Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 Allocation Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically, I don't know why a dealer would offer a refundable deposit. What's the point? The person who leaves the deposit expects the dealer to act in good faith and hold a car for them even if someone else wants to buy it. One the other hand, some people are leaving 4 deposits at 4 different dealerships meaning they have no intention of buying from At least 3 of those.
My guess is that the dealer in Arlington had some bad experiences with deposits then instituted that policy.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Hey man - I would not trust a dealer who I never visited who took my order on the phone for a GT3. I think for both parties involved better to do it person. Heck - I laid a $120,000 deposit last July on my "trade in" and just got the car until last Sat. I think this is legit and fair
I've never been to the dealer I ordered mine from. I emailed all of the FL dealers looking for an allocation and came up empty, then this dealer contacted me when one opened up. I talked to the guy, felt comfortable, and took it. I don't think it's a problem, just use your best judgment.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Sorry - I missed the non-refundable part. I would hire a local lawyer like some one suggested above
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 PM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
Realistically, I don't know why a dealer would offer a refundable deposit. What's the point? The person who leaves the deposit expects the dealer to act in good faith and hold a car for them even if someone else wants to buy it. One the other hand, some people are leaving 4 deposits at 4 different dealerships meaning they have no intention of buying from At least 3 of those.
My guess is that the dealer in Arlington had some bad experiences with deposits then instituted that policy.
I agree. $5k non-refundable deposit in Australia; well, Adelaide for sure.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I also have to believe that with a non-refundable refund; the Dealership has a legal obligation to deliver you what ordered. I am sure there will be paper trail with an order number and a build sheet. With all that they just can not sell the car from under you. I can not believe thta has been happening. I am not talking about a 5000 deposit for an allocation if comes up. I am talking about a real deal.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:49 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of Porsche dealerships in the mid-atlantic area. If Arlington is asking for non-refundable the other dealerships. Why pay a lawyer + deposit? It makes for a bad experience from day 1. I put down a refundable deposit on my December build over a year ago with Porsche Silver Spring (Casey Parkin) and have had nothing but a good experience to date. Nothing shady and straightforward. I'm so happy that I also ordered a Macan! Good customer service goes a long way.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 AM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
There are a lot of Porsche dealerships in the mid-atlantic area. If Arlington is asking for non-refundable the other dealerships. Why pay a lawyer + deposit? It makes for a bad experience from day 1. I put down a refundable deposit on my December build over a year ago with Porsche Silver Spring (Casey Parkin) and have had nothing but a good experience to date. Nothing shady and straightforward. I'm so happy that I also ordered a Macan! Good customer service goes a long way.
Agreed, good customer service is very important. I'm a big fan of Casey's as well. Unfortunately, I got on his list too late.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:04 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I can almost understand a $1k non-refundable deposit, so both parties have a little skin in the game. Regardless of options ordered on a GT3 the dealer will be able to sell at or above MSRP so a high non-refundable deposit is IMHO not warranted.

In the case of an order for another 911 variant where the prospective buyer orders some bizarre configuration (maybe lime gold metallic with red interior) I could understand a higher non-refundable deposit.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
I believe in many states car dealerships are not permitted to do this.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I think a dealer in another state would bump you deposit or not if one of their best customers wanted the car.
That was the issue I had.....originally I placed an order with a dealer in Manhattan....He said he was the biggest Porsche dealer on the East Coast and I could get whatever I wanted....it was an honor for me to be their customer.....I won't name names....I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling....emails were returned slow and sometimes not at all....I gave a CC for a deposit and he never ran it....I wasn't asking for any *** kissing but just a little more attention.....a week later I got a call from Princeton Porsche with an allocation and told him to hang on.....

Emailed the other dealer and told him I was out....a minute later he got back to me all bent out of shape....remember other emails sometimes were never returmed....said circumstances had changed and I can't take the car....

Oct build/ Dec delivery with a dealer and salesman I'm very comfortable with....
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
That was the issue I had.....originally I placed an order with a dealer in Manhattan....He said he was the biggest Porsche dealer on the East Coast and I could get whatever I wanted....it was an honor for me to be their customer.....I won't name names....I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling....emails were returned slow and sometimes not at all....I gave a CC for a deposit and he never ran it....I wasn't asking for any *** kissing but just a little more attention.....a week later I got a call from Princeton Porsche with an allocation and told him to hang on.....

Emailed the other dealer and told him I was out....a minute later he got back to me all bent out of shape....remember other emails sometimes were never retured....said circumstances had changed and I can't take the car....

Oct build/ Dec delivery with a dealer and salesman I'm very comfortable with....
Not much different from my experience. I told all the Porsche salesmen I spoke to or left messages with that I would buy a Turbo S or GT3 - new, used, on the lot, or allocation. Some never returned my call. The few I spoke w/ dragged their feet to the extent I gave up on them. The few who followed up on my phone messages, did so long after I moved on. Sometimes, you just can't give money away.

Finally, I call a dealer and just ask for Porsche Sales. I get a rookie salesman on the phone (at the same dealer as two of the feet draggers), and we do a GT3 deal the next day. Dec. delivery.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

My salesman is really good but most are just order takers.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I deal with Pfaff Porsche in Toronto. I have never had an issue like this. Pleasant and knowledgable salespeople. Very unfortunate you had to deal with that crap.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shapiroeric

Emailed the other dealer and told him I was out....a minute later he got back to me all bent out of shape....remember other emails sometimes were never returmed....said circumstances had changed and I can't take the car....

Sounds like a typical Ferrari dealership
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I believe in many states car dealerships are not permitted to do this.
I think many dealers say non-refundable deposit to make sure that you are serious about completing the transaction. So yes, if you took them to court then they would probably have to give it back. But you can't make them take a deposit if they don't think that you are serious. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: '15 Allocation Available