Sponsored by:

My build - and first 911!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My build - and first 911!

I am happy to say that I am finally getting the car I have wanted since I was a kid (almost). I always wanted a 911, and the Turbos were always my favorite until the 991 generation. I am not a fan of the looks of the 991 Turbo and the 991 GT3 was love at first sight for me. The big wing that looked out of place to me on prior generations of GT3, almost an afterthought, is so well integrated into the 991 and really completes the car for me. I love the RWS and as a DD in an urban area, it’s nice to have the PDK to go full auto when in traffic that is crawling.

This will be my 2nd Porsche (currently driving a 2011 Boxster Spyder, also PDK), and my first new car! I have owned a 1988 Audi 90 Quattro, and currently also own a 1995 Land Rover Range Rover County Classic SWB (Fergie, who I consider a member of the family, now undergoing a complete restoration), and a 2007 Audi A3 3.2 S-Line (great little car, my GF’s DD). I am buying this GT3 with the intention of keeping it.

Here is my build, scheduled for delivery on December 17. I spent a lot of time on the configurator and I’m not messing with it anymore. You will see that I have included comments about why I made certain selections and did not make others.

After confirming the build and my selections yesterday, I ordered the Sharkwerks bypass, clear LED side markers from Bumperplugs, and I plan to install a backup camera (probably NAV TV), hard-wired Passport 9500ix, and clear bra (partial, probably Xpel Ultimate).

2T Jet Black Metallic (I have owned 3 silver cars, one white, ready for a change. I love the look of black on this car, understand that it is difficult to maintain, hoping that Jet Black Metallic is slightly easier to maintain)

Interior Color
28 Standard Interior in Black with Seats in Leather/Alcantara (would probably have done some extended leather/alcantara but don’t like contrast stitching)

Exterior
082 Extended Range Fuel Tank
602 LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) (I like new tech and hoping the automatic high beams end up working. If anything, maybe it helps me spot a moose earlier when up in NH; car always loses to moose in a collision)
P13 Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
XUB Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color (don’t want the chrome against the back)
XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish (bling, a waste of $ but small price to pay)

Performance
474 Front Axle Lift System (ripped the front splitter off of my Boxster Spyder on day 2 of ownership and GT3 looks lower so whatever helps)
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

Wheels
431 20" GT3 Wheels (the black wheels look great in person and I would consider on a car of another color but I think the standard wheels look best on a black car)

Interior
342 Seat Heating (ridiculous for Miami but may move back to NH one of these days and the GT3 is a keeper)
509 Fire Extinguisher (honestly, a bling option, I just like the red with the rest of the spec)
581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
583 Smoking Package (cleaner look)
630 Light Design Package (bling)
810 Floor Mats
P05 Sport Seats Plus (4-way) (my Spyder has the Sport Bucket Seats everyone wants, which are comfortable but adjust only forward and back, so 4-way is plenty, and height adjustable!!! for my 5’6” frame)
XSX Seat Belts in Guards Red (bling)

Interior Leather
XWK Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather (too expensive but really don’t like the standard light gray plastic)

Interior Carbon Fiber
EGB Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Standard (my Boxster Spyder has the standard trim and the silver shows scratches. I like the darker look of the Carbon Fiber with a black car)
XHM Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber

Interior Aluminum
XXB Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated (seems like they will hold up better than the Carbon Fiber sills)

Audio and Communications
490 Sound Package Plus
671 Voice Control (hoping this makes entering Navigation destinations easier)
690 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, NavTraffic, NavWeather and HD Radio Receiver (can’t be without Sirius, it was not an option in the Boxster Spyder and the iPhone work-around sucks)
P23 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module (Boxster Spyder PCM Navigation is worthless, really hoping that this one is better)
UN1 Online Services (not sure why I need this but maybe it helps me to use something like Waze if the factory Navigation sucks)

I probably would have ordered PCCB if offered in Red. I don’t like yellow and did not want to remove and paint new brakes I just paid $9,200 for. I suspect that I will never miss them.

Anyway, thank you all for your posts and pictures as they all helped to inform my decision and to ultimately find an allocation (at MSRP). Really looking forward to the ride.

Last edited by brass4321; 08-24-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM
cingulus
Racer

Congrats on getting the allocation.

I get mine about the same time, not sure where you live, but if you can get to Vegas, rent the GT3 they have at Exotics Racing. It will cement in your mind that you are making the right choice.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:28 PM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by cingulus
Congrats on getting the allocation.

I get mine about the same time, not sure where you live, but if you can get to Vegas, rent the GT3 they have at Exotics Racing. It will cement in your mind that you are making the right choice.
I'm in Miami but it's never hard to find an excuse to go to Vegas. I may need to do that. Also, the brother of the guy restoring my Rover is a Porsche Driving School instructor and he recommended trying that out. I may do both.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and enjoy your early Christmas present! FWIW, my brother has CF sills on his RS and found they scratched easily. So a good call, although I'm biased and went with the aluminum too!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by <3mph
Congrats and enjoy your early Christmas present! FWIW, my brother has CF sills on his RS and found they scratched easily. So a good call, although I'm biased and went with the aluminum too!
That's good to know. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, quite the spec on your GT3! I'm sure you'll love her. My GT3 in Racing Yellow is also scheduled for a December delivery.

Some discussion on the options.

Originally Posted by brass4321
602 LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) (I like new tech and hoping the automatic high beams end up working. If anything, maybe it helps me spot a moose earlier when up in NH; car always loses to moose in a collision)
This was recently discussed here in the 991 GT3 forum on rennlist. On the GT3, the LED lights are PDLS only, they do not include the camera system that allows the Plus functionality where the lights automatically shift from high beams to low beams when there is a car approaching.

P13 Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
XUB Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color (don’t want the chrome against the back)
XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish (bling, a waste of $ but small price to pay)
I consider the auto dimming mirrors a must have safety feature as I'm very sensitive to bright light. With black I agree that the cleaning system covers are best matching exterior color.

Performance
474 Front Axle Lift System (ripped the front splitter off of my Boxster Spyder on day 2 of ownership and GT3 looks lower so whatever helps)
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Coming from a ZR1 with a rather pricey fixed front splitter I think the lift should have been standard. We currently own a Cayman R and it scrapes on occasion. I think the lift also makes loading on a trailer, if you ever intend to tow to the track, a much easier affair.

Wheels
431 20" GT3 Wheels (the back wheels look great in person and I would consider on a car of another color but I think the standard wheels look best on a black car)
The durability of the stock wheels was recently discussed. It seems that the matte finish is done with a matte paint rather than a matte clear. The stock matte wheels seem prone to chipping and the chips show through a white primer.

Interior
509 Fire Extinguisher (honestly, a bling option, I just like the red with the rest of the spec)
630 Light Design Package (bling)
The fire extinguisher is diminutive, not worth the $. There are better mounts and much better extinguishers available aftermarket.

I spec'd the light design package as well, but I'm really not sure if it will be truely useful. Some posts say it gives a one touch button to turn all the interior lights on which sounds handy.

Interior Aluminum
XXB Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated (seems like they will hold up better than the Carbon Fiber sills)
I've heavily debated the sill options. There are a couple of posts from the 997 era that say the LEDs that provide the illumination tend to fail requiring replacement of the sill. Combined with the fact that you only really see the sill when entering the car or cleaning, I opted for standard sills.

Audio and Communications
490 Sound Package Plus
671 Voice Control (hoping this makes entering Navigation destinations easier)
690 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, NavTraffic, NavWeather and HD Radio Receiver (can’t be without Sirius, it was not an option in the Boxster Spyder and the iPhone work-around sucks)
P23 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module (Boxster Spyder PCM Navigation is worthless, really hoping that this one is better)
UN1 Online Services (not sure why I need this but maybe it helps me to use something like Waze if the factory Navigation sucks)
I can't stand the location of the siriusXM antenna on the roof, just ruins the look of the roof line.

Almost all vehicle navigation sucks. Google maps through my android device is usually far superior. I spec'd the PCM so I can add the NAV TV backup camera.

Ryan
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by reidry
Congrats, quite the spec on your GT3! I'm sure you'll love her. My GT3 in Racing Yellow is also scheduled for a December delivery.

This was recently discussed here in the 991 GT3 forum on rennlist. On the GT3, the LED lights are PDLS only, they do not include the camera system that allows the Plus functionality where the lights automatically shift from high beams to low beams when there is a car approaching.

I consider the auto dimming mirrors a must have safety feature as I'm very sensitive to bright light. With black I agree that the cleaning system covers are best matching exterior color.

Coming from a ZR1 with a rather pricey fixed front splitter I think the lift should have been standard. We currently own a Cayman R and it scrapes on occasion. I think the lift also makes loading on a trailer, if you ever intend to tow to the track, a much easier affair.

The durability of the stock wheels was recently discussed. It seems that the matte finish is done with a matte paint rather than a matte clear. The stock matte wheels seem prone to chipping and the chips show through a white primer.

The fire extinguisher is diminutive, not worth the $. There are better mounts and much better extinguishers available aftermarket.

I spec'd the light design package as well, but I'm really not sure if it will be truely useful. Some posts say it gives a one touch button to turn all the interior lights on which sounds handy.

I've heavily debated the sill options. There are a couple of posts from the 997 era that say the LEDs that provide the illumination tend to fail requiring replacement of the sill. Combined with the fact that you only really see the sill when entering the car or cleaning, I opted for standard sills.

I can't stand the location of the siriusXM antenna on the roof, just ruins the look of the roof line.

Almost all vehicle navigation sucks. Google maps through my android device is usually far superior. I spec'd the PCM so I can add the NAV TV backup camera.

Ryan
Ryan, thanks for all of your input and congrats on your build! Very much appreciated. I'm glad that I locked my build or I would be back at the configurator again. Anyway, I am comfortable with the choices and not looking back. The one thing I had not heard about was the stock wheels chipping away to white primer. What are people doing to deal with this (besides choosing other wheels)?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome specs, congrats. I have a jet black Panamera and love that color, has nothing in common with basalt black and one notch easier to keep clean than standard black (OK, half a notch). The one option I regret not getting is the seat backs in leather. I agree with you it's a much better look than stock grey plastic.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome specs, congrats. I have a jet black Panamera and love that color, has nothing in common with basalt black and one notch easier to keep clean than standard black (OK, half a notch). The one option I regret not getting is the seat backs in leather. I agree with you it's a much better look than stock grey plastic.
Thanks Sam. I'm glad to hear that you like the Jet Black Metallic as I have never seen it myself. Also happy about the leather seat backs, despite the price.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Ryan
Ryan, what do you mean by "I spec'd the PCM so I can add the NAV TV backup camera?" What do you need to spec to be able to add the backup cam?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Ryan, what do you mean by "I spec'd the PCM so I can add the NAV TV backup camera?" What do you need to spec to be able to add the backup cam?
You need the PCM unit to add the aftermarket NAV TV backup camera system.

Ryan
Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 AM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Black looks awesome but it really is all the work everyone says it is. Was planning on getting the CF door sills then clear bra'ing them to prevent scratches. Anyone done this?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by bills742
Congrats! Black looks awesome but it really is all the work everyone says it is. Was planning on getting the CF door sills then clear bra'ing them to prevent scratches. Anyone done this?
Bills742 I spent 2 years in your area (Rochester) and while I am not missing those winters, I'd trade this Miami summer for Buffalo's in a heartbeat.

I've read comments from people planning on using clear bra application on the CF door sills so it seems like a reasonable option.

Regarding maintaining black paint, I'm starting to learn about what I have to look forward to. It sounds like Opti-Coat or Cquartz are recommended by a lot of people and maybe Xpel Ultimate or Suntek film. I have started to look for film installers in South Florida and have not really found any good recommendations. It appears that everyone uses the precut film instead of custom.

Any advice about this? Should I just skip the film, go with Opti-Coat or Cquartz, and just try my best to maintain it? My car will be a DD, commute of about 15 mi round trip, but the roads are a bit rough with perpetual street construction.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

You need the PCM unit to add the aftermarket NAV TV backup camera system.

Ryan
Got it! I was considering the PCM unit a given. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Brass, congratulations on the build. It's of course going to be a terrific car!
IMO the options one chooses fall into two categories. The ones that we feel are essential and those that are plain and simply personal choice. With the GT3 the difficulty for me when speccing mine was how easily the lines between the two get distorted and how "non-essentials" become essential!

Unless your spec is "locked", be prepared to go through a few iterations and enjoy that experience. IMO your car has the essentials....lift, the dimming mirrors, PCM.

Beautiful Black!... Great for someone who is not suffering from CCS (Clean Car Syndrome). If you are like me and do, the car ends up owning you! I've had a few black cars and I promise myself to never do it again!....I've resisted this time but the force is strong and of course I'll capitulate sometime.

Quick Reply: My build - and first 911!