More conjecture on 2015 991 GT3 Allocations, or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I too agree with quality of race's post, unlike many on the manual v. PDK debate.

However, I echo Mike's view. As a new owner, the engine/PDK/steering/chassis integration is amazing. This car was meant to have PDK and I actually think the power delivery aspects are perfect for PDK.

Though the car is on paper very digital, in reality it has an organic, analogue feel. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. From the engine sounds, to the drivetrain lash to the violence of up/down shifts and steering feel. All great stuff.

I am on record stating for months that I'd take the PDK risk and sell the car w/i months if it didn't scratch that itch. If I was at all on the fence about PDK, I would remain silent on this forum and soon sell my car and not post about PDK until my car is sold. That's simply not going to happen.

The best 911 ever. So far.

------------------------
eloquently put. you are lawyer?

Originally Posted by ranger22
Interesting comment. When you have the option between manual and dual clutch it's a tough decision to make. It's even tougher to determine whether you're happy with your decision because you're predisposed to lying to yourself to believe you made the right decision.

I bought a DCT M3 and thought for a while that I loved the transmission. The lightning fast shifts and perfect rev matching are quite addicting. However after the honeymoon period, I started to realized that I felt kind of ridiculous manually shifting my automagic car. At this point, I don't even bother anymore because it's just a mental game to make me feel like I'm involved.

It took a while, but I think I've come to the decision that I'm happier with a manual and the struggle to master the perfect heel toe. I also don't mind the inconvenience of a manual in stop and go traffic as much as I thought I did. In fact, I've realized that I never thought of a manual as a potential inconvenience until the option of a dual clutch transmission became available.

How does this ramble relate to the 991 GT3? Well, I'm watching closely to hear people's comments about the pdk-s. So far it's seemingly positive, but I wonder if those comments are the result of the "honeymoon period" that I experienced with my M3. I wonder if in time so many people will remain happy with the PDK. The outcome is interesting to me because I Find myself back on the fence trying to decide again whether I want to go forth with my 991 GT3 purchase or sit back and enjoy my manual and see what happens with the GT4.

So many proponents of the 991 GT3 talk about faster tech and keeping up with the competitors, but we lose sight that much of the original appeal of the GT3 line was that purity and challenge of the car. It never was the fastest nor the easiest to drive, but damn when you got it right it was so much more rewarding than those faster easier to drive cars. I wonder if future generations of GT3 owners will ever experience such reward.
pdk-s is not smg, F1, dsg etc. it's different.
i respect manual and will always have a few in the grage. but if i were given a choice or 991GT3 in stick and pdk, i prolly buy both. the engine is great. note i didn't say reliability or durability. it's too new. so i am not sugar coating. pdk is like a cup car shifter. for me and a few others who i know raced cups, there is no way in hell they would do H pattern again. i have 6 and 7 cup. i only drive the 6 when i ran low in money. the 7 with sequential (sort of like paddle) is way more fun. and those who knows me, know i hate technology period. if wife and daughter aren't home, i dont watch tv. i cant figure out how to turn it on and i will not bother to learn. i dont really use gps in my car b/c i can't figure it out, i must rather get lost and call chp to get me home and i do that often. i collect steel bike but i ride cf bikes. and just now got super record eps electronic shifting over mechanical. old stuff have it's value but the new stuff, some are just really good.... if you find paddle not engaging, you are going too slow.

it's lik having a great revolver vs a ak47. it's nice to be accurate, but sometimes it's just more fun to shoot at everything and anything....

ok, i need a shrink and it's getting too late. i need meds.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Once they end production if Feb 2015; figure 2 years later, if history repeats itself for the next model -992 GT3. I have to believe the RS will be rolled out in Paris and to Detroit in winter 2015.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Why wouldn't there be a 2016 991.1 GT3? And is expected that the 991.2 GT3 would be much different from the 991.1 (eg, no longer NA)?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

They don't historically follow that production sequence though. It is a typical two build year run and that's it. There is no revisiting the same model as it changes the production planning and sequencing. If it is built again the next iteration is always the follow up not the same version. Has never been different.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Alex this is not correct.
So you're saying this is the prettiest and fastest version ever Macca?.. Forever-ever?

Maybe I need to go purchase two of them then??
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I think he is saying if you want one find an allocation some where or you are going to wait a couple of years. You will then go thru the allocation shuffle again. LOL.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If 2016s will truly be a facelift 991.2/992, perhaps 991 GT3 will stop in February and RS will be announced this fall with production only from Jan-May 2015. 991 GT3 could be limited model and 991 GT3RS could be nearly as exclusive as the 997 GT3 RS 4.0.

Ryan
Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
If 2016s will truly be a facelift 991.2/992, perhaps 991 GT3 will stop in February and RS will be announced this fall with production only from Jan-May 2015. 991 GT3 could be limited model and 991 GT3RS could be nearly as exclusive as the 997 GT3 RS 4.0.

Ryan
That's about what I'm getting from my dealer who says he got it from PCNA. As always take it FWIW. I jumped into one of their last GT3s for this reason.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
K997 - I was hesitant to convey this for that reason. I have had not so good intel; and pretty good intel. But- I have an obligation, I feel, to convey what I hear and think could be important. If people start getting allocations then it is good intel. I do not think production ending on the GT3 in Feb is new. I was glad to hear allocations leaking out. I think right now dealers are really sensitive to this because there is a waiting list at many of them and they will not be able to meet demand. I meant this to be positive that there will be more allocations. Just stay on top of it and call around. I am sorry if I can not provide more because I do not want to get burned. But, if what I was told is wrong, I can not see how this would hurt anything and that is why I felt it was worth posting.

I want every one who wants one and is passionate for Porsches to get one

No worries, we appreciate the update. Sucks for me though as I really want one but can't realistically pull the trigger until later next year.

Do you guys (or gals) think the GT3 will continue to be produced once the RS has been released? My local dealer here as told me yes, but I'm not so confident in his answer.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Update - Please do not shoot the messenger and whether what I heard is true or not is up to you to decide(nothing too new). But - It appears the 991 GT3 will end production at the end of Feb. Yes - there are 2015 allocations going out now. It looks like it is half of what the Dealers got for 2014. It appears to be real quiet. I would start sniffing around Dealers for them now and try to land one. Yes- this will be an exclusive model. Not trying to stir any thing but I think this is more positive news. Also some dealers getting a "bonus" allocation- like an extra one.
Jimmy - Do we know the number of '14s and early '15s? By early 15's I am speaking of the cars that are being produced Sept thru Nov, which some indicate are leftover 14s. I'm in this group. I recall hearing that there were 700 plus built with 400ish in the US. Not sure if this includes the early 15s though. A while back my dealer speculated there would be fewer 15's so maybe 1,300 - 1,400 14's and 15's all in.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
If it helps for the intel in this thread, I received a new allocation as of today, in writing....
Congrats! Must be a great feeling to know you are in.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 AM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Boom!! It just got sunnier in San Diego. Got my allocation for a December production 2015 GT3!!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congratulations
Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way the 992 GT3 will be 16 model. It will be a minimum of 2 years after 991 GT3 stops production as mentioned assuming there even will be a 992 GT3 made.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:13 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with above. Just recall how these special 911s are rolled out to the marketplace. 997.1s, 997.2s, 991s for recent history buffs. C2 and C2s then C4, C4s then the Targa and GT3s. Gaps between 997.1s and 997.2 GT3 production.

Quick Reply: More conjecture on 2015 991 GT3 Allocations, or lack thereof