Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Color is Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, you have to see it in person. Mine has some yellow that I'm not seeing in yours. I'll let you know what Porsche says about it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just looked at mine and I can see the color grey blended in and it's definitely not the same color as rest of the car but I am not going to repaint and can live with that. I wish you never brought it up Now I will notice it every time LOL

Last edited by silverrules; 08-19-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by silverrules
I just looked at mine and I can see the color grey bended in and it's definitely not the same color as rest of the car but I am not going to repaint and can live with that. I wish you never brought it up Now I will notice it every time LOL
Haha, very, very sorry.....
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
There is a slight difference in color from my front bumper compared with my hood/fenders (hood & fenders are very white while the bumper is more yellow). Yes, I’m a bit **** about this stuff but there is no doubt there is a difference in color if you look closely. Sure, the bumper is plastic and the rest is metal but still, from the factory it should be very close to perfect, no? I took the car to my dealer and they said there is a flex agent in the paint on the bumper which makes it slightly different but they acknowledged the difference is more than typical (we compared my car with 2 other white P-cars on their lot) so they are escalating it and apparently a rep from Porsche will inspect the car. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue (or have dealt with this on a new car in the past)?
Originally Posted by silverrules
Could it be from sitting at the port? I will check mine and report back. This is interesting.
Originally Posted by Macca
Meteor at the very least can you post a picture to show us what you are concerned about?

I assume no clear film?

Having read your post and looked at scans of my car from new to now (9 months) I see in certain lights the bumper could be described as slightly greyer than the pain on the fenders/bonnet. IIts not a perfect match but I wasnt expecting it to be as few modern cars are with paint between PU and steel/alloy panels given the reflective qualities differ from the surfaces and some materials hold more "orange peel" effect form the paint etc.
Originally Posted by 0Q991
I noticed it in pictures of white owner's cars that were posted, but I figured it was an optical illusion. Will check mine out tonight.

Can anyone else confirm that this is a common thing among white Porsches?!?!
There is no question there is discrepancy. I thought it was my XPEL yellowing at a different rate but apparently that is not the case. Tim, I missed the post about you getting your car; 5 million congrats, buddy. So happy for you as it has been a very long wait.
I got my bumper replaced because of a track event and so far, it matches better than stock but I'm watching this as it may change with some time.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
There is no question there is discrepancy. I thought it was my XPEL yellowing at a different rate but apparently that is not the case. Tim, I missed the post about you getting your car; 5 million congrats, buddy. So happy for you as it has been a very long wait. I got my bumper replaced because of a track event and so far, it matches better than stock but I'm watching this as it may change with some time.
Thanks, Sam!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal. Urethane to alum panels will always be a bit off. My new GT3 is the same. It's less noticeable in brighter light. I had my car clear bra'd today. I took the factory rear pieces that yellow off and redid that entire part of the fender with more coverage along with the entire front end, a-pillars, front part of the roof, lower rockers, rear fenders, mirrors, etc. Tinted the windows 20% all the way around too.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The comment from the dealer about the paint being different for the plastic bits and metal bits is spot on. They also don't paint the cars with all the parts on, which amplifies the problem. Besides color, the other thing you'll likely notice the difference in orange peel. My RS had a lot of orange peel on the front bumper fascia, but not the hood or fenders.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looking through the 75+ pictures I’ve taken of my car only a handful show the issue. Maybe I’m being too ****. I’ll have Porsche look at it and go from there.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Meteor,

Everything that the boys are saying about how the car is painted etc. is correct.

I can see you didn't go out of your way to make the bumper cover appear more yellow in the picture you posted. While white cars show this "difference" more often than other colors I can tell you yours is a bit over the top Not acceptable. Make them respray the front bumper. If the dealership doesn't have a favorite body shop that they use make sure you go out of your way to find a

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...che/index.html

That way you know it will be done correctly. They have certain standards they have to uphold and some but not all of their employees are required to attend a Porsche specific school. They require those guys to be able to almost completely disassemble an entire car minus the engine.

If you car sat at the port in the direct sun for 5 months that car accelerate the "yellowing" of the bumper cover.

Just park your car next to a couple of other white cars like you mentioned with that Cayenne to make your point. In my opinion the difference in color in the picture you posted is unacceptable. My uncle owned a body shop for many, many years so unfortunately for me I can spot a respray or repair on a car from a mile away. Just a trained eye per se.

Make them respray it.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark. Unless it's really bad, I would leave it as is. There are some good body shops around Toronto but you know how challenging it is to get them to do a factory durable finish. Repainted noses always chip easier and they are unlikely to get the colour spot on at the first try. I noticed the same thing on Paul's car when it was newer so it's probably just a white car thing.

On the other hand, if the car was damaged at port and they've painted it poorly, then it's worth a respray to get it right since the port paint job won't be as durable as factory anyhow.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 AM
ARSGT3
Instructor

Sorry to hear that, I defiantly notice the difference in color in your picture. Maybe you could post a pic in natural light to get a better view? Hope you get this sorted out with your dealer.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM
chizi
Intermediate

when i was at the dealer last week buying my GT3, someone was taking delivery and im soo **** about little things i noticed it straight away but i presumed he had put a clear layer but now that its said, im gonna notice it on my car too. that sucks. who gives a **** im not the one looking at it from the outside im inside it and its a GT3. so watever
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Gentlemen, if you look hard and long enough you'll find issues with paint and many other things on any new car. I learned long ago getting **** about a car only lessen the enjoyment of it. Unless the discrepancy is so obvious just enjoy your wonderful car.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 991 White C2S. The bumpers' color were already off when I picked it up new that I even asked the sales guy if it's been to an accident and repaired.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^^ I agree with Nick. If you look for problems you will find them and some can be real and other's your mind can play tricks on you.

997TTMeteor- I am very **** also. If it is really that obvious and you are not satisfied I am sure you can get them to order a new bumper. So, I think you will be fine and they will make things right. Hopefully you have a good relation with your Supplier and they can vouch and help support your case.

As much as I wish you never brought this to my attention I will certainly inspect my car on Sat before taking delivery. If it looks good I am having the Paint prepped in 2 weeks and I am having Cquartz(no affiliation) applied over the whole car including the Xpel. This is not a sealant but a clear coating that protects the paint and the Xpel from yellowing

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Color is Off