Sponsored by:

My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sam, that's it! I was in firm suspension. I'll be damned. Never thought of that.
Good review Nick. Always good to hear another impression.

A few things.

IMO dont use sport suspension on the road. Im not the only one to say this as I recall Chris Harris or Steve Sutcliff mentioning it but the standard setting is perfect for the road. The sport setting is firm and will cause the front end to skip around a bit and feel light on broken surfaces. Sport is fine for the track (and even then may not be needed on shorter tracks with big elevation changes).

The noise you hear from the brakes is brake dust building up between the pad and the disc. It will quietent down a bit after a few big stops but actually it will start to make this sound after a few days of driving till you wash the wheels/brakes. One of the downsides of the steelies Im afraid but the factory pad compound seems adequate for the track so thats the trade off (Im sure RS29 pads will stop even harder but trade off may be more noise).

3 days = 75 miles? Dude you need to stop cruising Rennlist and get out and drive some more! :-)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 AM
chizi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Write Up. Now im super excited to pick my DD GT3 next week. I got the steel brakes to. dont think PCCB is necessary for DD.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write up, couldn't agree more and glad I'm not crazy!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
3 days = 75 miles? Dude you need to stop cruising Rennlist and get out and drive some more! :-)

Is the 75 miles from the dealer to your house Nick
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Guy's, thanks for the kind words.

@Alain, I see your point regarding what I perceive as a somewhat heavy feel of the steering. The input required is not significant but it does require more effort than say a Ferrari but certainly less than a 997.2 TT.

@Macca(Mark) I agree regarding the suspension setting and lightness of the front end. When Sam mentioned it to me, immediately his answer registered with me. Your advice not to use the sport or stiffer setting while on regular road especially at speed is wise.

One thing I failed to mention in my write up is at least for me the car is more enjoyable for street driving using manual/the paddles to shift. The auto setting would be great for the track but for pure enjoyment on public roads the manual setting is the way to go.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Nick,

Thanks for the great review!
Have you ever driven a 997.2 GT3 or GT3RS? I wonder how the rear wing compares? From the few short seconds I was able to sit in a 991 GT3, the rear wing was certainly less obtrusive than the 3RS wing and I think it was also slightly less obtrusive than the GT3 wing. The 997.1 GT3 wing probably interferes the least with rear vision.

I guess I'll know for sure in December.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Nick,

Thanks for the great review!
Have you ever driven a 997.2 GT3 or GT3RS? I wonder how the rear wing compares? From the few short seconds I was able to sit in a 991 GT3, the rear wing was certainly less obtrusive than the 3RS wing and I think it was also slightly less obtrusive than the GT3 wing. The 997.1 GT3 wing probably interferes the least with rear vision.

I guess I'll know for sure in December.
Ray, I have not driven the 997GT3. Those that have probably would not see it as a problem. Since my experience is with cars without wings my sensitivity to the impairment of the view may be more than those who are accustomed to it.

That said, the wing does block a clear view of traffic behind you. I am much more reliant on the side mirrors than in any other car I have driven.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

The wing is very similar to the 997.2 GT3 wing I think, similar obtrusive view but I have to admit it's been about 6 months. I love the view, every time I check my rear view mirror......oh yeah, Racecar!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the great write up Nick! Makes my remaining 74 days until delivery only harder...haha
Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
One thing I failed to mention in my write up is at least for me the car is more enjoyable for street driving using manual/the paddles to shift. The auto setting would be great for the track but for pure enjoyment on public roads the manual setting is the way to go.
EXACTLY! I never drive it in auto on the roads, always manual, a ton of fun. I also never drive it in manual on the track, as I am obsessed with lap times and need to pour 100% of my attention to other things.
This is in stark contrast to me driving the Panamera GTS, where I rarely drive it in manual mode on the road. Auto, in Sport/Sport Plus, and my coffee/Red Bull. Perhaps because it takes me to work and back, where I am looking for a relaxed drive with the Burmester doing its thing.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Congrats, Nick!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sucks 9k for ceramics just to go to steelies...

i hated my ceramics on TT... steel for life now.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
EXACTLY! I never drive it in auto on the roads, always manual, a ton of fun. I also never drive it in manual on the track, as I am obsessed with lap times and need to pour 100% of my attention to other things.
This is in stark contrast to me driving the Panamera GTS, where I rarely drive it in manual mode on the road. Auto, in Sport/Sport Plus, and my coffee/Red Bull. Perhaps because it takes me to work and back, where I am looking for a relaxed drive with the Burmester doing its thing.
I am the same way. Manuel mode all the time. It feels good and very intuitive. Keep the gears down the engine revving high.

Quick Reply: My thoughts