Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My build - and first 911!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 AM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My spec does not lock until September 17 so I will attempt to switch to the Sport Buckets (subject to height adjustment) and will see what happens to my build date. Also hoping for 918 steering wheel option and backup camera to appear. All the talk about black paint has me a bit nervous but I just don't like the other colors as much so I will probably go for a coating like Opticoat or Cquartz coating and/or a film like Xpel Ultimate or Suntek.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brass4321
My spec does not lock until September 17 so I will attempt to switch to the Sport Buckets (subject to height adjustment) and will see what happens to my build date. Also hoping for 918 steering wheel option and backup camera to appear. All the talk about black paint has me a bit nervous but I just don't like the other colors as much so I will probably go for a coating like Opticoat or Cquartz coating and/or a film like Xpel Ultimate or Suntek.
brass, have you owned a black car before?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Brass - Congrats - Do the Xpel on the whole front end, headlights, side mirrors, and the turn signals in the front grill. Then have the Cquartz or Opticoat applied over the whole car including the film. I am having my whole car Cquartz next week so I will let you know what I think.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
brass, have you owned a black car before?
No. Three silver, one white. I want to try something different. Red (Amaranth does look sweet) and yellow aren't for me, dark blue was one I considered but it has some of the same maintenance issues as black and I don't like it as much. I would have strongly considered sport classic grey if available PTS. I thought about fashion grey until I saw it look beige in certain light. I just never found a color I liked as much as black on this car.

Last edited by brass4321; 08-26-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Brass - Congrats - Do the Xpel on the whole front end, headlights, side mirrors, and the turn signals in the front grill. Then have the Cquartz or Opticoat applied over the whole car including the film. I am having my whole car Cquartz next week so I will let you know what I think.
Thanks Jimmy. My only concern about Xpel is that all of the South Florida installers I have found use the pre-cut kits instead of custom wrapping . I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

No. Three silver, one white. I want to try something different. Red and yellow aren't for me, dark blue was one I considered but it has some of the same maintenance issues as black and I don't like it as much. I would have strongly considered sport classic grey if available PTS. I thought about fashion grey until I saw it look beige in certain light. I just never found a color I liked as much as black on this car.
b, black is a labour of love and providing you're not a stickler for your car to look clean at all times, you'll be fine. If I have a choice, I wouldn't get a black car again...too much work and every blemish shows. If you're still choosing colors, consider agate or maybe GT Silver (I know its a silver but...).
Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
b, black is a labour of love and providing you're not a stickler for your car to look clean at all times, you'll be fine. If I have a choice, I wouldn't get a black car again...too much work and every blemish shows. If you're still choosing colors, consider agate or maybe GT Silver (I know its a silver but...).
Agate looks a bit too monochromatic for my taste with the standard wheels, so I considered Agate with black wheels, but I like Jet Black Metallic better. GT Silver does look great. Ultimately, this is my dream car and I have to go with the options that excite me the most. Sticking with Jet Black Metallic.

Last edited by brass4321; 08-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Agate looks a bit too monochromatic for my taste with the standard wheels, so I considered it with black wheels, but I like black better. GT Silver does look great. Ultimately, this is my dream car and I have to go with the options that excite me the most. Sticking with Jet Black Metallic.
I totally understand and respect that. With the in mind, here's a couple of pics of my previous .2 GT3. Black looks stunning

Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM
sk0t
Instructor

My spec does not lock until September 17 so I will attempt to switch to the Sport Buckets (subject to height adjustment) and will see what happens to my build date.
They are not adjustable for height, even with a spanner; there are no additional holes in the mounts. You might be able to change the rails or mounts but they would be to aftermarket versions, if available. The other option would be to install an insert like race drivers do for for endurance events where one driver is shorter than the other.

Sorry, I just saw another thread and noticed that the buckets being offered are different to the original ROW buckets. I don't know if they will be adjustable for height.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Brass - I am sure some one on this forum in FL can help you with a custom installer that does not use pre-cuts. The guy who did mine did both and I agree. For the hood and some of the front he did Custom but on headlights and side mirrors he did pre-cuts which I also supported and recommended, because those smaller areas look better with the precise pre-cuts and do not have seams. So - there are sections of the car that will be equal to better with a precut over a custom install and vice-versa.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by sk0t
They are not adjustable for height, even with a spanner; there are no additional holes in the mounts. You might be able to change the rails or mounts but they would be to aftermarket versions, if available. The other option would be to install an insert like race drivers do for for endurance events where one driver is shorter than the other.

Sorry, I just saw another thread and noticed that the buckets being offered are different to the original ROW buckets. I don't know if they will be adjustable for height.
It looks like these are the 918 seats, which are height adjustable, I just want to confirm since the certain option on the GT3 have omitted features available on other P-cars (memory on the 18-way seats, auto high beams on LED)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM
brass4321
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
I totally understand and respect that. With the in mind, here's a couple of pics of my previous .2 GT3. Black looks stunning

Great looking car, love it in Black. Brave man taking it for a ride in the snow. Nice that you enjoyed it in all seasons.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Brass - I am sure some one on this forum in FL can help you with a custom installer that does not use pre-cuts. The guy who did mine did both and I agree. For the hood and some of the front he did Custom but on headlights and side mirrors he did pre-cuts which I also supported and recommended, because those smaller areas look better with the precise pre-cuts and do not have seams. So - there are sections of the car that will be equal to better with a precut over a custom install and vice-versa.
^ This. Following a similar path at the moment and coating the clear-bra after. Brass, I have a very good wrap on a P-car done in FL. Unfortunately don't have the contact info to hand. If you're interested send a PM and I'll get the details this evening. Good luck with the final specs your GT3.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Big congrats on getting an allocation. I'm hoping to place an order for one very soon, but probably will not end up getting one until late next year (if I'm lucky). I'm sure you are going to love life in it.

I will say that I hate the color black (impossible to maintain). I also am not a fan of modifying cars like these, so IMHO I would avoid the bypass. These cars really are perfect just the way they are...

Also, no Bluetooth option? I would definitely toss that in if it isn't already too late.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you about the 918 steering wheel...way better than current gen. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be available on any 991. Most likely will be on 992 or 991.2 (whatever they end up calling it).

Quick Reply: My build - and first 911!