No more PTS this year?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
djcxxx and luvair,
I have a Nov build and was specifically told the allocation date cannot be moved. I'd delay the build if I could for PTS. How did you get this done? Who does the dealer need to speak to? I'm ordering from a small dealer and I don't think they have much experience with PTS.
For me, I needed to switch dealers who were familiar with PTS. To them, they had no problem to delay the deal until 2015, and not closing it by YE 2014.

I would push your dealers GM to work with Porsche exclusive and determine what can be done. My guess, there is also an allocation for PTS that clearly needs to be approved by Germany.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience with this for the 991 GT3 as previously stated is you may risk your production slot by moving to a future PTS proposed date if the order system will not accept a firm production slot for that date (i.e. allocation is available).

It sounds like this is possible moving from Nov to Feb for what is posted above. However should the 991 GT3 cease production in Q1 2015 and your build slot was not confirmed and V number granted you could run the risk of loosing the order. In truth I think its fine with the dates that have been discussed but any later than that would be risky?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

What luvair said I would also second. I work with a large dealer and have been buying Porsches from them since the late 90s. The original build for my '15 GT3 was November '14. The PTS slots for November (which likely includes earlier orders that got pushed back due to the engine issues) were filled, so my November build was moved to Feb '15 which was the next available PTS slot for my GT3. Whether there are still any available slots at this point I do not know as they do have a limited number based on the reason my car was moved. Porsche scheduling can make these changes to any allocation. The commission # stays the same, but the build scheduling changes. Dealers have different levels of clout w/ the manufacturer based on volume of sales, that's true for any marque, not just Porsche. Let me also say this is my second PTS 991 GT3 go-around. I placed an order in 3/13 for PTS Tangerine/Blutorange which was turned down. I punted that GT3 allocation in 1/14 (middle of engine issues, unknown delivery date) and leased a 14 C4S. Now I'm going around again w/ a different (already approved) PTS color. Hopefully it will work out this time around. The issue of production ending is another factor which my dealer has corroborated FWIW.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'll see what can be done, but if I can't get a guarantee of a build date, I'll stick to a standard color rather than risk it.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I placed an order in 3/13 for PTS Tangerine/Blutorange which was turned down.
What an intriguing post!! Now we all know (with near certainty) the reason you were turned down was the RS will probably be introduced in Blutorange among others. I guess Porsche already had earmarked that colour as early as 3/13 for the car, and did not want to permit other cars (especially the GT3) to have the same colour so as to differentiate the RS! So the colours must have been picked at least 2 years in advance (rumours are production may start around 3/15). Interesting insight into their planning for the RS! Thanks for posting that.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

It's an interesting story. On my behalf, Eduardo (Z356) discussed the paint color w/ Exclusive Germany in May/June 13. The paint code is 018 which was in the Porsche files. Melissa Witek requested a feasability check in June 2013 for Tangerine/Blutorange 018. Initially she reported back favorably, but the color was turned down officially in 1/14. I was told that it did not pass a fade test, but it did occur to me that perhaps Porsche was reserving the color for a special edition of some sort.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:28 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's an interesting story. On my behalf, Eduardo (Z356) discussed the paint color w/ Exclusive Germany in May/June 13. The paint code is 018 which was in the Porsche files. Melissa Witek requested a feasability check in June 2013 for Tangerine/Blutorange 018. Initially she reported back favorably, but the color was turned down officially in 1/14. I was told that it did not pass a fade test, but it did occur to me that perhaps Porsche was reserving the color for a special edition of some sort.
Guess they couldn't well give the real reason. But weird they'd go so far as to say it was specifically a fade test issue if it wasn't. Unless the RS paint is slightly modified to address this problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

What luvair said I would also second. I work with a large dealer and have been buying Porsches from them since the late 90s. The original build for my '15 GT3 was November '14. The PTS slots for November (which likely includes earlier orders that got pushed back due to the engine issues) were filled, so my November build was moved to Feb '15 which was the next available PTS slot for my GT3. Whether there are still any available slots at this point I do not know as they do have a limited number based on the reason my car was moved. Porsche scheduling can make these changes to any allocation. The commission # stays the same, but the build scheduling changes. Dealers have different levels of clout w/ the manufacturer based on volume of sales, that's true for any marque, not just Porsche. Let me also say this is my second PTS 991 GT3 go-around. I placed an order in 3/13 for PTS Tangerine/Blutorange which was turned down. I punted that GT3 allocation in 1/14 (middle of engine issues, unknown delivery date) and leased a 14 C4S. Now I'm going around again w/ a different (already approved) PTS color. Hopefully it will work out this time around. The issue of production ending is another factor which my dealer has corroborated FWIW.
Well I talked with Melissa today and my PTS order is a no go, she definitely recommended keeping my current slot rather than risking losing out with an unconfirmed feb build. Oh well, congrats to those who were lucky to get one. I missed out by 10 days!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally think you made the right decision given the circumstances....
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Well I talked with Melissa today and my PTS order is a no go, she definitely recommended keeping my current slot rather than risking losing out with an unconfirmed feb build. Oh well, congrats to those who were lucky to get one. I missed out by 10 days!
I'm sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to seeing a GT3 in Gulf Orange, but you absolutely made the right decision in not giving up your build slot. So what will be your color choice?

BTW, I just realized that back in the Monterey thread, you had posted that we met at Werks. I missed that the first time around and apologize for not responding sooner. It was a pleasure to meet you in person as well and I really enjoyed our conversation!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

^Likewise Mike! Great car, great owner! Funny how that works!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Well dealer called and said that GT3 production is ending and Porsche moved my build back to November and cancelled my Feb PTS. I'll pick one of the standard colors because I don't want to lose the car. I have a little different thought on production cancellation. It occurs to me that the car costs Porsche more per unit than expected, particularly with whatever engine upgrades were required after the stop sale. When we see the 991.2 GT3 it may be a significantly more expensive car than the current $130K base. I'm leaning toward yellow w/ black wheels and headlights which I have on my C4S.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM
10RMV
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the UK and have exactly the same story. Wanted PTS for a November build which was briefly OK but now I'm being told no PTS and no chance of a slot in early 2015 if I drop this one. Not a big fan of any of the standard colours really. Might just go for guards red.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

$5500 for 2 gallons of pre approved paint.. you think they could make it a little easier to get it done.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rijowysock
$5500 for 2 gallons of pre approved paint.. you think they could make it a little easier to get it done.
You can say that again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No more PTS this year?