6. Newport Porsche
7. Porsche of San Diego

Bad List
1. Auto Gallery (asked 30K over).
2. McKenna 15K over
3. Beverly Hills 15K over
4. Walter "market rate"
5. Pacific Porsche (15K over MSRP)
6. South Shore Porsche (Uplift after MSRP Committed at deposit)
7. Roslyn Porsche (Over MSRP)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^ 50% so far. How sad. Wait for PCNA to see this. They will care
Old 09-03-2014, 03:26 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche of Ocala asked 5k over.

Capital Eurocars, Tallahassee, FL has been great MSRP all the way. Super, super helpful and accommodating of option changes.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^$5000 over to a local repeatable Customer or just a fly by?

I think we have to draw a line of what might be acceptable
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^$5000 over to a local repeatable Customer or just a fly by?

I think we have to draw a line of what might be acceptable
I didn't say it was unreasonable, just stated the facts. I am a Florida customer, but not a repeat at that dealer.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Porsche of San Diego. Their list is sacrosanct. Doesn't make a difference if you are a long time customer (which I am) or not. When your turn come up you get called.
Agree 100% on Porsche of San Diego. They play straight. List is honored. At MSRP. It was worth the 6 hour drive to pick mine up, two weeks ago.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Porsche of Hilton Head knowingly took my 5k refundable deposit with both the GM and salesman insisting I was receiving a March 2014 allocation. In the end I discovered that they were betting on securing an additional allocation for me and as March approached I has none. I was fortunate enough that Capital Eurocars had an allocation become available just before the stop sale.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My allocation is from Porsche of Ocala at MSRP. He also worked to move my build so that I could add the sport bucket seats. No complaints here.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ This is a story I have heard has happened a lot. Many dealers were expecting more allocations for the 991 GT3 before the "stop sale" and after. My dealer does not take deposits for future models or hedge allocations. When they tell you are getting one then you are getting one.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think I would put all dealers that charge a mark-up in the "bad" category. I would only put a dealer in the "bad" category if they (1) charge repeat customers a markup for (2) temporary shortages of a particular model. My dealer has only once "charged" me a mark-up and it was for their one and only RS4.0. And in that case it was because they called all their best customers and said "we have one car coming, and we are offering it to our best customers only, at whatever markup they believe is reasonable." I think I told them I'd pay $5K over, and surprisingly I got it. (Unfortunately, I was a dumb-*** and sold it too soon, before the prices spiked.)

This same dealer took my 991 GT3 order at list (before I put down the deposit on a 918). But when I asked them for a price on a 991 GT3 for a one-time, out of state buyer (a friend's cousin from another state), they quoted $15K over. In this case, the $15K over was for a car that was being sold on consignment for an existing customer who purchased their 2014 at MSRP and was reselling it. All of their own GT3 allocations were spoken for and they had a waiting list for any future allocations. (They still have a waiting list for future 991 GT3 allocations.)

I don't have a problem with either of the above scenarios. I also wouldn't have a problem with a dealer quoting MSRP to a regular customer but $25K over to someone they've never done business with. (That said, if I was that someone they'd never done business with, I would pass on the $25K over price... but that's another issue.) In other words, they might be a good dealer to work with, I just might not want to buy that particular car from them.

For those of us fortunate enough to be able to get a 991 GT3, we will benefit from the fact that Porsche has taken a more conservative stance with regard to production of "special" cars. In the short run, that's going to cause an excess of demand over supply -- and the resulting markup that many dealers are charging. But, on the flip side, we also benefit from this decision, as it should protect us somewhat when resale comes along. The only way you get "hurt" is if you have to have it now and you can't find an allocation with no mark-up. If I were you, I'd just be patient and wait it out. I think allocations will become easier to get once the RS is available. Also, there will likely be an increased supply of slightly used 991 GT3s on the market once the RS is available.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Stevinson Imports Porsche
Excellent dealer, always straight talk, refundable deposit, MSRP, very patient when dealing with difficult situations/customers. Always treat me well and whether or not I am one of their good customers they certainly treat me like it.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I don't think I would put all dealers that charge a mark-up in the "bad" category. I would only put a dealer in the "bad" category if they (1) charge repeat customers a markup for (2) temporary shortages of a particular model. My dealer has only once "charged" me a mark-up and it was for their one and only RS4.0. And in that case it was because they called all their best customers and said "we have one car coming, and we are offering it to our best customers only, at whatever markup they believe is reasonable." I think I told them I'd pay $5K over, and surprisingly I got it. (Unfortunately, I was a dumb-*** and sold it too soon, before the prices spiked.)

This same dealer took my 991 GT3 order at list (before I put down the deposit on a 918). But when I asked them for a price on a 991 GT3 for a one-time, out of state buyer (a friend's cousin from another state), they quoted $15K over. In this case, the $15K over was for a car that was being sold on consignment for an existing customer who purchased their 2014 at MSRP and was reselling it. All of their own GT3 allocations were spoken for and they had a waiting list for any future allocations. (They still have a waiting list for future 991 GT3 allocations.)

I don't have a problem with either of the above scenarios. I also wouldn't have a problem with a dealer quoting MSRP to a regular customer but $25K over to someone they've never done business with. (That said, if I was that someone they'd never done business with, I would pass on the $25K over price... but that's another issue.) In other words, they might be a good dealer to work with, I just might not want to buy that particular car from them.

For those of us fortunate enough to be able to get a 991 GT3, we will benefit from the fact that Porsche has taken a more conservative stance with regard to production of "special" cars. In the short run, that's going to cause an excess of demand over supply -- and the resulting markup that many dealers are charging. But, on the flip side, we also benefit from this decision, as it should protect us somewhat when resale comes along. The only way you get "hurt" is if you have to have it now and you can't find an allocation with no mark-up. If I were you, I'd just be patient and wait it out. I think allocations will become easier to get once the RS is available. Also, there will likely be an increased supply of slightly used 991 GT3s on the market once the RS is available.
Doc, I think you make a well reasoned argument, and ultimately everyone has to do what they feel is right to them, but I personally wouldn't go to a place that marks up.

FWIW I have heard from a bunch of dealers today who said they got a letter from Porsche requesting all their wait lists and builds. According to this dealer they are trying to assess demand so they can increase supply, so I think you're right, we should just be patient.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I wouldn't pay over MSRP (because most dealers don't charge more than MSRP), but I see nothing wrong in principle with a dealer asking for more than MSRP. No one is forced to buy, if you don't like a price, just walk. And let's not forget that MSRP isn't a magic number, it has a lot of profit built into it too.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I wouldn't pay over MSRP (because most dealers don't charge more than MSRP), but I see nothing wrong in principle with a dealer asking for more than MSRP. No one is forced to buy, if you don't like a price, just walk. And let's not forget that MSRP isn't a magic number, it has a lot of profit built into it too.
I have no problem with dealer asking for above MSRP as long as it's actually driven by true demand and supply. If a car is highly demanded and there is a lack of supply, highest bid wins.

But I do have problem when dealers/people are sitting on cars, to artificially limit supply, then charge a premium over msrp.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I do have problem when dealers/people are sitting on cars, to artificially limit supply, then charge a premium over msrp.
I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if it would even be legal for a dealer to do that? If there's a dealer doing that, it might be worth looking into the legal aspects of that practice?

Individuals could certainly do that if they want to take the risk. But it's not a very prudent risk IMO. You can control the price that way for a short time. But, what happens is that on the back side you get your *** handed to you because, once supply opens up, you're stuck with cars that no longer command a premium and are considered "used".

FWIW, I had an experience with another make where I put down a deposit on a car as soon as I heard it was going to be produced. A year later when production started I called the dealer and asked when mine would be ready. The dealer said, "what deposit? who are you?" By that time my sales rep was gone and the sales manager told me I'd have to pay $20K over. I faxed him my receipt that clearly stated "at MRSP". The sales manager claimed he couldn't find the original and said he couldn't tell if it was a legitimate receipt. Long story short, I had to call damned near everyone at the dealership until I got through to the owner and was able to get the situation resolved. Oh, and when I got there to pick up the car, I noticed the original deposit receipt was in my folder.

Quick Reply: Good Dealer List