Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Color is Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tim, I didn't ask for anything. Basically I am just documenting quality issues.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:44 AM
chizi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
chizi -was your car stored outdoors or is that how you received it. I saw my car briefly on Friday at the Dealer and will pick up this Sat. My car had sat at the Port for 5 months here in the States so I will be doing a very long and hard inspection before taking possession.

Teamtrench - what had Porsche said??. If it was under the clear coat that sound like an issue from the factory but what do I know. Will they give you a 2015??
Jimmy - this is not my car. this was another customer collecting his car the day i ordered my. im collecting my on saturday. i hope the yellowing is not as bad. quite disappointing with being my first Porsche.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Jimmy,

I guess this car is stored in Mussafah (like mine was)
It stays outdoor but under shade as it is a multi level car parking.

It looks yellowish in dark place or under fluo lights and sometime NO, it is fine.
It looks OK under direct sunlight but it also depends on the angle you are seeing at it (check my pictures in you want, it is easily noticeable).
Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Teamtrench
Cruisin'

jimmy, after waiting 6 months for my car, I was so excited to finally get it home. I put it in the garage and started to detail the car. Then I found one spot, then another and then half a dozen on the rear bumper. Then the rocker panels were not painted correctly. I wanted to scream.

The area director from Louisville came to see the car along with the Porsche authorized body shop. All they could figure was that this happened in the paint shop. How did this get through quality?

Porsche offered to have a brand new car repainted. No way! I wanted a new car. I had some serious help from some good people at my local dealer along with the regional rep Jay. I am getting a new car slot in October and they are taking the car back. This has been a ridiculous ordeal.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

okay, I was going to avoid bringing this up so as not to make people worry needlessly. But given the report of brown spots on most of the panels and occurring under the clearcoat, I feel compelled to share some experience in this area.

There is a documented problem with paint that has been subjected to rain and dampness over a prolonged period, while still protected by the white plastic shipping material. Those plastic, protective panel covers that your dealer removes at PDI are not designed to cover the car for an extended period of time. They are to be removed within a couple days of delivery. The reason is that the layer of plastic can trap moisture and allow it to seep into the clearcoat and stain it. These stains typically will appear brown in coloration and tend to collect under flat spots where water can pool and be trapped by the white plastic.

The stains will be most visible on white cars and lighter colored cars, and more noticeable still on non-metallic paints. A dark metallic will hide the stains quite well. I personally have dealt with this problem and had a high end car ( not a Porsche) replaced due to the issue. I was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement due to the settlement with the manufacturer.

This issue is not to be confused with "rail dust." One of the solutions is to heat the car under a heat gun in an attempt to dry out the stains and clear them. That really only works if caught immediately. My advice is to inspect your paint thoroughly under natural light, both shaded and in direct sunlight and check numerous angles.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Teamtrench - Sorry to hear you have to deal with this but glad you will be getting a new car from the factory. I would not accept a new paint job, as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone noticed this yellowing of the front bumper on a non GT3 911? I'm wondering if this is a paint quality issue for the GT3 or a characteristic of white 911's in general.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Teamtrench
Cruisin'

MCSMCS1, what you are describing is exactly what happened to my car. They were the worst on the rear bumper. Only because I got in touch with some good people and the local Ann Arbor dealership was I able to get a new vehicle. Having to paint a 170,000 car, that had 200 miles, was not acceptable.

I was back at the dealer last night working on the new build. One upside, I got to add a few things that I missed the first time around!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
silverrules
Drifting

^The new one could potentially have the same issue, no?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Teamtrench
Cruisin'

I sure hope not. This car will not be sitting for 6 months waiting for a new engine.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Just an update on this. My dealer’s bodyshop inspected the car and agreed the front & rear bumpers are beyond the typical deviation and they will repaint under warranty. I’m still not sure if I’ll do it. In bright light conditions the bumpers look fine. I hate to repaint, but if it’s still bugging me in a couple of weeks I’ll do it.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I inspected mine and it looks fine. But, under certain lighting ect, with a good eye you can probably see a deviation but in most lighting it looks perfect. Had Xpel done on the whole front and next Friday car will be detailed and paint prepped and then is will be coated with Cquratz. This will give added protection to the paint and the Xpel and help prevent yellowing ect and really gives a nice permanent wet look to the car. I went to the company that is going to do this to check out their operation and I was highly impressed so I am looking forward to their work.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Jimmy, how did you find an installer? In CA they show only one installer which is pretty far from where I live.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

For the Cquartz I think I went to their web site and found out who in IL does it. I think only (2) in the whole State was authorized and one is only 25 miles away May be look for an Opti-Coat detailer because they would probably also do Cquartz
Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Thanks Jimmy.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Color is Off