Sponsored by:

Agate Grey 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
....Given that, I really do love the look of white, and GT Silver seems like a great compromise in getting that light look. However, I'd like to get your read if you saw them together in person. GT Silver almost looks too 'typical Porsche' to me. (First time, to-be Porsche owner)
Originally Posted by RossL
I've seen the colors in person and went with Agate for the same reason as Jon70. I simply can't justify spending $3100 for silver. The color is great but there is nothing unique or special about it to me. It's....silver and the premium makes no sense. Rhodium is also a great color if you want a blue hue to the silver.
.....but, but,....... bah! Blasphemy!

Friends, at the end of the day the color that floats your boat is just right for you!

but GT Silver really is the best!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
Jon, did you see them both in person?

Ever since high school when I had a string of bad luck [driving decisions] with two white cars, I've had a black or a dark grey car ever since. I'm usually not superstitious, but with my car, for some reason, it's phobia.

Given that, I really do love the look of white, and GT Silver seems like a great compromise in getting that light look. However, I'd like to get your read if you saw them together in person. GT Silver almost looks too 'typical Porsche' to me. (First time, to-be Porsche owner)
I've seen gt silver on a turbo s and agate on basically everything else. Don't get me wrong, if they were the same price I'd get gt silver. Porsche could have reversed the pricing of these two colors and I would not have found it out of the ordinary. For a premium color, I expect something not easy found elsewhere such as green, orange, various blues, etc. I am probably the only one on this forum who has not even seen a 991 gt3 in person yet. if I don't see one in 3 months mine will be the first.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vtxdrew
What a photo! Mine will look nearly identical except for black headlights and black headlight washers.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:02 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
.....but, but,....... bah! Blasphemy!

Friends, at the end of the day the color that floats your boat is just right for you!

but GT Silver really is the best!
i think the difference between the gt silver and other silvers is it has a bit more depth to it. and is a bit darker obviously. i was together with my friends Mercedes G-wag0n and another friends gtr, both silver, and both were a bit lighter than my gt3. side by side with other silvers the gt silver does look slightly more unique (although that just could be the result of putting one of the ugliest cars ever made, the gtr, next to a gt3??)

but it doesnt look better by a huge margin. and im not sure its worth the $3500 they charged me for it.

that being said, if there was no gt silver i definitley wouldnt have gotten rhodium silver. just to sheet metal-ish for me.

if there was one color i would switch to if i could do it over again, it would be jet black.

which was ironically my first color choice...

gt silver looks great, especially at night, but today while at the gas station filling up, i was thinking, - good lord this would have looked soooo sick in black!!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

^ GT Silver absolutely rocks and to my chosen color.
I agree about Rhodium it looks like they skimped on a few coats of paint. If no other silver existed, I would've gone for red or white.
Imo, rhodium is one of the weakest of the silver colors Porsche has offered. Sorry rhodium fans.

My fav Silvers have been Seal Gray, Platinum, GT Silver.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
^ GT Silver absolutely rocks and to my chosen color.
I agree about Rhodium it looks like they skimped on a few coats of paint. If no other silver existed, I would've gone for red or white.
Imo, rhodium is one of the weakest of the silver colors Porsche has offered. Sorry rhodium fans.

My fav Silvers have been Seal Gray, Platinum, GT Silver.
If you owned seal grey for 11 years like I have, GT Silver and perhaps agate is too close to the same old. Rhodium is a great alternative....for me that is....
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mainly
i think the difference between the gt silver and other silvers is it has a bit more depth to it. and is a bit darker obviously. i was together with my friends Mercedes G-wag0n and another friends gtr, both silver, and both were a bit lighter than my gt3. side by side with other silvers the gt silver does look slightly more unique (although that just could be the result of putting one of the ugliest cars ever made, the gtr, next to a gt3??)

but it doesnt look better by a huge margin. and im not sure its worth the $3500 they charged me for it.

that being said, if there was no gt silver i definitley wouldnt have gotten rhodium silver. just to sheet metal-ish for me.

if there was one color i would switch to if i could do it over again, it would be jet black.

which was ironically my first color choice...

gt silver looks great, especially at night, but today while at the gas station filling up, i was thinking, - good lord this would have looked soooo sick in black!!
More order was originally black but I switched to Agate...ugh oh
Old 10-06-2014, 05:13 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by RossL
More order was originally black but I switched to Agate...ugh oh
i know. i was black, then agate,(not for very long) then eventually settled on gt silver.

agate to me, is just trying to be what black is... stealthy. when i saw how dark it was i immediately switched to gt silver.

i wanted to be able to read the "PORSCHE GT3" lettering on the back. kind of silly i know, but that was my reasoning. i think it will be a bit tough to pick it out with agate, and impossible with black obviously, since its black type on black paint...

Quick Reply: Agate Grey 991 GT3