Sponsored by:

rear window tint and tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts
Default rear window tint and tracking?

Have any of you had tinted windows in car that you tracked, particularly a GT3?

My GT3 arrived finally and will be released to me in the next 2 days.

My car is Guards Red with black headlights. I plan to tint the windows (a first for me) for many reasons. It completes the red/black color scheme, particularly the black headlights and grillwork, adds a little menace, and adds privacy when teenagers/rednecks pull up next to me.

I don't plan to go particularly dark as I'm not going for a gangsta look.

My question is this. One of the salespeople at my dealership is an experienced track rat and he warned my against tinting my rearview window, even a light tint out of concerns over visibility on the track.

Have any of you tracked a car with tinted rear windows? Has it really been a problem on the track?

I can't tint the front window in my state. I plan to do 45% for all four side windows, and 55% for the rear window. Anyone see a problem with that and tracking the car???
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 55% on my last car (TTS) and had no issues. Allan
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I heard the 3M Crystalline tint(no affiliation) has great visibility properties from the inside out. You can google it and get some good info. I had it done to my GT3 which I will pick up on Sat.. Some others have also gotten this tint on this forum so may be they can comment
Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

45-55% is quite dark. In our country 35% is the legal maximum. The danger is not for you are the driver but rather for the guy behind you trying to get a kine of sight through your windows to understand if its safe to pass you. I can understand this concern as a track guy. The risk of a poorly timed overtaking manoeuvre could be detrimental to your car too I suppose as an outside likelihood. That being said you are driving a 2014 991 GT3 so if you are being overtaken regularly it would be a surprise :-)
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

[/CENTER]
Originally Posted by allans
I had 55% on my last car (TTS) and had no issues. Allan
Allan. When are you going to finally post pictures of your Mexico blue PTS 991 GT3? Dying to see it and been waiting all week?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macca, Just took some. Hopefully will be posted soon. Allan
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
45-55% is quite dark. In our country 35% is the legal maximum. The danger is not for you are the driver but rather for the guy behind you trying to get a kine of sight through your windows to understand if its safe to pass you. I can understand this concern as a track guy. The risk of a poorly timed overtaking manoeuvre could be detrimental to your car too I suppose as an outside likelihood. That being said you are driving a 2014 991 GT3 so if you are being overtaken regularly it would be a surprise :-)
Great point. I may need to adjust my thoughts on this. I had detached retinas in both my eyes. This made me extremely sensitive to light. I have two cars with 35% and it definitely relieves the light coming in from the side. It is really dark though from a distance. I need to try some cars with less tint to see if it still works. I haven't been back on track since the surgeries, so I hadn't even thought of this issue.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
Macca, Just took some. Hopefully will be posted soon. Allan
Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

I do not think looking through GT3 is very effective - after all, that's what cars behind you will see:

With wing in a more aggressive position, roll bar and halo seats, there is practically no transparency from front to someone following the car, so tint would not matter for that much if at all. The only problem I found with the rear tint at the track was when hot rubber marbles stick to the inside of rear window, sometimes it's difficult to remove them without peeling off the tint. But you have to be following some aggressive drivers even more aggressively for that to become an issue.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Max. You have a point!

How the heck do you get tire marbles sticking to the inside of the rear window? You have the window right down?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Max said it, plus very few people will be passing you in this car. I have 20% tint on the rears, no issues.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the majority of people here run with groups that require proper point bys or the use of turn signals, having tinted windows is really not a big deal. In any of the events i have seen with open passing, there are usually a lot of race prepped cars with big wings and cages, seeing the driver is hard enough as is.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
spooky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have massive experience on track (prob 40 days) compared to some but I've had no problem 35-40% tint.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Max. You have a point!

How the heck do you get tire marbles sticking to the inside of the rear window? You have the window right down?
Yes, unfortunately these are the rules at tracks here - windows down. The buffeting is pretty annoying.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its crazy. We have no rules but was taught by a professional series winner to keep the window 3/4 up to reduce the chance of loosing my arm should I role the car. Afterall we have no window nets at the track days. When I took the GT3 to the track I went one better and wound the window up and ran air con. I figured with 475bhp it was still going to be much faster than my 292 bhp track car...

Quick Reply: rear window tint and tracking?