Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track prep DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So, what is the difference in track times and/or enjoyment for a relative newbie to the track who doesn't do all these mods before heading to the circuit?

. This seems like an impressive but large amount of cost and time involved for prepping what I assumed is already a track ready car? Thanks for an informative post, I'll be following jt even if it may be awhile or never before I start cutting into my dream car

We are all from different experience levels and walks of life, which is why I love this forum.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
No fair, need more info, please?
What info do you need? 19's in stock offsets 9 front and 12 rear can run the 265 front and 325 rear Hoosiers with no issues. The track tire mystery is solved
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
+1!
Spartan's Dad was driving the 991 GT3 beast. Did you see/hear Spartan's ride? UNBELIEVABLE!

Spartan, 2 questions:
-stock exhaust on the 991 GT3?
-is that Anthracite trim in the cabin?
thx!
Stock exhaust and the standard aluminum trim
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Did you see/hear Spartan's ride? UNBELIEVABLE!
Oh yes! I saw the aerobatic reptile.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Spartan thank u!
when my car ever shows up, I'll be knocking ur door down for info!
great post
Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
What info do you need? 19's in stock offsets 9 front and 12 rear can run the 265 front and 325 rear Hoosiers with no issues. The track tire mystery is solved
Thank you.
Are the BBS wheels the same as for the 997? You mentioned something but I'm not sure I got it right.
Also, did you feel the Hoosiers had a significantly better grip than the PSC2 and do you have a guess as to how much time can be shaved off in a short (1.7-2) mile track? (I never used Hoosiers so excuse the possible ignorance).
What was the optimum hot tire pressure you found to work best on the Hoosiers for the 991?
Finally, did you drive on them long enough to assess for any weird tire wear associated with RWS?
Sorry too many questions.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:17 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, what is the difference in track times and/or enjoyment for a relative newbie to the track who doesn't do all these mods before heading to the circuit?

. This seems like an impressive but large amount of cost and time involved for prepping what I assumed is already a track ready car? Thanks for an informative post, I'll be following jt even if it may be awhile or never before I start cutting into my dream car

We are all from different experience levels and walks of life, which is why I love this forum.
I think you will find it is progressive thing. With all of my previous cars (EVO IX, 350Z, GTR, M3) mods just just kept growing as I learned more, found the limits, fixed the inherent design limitations and could handle better tools on the track.

For most of us, who are not great track guys, small changes over time are better than jumping in right away and every new platform needs time to be stressed to expose its problems. The stock car is awesome on the track, even the one I rented, mine is coming in December.

The first question is are you just having fun on the occasional track day (7-8/year for me) and doing the things you can't or shouldn't on the street or are you competing for times? If times matter, then you will find yourself adding increments to improve the time, lower the weight and improve the dynamics. the second is your tolerance for track level harshness will you tolerate on the street. For me this will be a daily driver, so the street wins over an all out track setup up.

That being said, modifying cars is like a bad addiction, However, as you reach the edge of the what your are comfortable with, your natural competitiveness will come out and mods will happen So I would wait until you get used to the car and adjust the things you find as limits.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thank you.
Are the BBS wheels the same as for the 997? You mentioned something but I'm not sure I got it right.
Also, did you feel the Hoosiers had a significantly better grip than the PSC2 and do you have a guess as to how much time can be shaved off in a short (1.7-2) mile track? (I never used Hoosiers so excuse the possible ignorance).
What was the optimum hot tire pressure you found to work best on the Hoosiers for the 991?
Finally, did you drive on them long enough to assess for any weird tire wear associated with RWS?
Sorry too many questions.
Hoosiers make the world go round for a track guy. Several seconds difference. Braking and turning is night and day compared to a street tire (which the psc2 is). Keep them 36-38 max hot so start out at least 10 psi less in the morning. After each session I always bleed off to 34 back at the garage after the cool down lap and it works perfect most of the time.

No issues with RWS at all. The setup is money
Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hoosiers make the world go round for a track guy. Several seconds difference. Braking and turning is night and day compared to a street tire (which the psc2 is). Keep them 36-38 max hot so start out at least 10 psi less in the morning. After each session I always bleed off to 34 back at the garage after the cool down lap and it works perfect most of the time.

Fantastic, thank you so very much.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Spartan any updates from your track exploits with the 991 GT3?

Id be interested in the Motorsport part numbers for those rear shims if you have managed to find them?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Can we make this thread a sticky?

Originally Posted by Dan39
Spartan, thx for this thread. What track are you running at and is it high speed, heavy braking, etc? Are you planning on adding any rear wing? Have you thought about the Cup car front splitter? It looks very similar like it might be not much more than bolt-on? I assume canards will come out later like they did for the prior gen.

EDIT: the reason I ask is I found it to have a bit of high speed oversteer and the braking to not be quite as good as I would have expected. Braking points when I compared the my track video to someone like TRACKCAR's at the same track were nowhere close - like 5 car lengths earlier, which I assume is downforce and maybe slicks on his 4.0 even though the laptime was similar?
Maybe you mean Trackfan ;-) , but if you mean TRAKCAR, the 4.0 never made it to Road America and I've only run Toyo RA1 on the 3.8RS, but yes downforce always max...

Thanks!! 265 is awesome in front as the 991 seems to need all the front grip help it can get..

Originally Posted by mooty
Spartan thank u!
when my car ever shows up, I'll be knocking ur door down for info!
great post
We may show up together :-)

I don't trust Hoosiers myself, too many went bad for me, I prefer a sturdier and slower tire like Nitto etc. but 19's opens up a lot more possibilities. Thanks for doing the hard work.

Originally Posted by Macca
Spartan any updates from your track exploits with the 991 GT3?

Id be interested in the Motorsport part numbers for those rear shims if you have managed to find them?
Yes updates please!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

The car was fine no issues at all. Well we didn't get the can bus connection right so the data on the cam was incomplete but other than that no issues. Tire wear was nice and even. Put in about 1/2 quart of oil after 4 hours of track time.

Decided to install studs to make changing brake pads easier. 991 cup front studs work for the front but not for the rear. Have to use 997 studs for that which we sourced from tarrett (which are made by MSI who are the best for studs).

Here is the parts list for the 991 cup rear camber shims. Item number 3
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It just gets better and better!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Spartan. Your help on the rear shims very much appreciated.

regards the studs we are talking converting CL to 5 stud right? Was it an expensive and/or difficult exercise? Any pictures of the finished product?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spartan,

Your the MAN thank you for this very helpful information.

Quick Reply: Track prep DIY