Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devil's advocate - what is not so good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

It is not obnoxiously loud and if you do not activate the PSE button is does not come in to play. It comes in to play above 4000 with the PSE button activated. It just takes it up a notch or two. I do not think I would want any more nor any less exhaust noise right now. For me the SW completes what I wanted at a price which is quite reasonable - plus you do get the weight savings not that any one could notice but can not hurt
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Great comments. Thanks Jimmy

One aspect that could be improved, interestingly enough, is pedal placement. They seem to have kept the 'great' 3-pedal placement w/ the 2-pedal set-up.

It's fine until you need to left brake. At that point, you find way too much travel from foot rest and you are awkwardly twisted to the right.

BMW seems to have done a better job of adjusting the 2-pedal set-up, IMO.
Whole heartedly agree. I instinctively left foot brake in an automatic. It's obvious they kept the brake pedal near the accelerator pedal. I had a hard time at first trying to left foot brake. It felt unnatural to have to move my left foot that far. ~1100 miles in, I'm 99% accustom to it, but once or twice now I've found my right foot on the brake pedal.

I'm hoping I can translate that muscle memory to my Cup car, as I've been trying to force myself to LFB when I don't need to downshift.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree on the wing, it's not that bad in terms of visability. You want bad? Drive a Boxster with the top up. Ugh.

- I too wish they had a backup camera option. I don't like the look of sensors though.

- Great call on tilt mirror. Would be nice to have.

- Tq: I don't feel the motor is weak on tq at all. Pulls nice from 3k ish. Only super relevant on the street as on track you'll live at 5000 rpm +
Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

The car is fast - no doubt. I have only pushed her to 7000, while breaking her in, and I can not even imagine an extra 2000. Actually - how often will I even use that on the street. But - at times it is more about knowing it is there than actually going there. Hey - the car hits 60 mph in 3 seconds. How often will I be doing that??; probably not too many but sure as hell good knowing it is feasible.

What I love most about this car was exactly what I thought it would offer. More rawness and an enhanced emotional/visceral experience that the Audi and other Porsche variants can not offer in one complete package.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Hey - the car hits 60 mph in 3 seconds. How often will I be doing that??; probably not too many but sure as hell good knowing it is feasible.
A real man does that through the drive thru!!

Thanks for the comments. Can't wait.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

-Exterior- it can be a little tough on entry while seating but once your butt is planted it is very comfortable and fitting.
Jimmy,

Great post. I'm a little confused on the above comment. Could you please clarify? I get the part about once you're seated it's comfortable, but not the first part. Thanks

Also, thanks to to your other posts, in my "Panamera GTS AND GT3 owners" thread which were insightful, as were some of the other members who chimed in, I did place my order today for a GT3. In Rhodium but also thinking Guards Red. Probably going Rhodium because it's the one I saw initially and fell in love with - AND because I was never interested in a GT3 before coming upon this car at my dealership when there with my Panny. Sort of a "meant to be.." kinda thing. Oddly enough, this GT3 had the 5 spoke black wheels that's on the turbo, not the centerlocks. Dealershiop told me today they are not available on the GT3. But this one did have them.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome post. What I like the best are your thoughts about the PDK. With this tranny I completely understand. And I WAS one of those, I WILL NEVER HAVE AN AUTO!!! people. But this Tranny makes everything fun. "I want to still shift" is like "I still want to hand wash our guest toilet instead of using the new fire hose and drain system I put in" One stinks and the other is fun but both do the same thing!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

-Wing – I have heard many complaints that it really obstructs their rear view. It is not a problem for me and no need for a rear camera. May be my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found. But – best looking wing on the market and it looks like it belongs
I think the wing on the GT3 is fine. Yes, it obstructs the view, but at least it looks cool.

Try driving the new Jag F-Type with its little flipper wing up at speed. Blocks the entire rear view and you're stuck looking at a backwards upside down JAGUAR and a picture of cat that looks like its dead.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

KenU - I was trying to be objective and look at this car from more than just what my point of view might be. Getting in and out of this car is not a problem for me at all. But, if I want to be critical; the car is very low to the ground and the seats appear to be lower than say the 991 C2S. Almost a very go-kart type a feeling and I like that. But, some may complain it might be a little tough to get in to the seat but very comfortable once positioned. It is not extreme like the McLaren MP4 which you are stepping over the top of a tub and sitting way down. That car is a PIA, in my opinion, getting in and out of but I am also splitting hairs now and most may have no issues at all.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^
Gotcha! I happen to agree with you, thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Great comments. Thanks Jimmy

One aspect that could be improved, interestingly enough, is pedal placement. They seem to have kept the 'great' 3-pedal placement w/ the 2-pedal set-up.

It's fine until you need to left brake. At that point, you find way too much travel from foot rest and you are awkwardly twisted to the right.

BMW seems to have done a better job of adjusting the 2-pedal set-up, IMO.
Great observation! I brake with my left foot and initially found the pedals awkward. Still not accustomed to the placement.

Regarding difficult getting in our out of the car, the only way I can do this is go in butt first with my feet still on the street and swing my feet into the car. I reverse the process getting out. I am 5'11' and weight 165 lbs and it is still a pain to get in and out of the car.

Tim, the right side mirror is a sore point with me. The C2S loaner I had had the feature and it make a huge difference while backing up. Don't understand why they did not include the feature especially with the tail blocking the rear view.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope the right hand tilt mirror comes with MY15. It could have been just an oversight with MY14
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
I hope the right hand tilt mirror comes with MY15. It could have been just an oversight with MY14
Historically, GT cars have never had this feature, so don't hold your breath.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Historically, GT cars have never had this feature, so don't hold your breath.
But it should just be a software update that could be done to make more customers happy...

It would be nice to have parallel parking so as to not curb a rim too.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Great observation! I brake with my left foot and initially found the pedals awkward. Still not accustomed to the placement. Regarding difficult getting in our out of the car, the only way I can do this is go in butt first with my feet still on the street and swing my feet into the car. I reverse the process getting out. I am 5'11' and weight 165 lbs and it is still a pain to get in and out of the car. Tim, the right side mirror is a sore point with me. The C2S loaner I had had the feature and it make a huge difference while backing up. Don't understand why they did not include the feature especially with the tail blocking the rear view.
Totally agree, Nick!

Well. I don't see why it can't be a simple software update. But...perhaps logic is overrated.

Quick Reply: Devil's advocate - what is not so good?