Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got pulled over for the FIRST TIME EVER in a 911! WITH my V1!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I got pulled over for the FIRST TIME EVER in a 911! WITH my V1!

I am coming back from Mammoth Lakes after a refreshingly cool weekend! JUST get on the highway and my V1 goes off. I am amazed at the sensitivity and I check my speed. No real worry, a idiot in a new honda accord SPORT has to show ME and passes me right up just as the CHP lines up behind us in the left hand lane. He goes by me and I tell the wifey, MAN I hope he pulls over the Accord. NOPE! he slows down and I have to go by him and he gets behind me and PULLS me over! So now my heart is beating 200-300 beats a minute (My max is 180) so he is walking up and my wife and I are looking for my wallet! ITS NOT HERE! I LEFT IT AT HOME!! He knocks on the passenger window and we roll it down and he says, "You cant have that up in the windshield". So now He can write me up for that, and then it comes: "may I have your license and registration?" I tell him we forgot the wallet at home and my wife is going to drive I am so SORRY!" I dont whine but I was pretty damn close to whining.
He drops the bomb. "Ah dont worry about it go on I aint gonna write you a ticket. I just want to know when did you pick me up?" I told him" I didnt hear it till he got behind me" "I saw you when it went off" He says "thank you" and lets me go! By the time I got to Bishop my heart had come down to below my physical max and I no longer felt like evacuating my bowels but what a break!
He didnt even make wifey and I change driver. What a nice guy!
The reason I believe I didnt pick him up was because I was getting on the hwy and so was he from the opposite direction and we were blocked by the overpass. But what a break!

SO whats the deal in Cali? where can you put your Detector?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He just wanted to check out your car. I think you cant have it below the rear view mirror.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I am coming back from Mammoth Lakes after a refreshingly cool weekend! JUST get on the highway and my V1 goes off. I am amazed at the sensitivity and I check my speed. No real worry, a idiot in a new honda accord SPORT has to show ME and passes me right up just as the CHP lines up behind us in the left hand lane. He goes by me and I tell the wifey, MAN I hope he pulls over the Accord. NOPE! he slows down and I have to go by him and he gets behind me and PULLS me over! So now my heart is beating 200-300 beats a minute (My max is 180) so he is walking up and my wife and I are looking for my wallet! ITS NOT HERE! I LEFT IT AT HOME!! He knocks on the passenger window and we roll it down and he says, "You cant have that up in the windshield". So now He can write me up for that, and then it comes: "may I have your license and registration?" I tell him we forgot the wallet at home and my wife is going to drive I am so SORRY!" I dont whine but I was pretty damn close to whining.
He drops the bomb. "Ah dont worry about it go on I aint gonna write you a ticket. I just want to know when did you pick me up?" I told him" I didnt hear it till he got behind me" "I saw you when it went off" He says "thank you" and lets me go! By the time I got to Bishop my heart had come down to below my physical max and I no longer felt like evacuating my bowels but what a break!
He didnt even make wifey and I change driver. What a nice guy!
The reason I believe I didnt pick him up was because I was getting on the hwy and so was he from the opposite direction and we were blocked by the overpass. But what a break!

SO whats the deal in Cali? where can you put your Detector?
I've run a V1 at the same height as the rear view, on the passenger side of the windshield, since the 90's with no comment from cops when I'm stopped for being 20+ over. The only "deal" I know for sure in California is just to stay at less than 7-8 mph over, and you're fine so long as you're otherwise clean.
I'm not following the whole story clearly, but I guess the cop thought the radar was obstructing the view of the driver and perhaps they thought they had a better chance you were driving dirty until they got a look at you.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

maybe your wife was cute ;-)
even on over pass V1 should have picked up.
i put my right DEAD CTR on windshield. i mean DEAD CENTER, so about 12 inches below inside rear view mirror. cops never bothered me and my wife isn't cute, perhaps my wife's wrinkles scared off CA's finest and her ride (the broom) in the back seat prolly told them to leave me alone.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know where he came from, for all I Know he didnt have it on till he got on the hwy, he wasnt ON 395 when I got on. But just 10 minutes later the V1 was in my wifes PURSE! And it picked up a CHP coming head on about a half mile away.
That was the first time I have ever had where I saw the CHP at the same time I picked it up on the V1
Oh and Yea the wife is cute and blonde. Mooty you have seen her at Willow
Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

You can't have it anywhere on the windshield. It's totally retarded. It's maybe 2 inches square on the end, but they can write you up for obstructing the view.

Of course, when you buy a car and they put that temporary registration paper on the window, it blocks about six square inches, and there is no law about how big the rear view mirror can be (which obstructs view), and you can have a nav system on the windshield.

You lucked out, but the laws are moronic, as are many of the cops.

Glad to hear that you ran into one of the few decent ones.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

www.countryjoycrafts.com makes a great mount.....not sure if it can be hardwired to the mirror yet though.....I run it in my GTR with an invisicord and looks great.....it sounds as though it's probably not Kosher in your state
Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the best radar detector. Anyone tried the rockymountain? There is one with a jammer. I never had one since I moved to Texas in 16 years ago. But I had my shares of tickets with and without one before that
Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
So what's the best radar detector. Anyone tried the rockymountain? There is one with a jammer. I never had one since I moved to Texas in 16 years ago. But I had my shares of tickets with and without one before that
Passport 9500ci It's built in and has the laser shifter. I would be in the clink if I didn't have it. You cannot escape Laser UNLESS you have a laser shifter (Scrambler). When you are getting shot w/ laser it is instant. and rarely is there deflection from other cars which could cause a warning signal which is why you have to scramble it long enough to slow down then disarm the scrambler.

Not cheap $2k+ but stealth and it works, I promise you.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

180 max?? I thought you were old....
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^He is right. That is the Mac-daddy. In IL you can not use a scrambler/jammer so I use the Passport 9500ix. Has never failed me. Cost about $500. I have it hardwired in with a mute switch
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think for in car, V1 and there is nothing even close... for actually hard installed including jammer, etc., that's a whole different category and price point, hear great things about 9500 passport...

in tx we can have them, so mine just stays in the car at all time... only tickets I have ever received with V1 on is with instant-on laser.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
maybe your wife was cute ;-)
even on over pass V1 should have picked up.
i put my right DEAD CTR on windshield. i mean DEAD CENTER, so about 12 inches below inside rear view mirror. cops never bothered me and my wife isn't cute, perhaps my wife's wrinkles scared off CA's finest and her ride (the broom) in the back seat prolly told them to leave me alone.
Now, that's funny right there...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
He just wanted to check out your car.
Agreed. I've had this happen before, as recently as about a month ago. The cop was real nice, kept telling me I needed to slow down, all while looking over my car.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
proven to be worthless, never buy one of those to me its irresponsible and unethical of the car magazines to accept ads form the knowing they dont work

Quick Reply: I got pulled over for the FIRST TIME EVER in a 911! WITH my V1!