Sponsored by:

New observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy..... thats a big yes.

On friday and saturday however, I was not able to engage in hooligan mode because "ESC and TC not working, able to drive on" display came up. It happened twice and all it needed to do is engine off/on to reset it. So if you see your ESC and TC come one, DO NOT DO HOOLIGAN especially if you are butted up to another car.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Terrence, looking forward to seeing and hearing you exercise her on Mulholland. Guessing it is your white 4.0 that goes by from time to time...
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Quick off thread question. Can you pull up to a stop light and pull both paddles in and give the car a good rev like if it was a stick shift?
Jimmy, the manual has a section on quick starts.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I should of took the manual from the car on Friday because I could of reviewed it all week-that's what happens when you get too excited wen you first see your baby for the firs time
Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
LOLOLOL..... this is my first GT3 and I thought the noise was a good feature in relation to making it feel like a race car. Stupid me.
At the end of the day, I kind of like it. That jerky, whinny, rattlely effect feels like an overpowered car on a first gear crawl.
That was one reason why I hated my GTR and got rid of it in 6 months (after modifying the crap out of it!) I don't mind rough idle, but the single mass flywheel when combined with an "automatic" transmission just makes the car non-responsive and noisy, but not in a good way. In my RS 4.0, its a manual so you tend to control the rpm much better and not let it lug. In a PDK, I tend to be lazy and leave it in auto around town and thus the problem. If I were to shift it manually all the time, then it would be less of a nuisance.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
That was one reason why I hated my GTR and got rid of it in 6 months (after modifying the crap out of it!) I don't mind rough idle, but the single mass flywheel when combined with an "automatic" transmission just makes the car non-responsive and noisy, but not in a good way. In my RS 4.0, its a manual so you tend to control the rpm much better and not let it lug. In a PDK, I tend to be lazy and leave it in auto around town and thus the problem. If I were to shift it manually all the time, then it would be less of a nuisance.
Congrats on the new GT3 and Thanks for the comments Terrence. Most comments were spot-on. I use a Classic 80 GB iPod with no problems through the USB Port
but found it more convenient and space-saving to just transfer my iTunes Library
onto a Flash memory drive and leave them plugged into all my cars permanently.
Re the "memory seats", no one drives my GT3 but me so I've never missed that
function - and I can assure you the huge steel rotors are also quite awesome
on the track. I also have found them easier to modulate and less "touchy" under threshold braking than the ceramics on my student's cars - but those were not the latest 991 PCCB's nor do I have the same level of experience so the new PCCBs may be quite improved. In any event, the $25,000 PCCB replacement costs vs $2,500 for the steels rule out any consideration for me for heavy track use. Since you "hated" the noises and mechanical noises of the GTR, (which you have accurately described) perhaps you would be happier with a Turbo S which you will undoubtedly will find far quieter and smoother if less responsive and agile.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Terrence, it's too funny... I saw your comment on the noise and hadn't heard it but I drive in manual all the time. I tried to replicate the process last night, w/o success.

That is, until I offered my wife to drive it for the first time.... And sure enough, it made all sorts of rattles...

Sooooo... First, I like the rattles as mentioned above.

Second, if you drive even modestly harder, it goes away.

I'm back to manual only w/ aggressive shifts, even in traffic, and it's pure bliss!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick off thread question. Can you pull up to a stop light and pull both paddles in and give the car a good rev like if it was a stick shift?
Yes, and you can also dump the clutch when you release.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Just Jordan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something no one has talked about yet. Jimmy it works and works well, especially pulling up to a stop signs. I find you can make a much cooler sounding throttle blip then just downshifting(which is almost to much) It really lets you be obnoxious when you want! I just need to get better at doing it. Practice i guess.

Quick Reply: New observations