?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Is it something specific to the XPEL film?
I asked that exact question and he said that Xpel film is the best that he uses and it happens less with the better films, but has happened to him using Xpel.

Quick Reply: XPEL on GT3 Headlights