991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Color is Off

Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

When I did see my car on Friday I did notice that the film behind the fenders was already slightly off color. The guy was there applying the clear bra and he took a look and said just beat it up a bit and replace down the road. He did say the factory ones', despite yellowing, are a little thicker and do a good job preventing chips from small stones
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Macca - I just called Mark to get a set sent to me for a future installation. Can you tell me why their replacement is superior to the OEM. Is it thicker ect.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Do yourself a favor and leave it alone! You will have a lot of sleepless nights if you have Porsche send car out to a body shop to have bumper redone.....they will most likely get it to match better at the angle and in the light you are seeing the biggest difference currently and it will be off at other viewing angles/light levels when they are done. It just won't be a perfect match to metal panels. Some leave the factory better than others but trust me you're just adding misery to your life trying to get a perfect match.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default You can start to appreciate the problem also with PTS...

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
There is a slight difference in color from my front bumper compared with my hood/fenders (hood & fenders are very white while the bumper is more yellow).
Originally Posted by cparkin
... and the bumpers are painted seperately from the rest of the car.
Originally Posted by 24Chromium
The comment from the dealer about the paint being different for the plastic bits and metal bits is spot on. They also don't paint the cars with all the parts on..
The bumpers are not only painted separately...they even perhaps by-passed Zuffenhausen's paint booth altogether and were painted by an outside vendor & delivered fully assembled for 'just-in-time' and 'just-in-sequence' at the final assembly line at Porsche!

As an aside, if you think 'White' is hard to match on the plastic bumper of a gt3, imagine PAG's Quality Control engineers or the bean counters in their Warranty Department enormous concern (technical & financial) for matching PTS colors on those bumpers and avoiding this type of warranty issues on those special custom-paint cars!!!! If you look it from their perspective, they would cancel PTS and CXX special options in a nano-second. That PTS is still alive at Porsche is a miracle...regardless the $5500 expense. The engineers and accountants would rather not take the risk of the warranty claims. And if you look at the expense of feasibility study for color, PTS paint ordering & handling process, the additional logistical issues involved in coordinating all the painted parts that goes into a vehicle (e.g. a gt3) and the accounting reserves in case of warranty claims, PAG might be able to make the case they break even, or lose money, on each PTS order they sell! What they gain by PTS is not profit...but the ability to satisfy a client with the ultimate personal customization of his/her vehicle, something which is not often offered by the competition. That is the key benefit of PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive'. Remember all of this when you hear folks complaining about the 'high cost' of PTS at Porsche...it's a bargain in my opinion.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Photo One: OP's gt3
Photo Two: Macca's gt3
Photo Three: PTS color code z10 'orange' 997 Turbo with NOT fully matching plastic vs metal paint coloring which I photographed in 2012 at the Historics. That is why some colors are not approved for PTS or are discontinued from production if something like this is discovered with time - to avoid warranty complaints & warranty claims down the line for the manufacturer!
Attached Images    
Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Eduardo, GOOD POST!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

It's just me but I'd choose my own bodyshop and make them (Porsche) pay for it. A good bodyshop can do as good or better than factory respray on a bumper and you can have them color sand it so the orange peel matches the fenders and hood better. I'm just saying.

Mark, if it bothers you enough to start a thread here it bothers you. If you wait 6 months and then ask the dealer to fix it your case will have less steam. You are:

A GT3 buyer
You had to wait for a stop sale.
Your car most likely say outside at the port. (I know it's not a Faberge egg but come on.
You had to wait for your new engine
You were or will be compensated but if you are not happy with your car the dealer will make it right. We can all see how much more yellow your bumper is from others. Not every car will be the same but the paint should match.

Having your bumper cover resprayed by a great body shop will not change the value of your car at all. As long as it's done right.

I'd make them fix it.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 AM
chizi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the storage last week
same yellowing is clearly visible.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Teamtrench
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had significant problems with my paint. So much so that I am returning the car. I had brown spots on most of the panels including several on the rear bumper. They were all under the clear coat. Porsche is taking back my car. Unacceptable on a brand new car.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

chizi -was your car stored outdoors or is that how you received it. I saw my car briefly on Friday at the Dealer and will pick up this Sat. My car had sat at the Port for 5 months here in the States so I will be doing a very long and hard inspection before taking possession.

Teamtrench - what had Porsche said??. If it was under the clear coat that sound like an issue from the factory but what do I know. Will they give you a 2015??
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
It's just me but I'd choose my own bodyshop and make them (Porsche) pay for it. A good bodyshop can do as good or better than factory respray on a bumper and you can have them color sand it so the orange peel matches the fenders and hood better. I'm just saying.

Mark, if it bothers you enough to start a thread here it bothers you. If you wait 6 months and then ask the dealer to fix it your case will have less steam. You are:

A GT3 buyer
You had to wait for a stop sale.
Your car most likely say outside at the port. (I know it's not a Faberge egg but come on.
You had to wait for your new engine
You were or will be compensated but if you are not happy with your car the dealer will make it right. We can all see how much more yellow your bumper is from others. Not every car will be the same but the paint should match.

Having your bumper cover resprayed by a great body shop will not change the value of your car at all. As long as it's done right.

I'd make them fix it.
+1. Porsche is going to be very sensitive to this type of thing right now. I would get it handled and be happy with the vehicle. As Marcus indicated, a factory respray on the bumper is a non issue value wise.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Nobody who waited thru this ordeal should be disappointed with the presentation of this car. PCNA told me on (2) occasions, when I complained about the cars sitting at the Port exposed, that they will do every thing to make sure this is a "new" car experience like it should be. They even told me that if the Dealer would not accommodate that they would step in.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Well said Jimmy.

Look over your car well. I've been reading all the GT3 threads and you guys need to be completely 100% happy with your cars or else. This stop sale is one for the history books. I consider the GT3 more of a brass ring car than a Turbo so the customer needs to be totally satisfied. Porshce knows this.

I wussed out and bought an S to drive while I wait to find one.

White cars show staining in the paint more easily. Black cars make other paint flaws more visible. The colors in between hide everything better.

I love my black cars for about an hour after it's washed/detailed. My GT3 will be white and I won't put up with any yellow in the paint. If I wanted yellow it would look like this.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nobody who waited thru this ordeal should be disappointed with the presentation of this car. PCNA told me on (2) occasions, when I complained about the cars sitting at the Port exposed, that they will do every thing to make sure this is a "new" car experience like it should be. They even told me that if the Dealer would not accommodate that they would step in.
Jimmy is right. They will take care of it. Just file a claim for the paint mismatch. I filed a claim for this as well as the Dog legs (stone guard) yellowing.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^I did notice the stone guard was off when I did see it. I ordered a new pair from the place Macca recommended so I should have it possibly by Friday. I will have them install it at their charge, next week, before I have the paint prepped and Cquartz applied which will is an added clear coat that should take care of all but need to make sure everything is perfect and no film yellowing before application - hence the replacement
Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Jimmy is right. They will take care of it. Just file a claim for the paint mismatch. I filed a claim for this as well as the Dog legs (stone guard) yellowing.
Kamal -- so you are asking for a new bumper or a respray?

Also, did you just ask dealer for the stone guards?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Bumper Color is Off