Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 in the flesh....Pictures from Monterey Car Week...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
That 917 engine looks wicked, never knew it was so compact. For something spitting out that much power I would have thought it to be larger. Question, were those engines still air-cooled?
AFAIK, yes, the old 917s were air-cooled. That's why there is the large squirrel fan on top of the motor, between the intake trumpets. Same as the old 911s, except the street cars have them facing the rear of the car.

It's staggering how much plastic is used for that engine. Imagine being one of the first to drive that thing. Looking at how entire car is so fragile. I probably would have passed!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 917 engine looks wicked, never knew it was so compact. For something spitting out that much power I would have thought it to be larger. Question, were those engines still air-cooled?

Since no one answered my question... I would bet real money that the McLaren F1 could bring in somewhere over $5MM-$7MM.
917K aircooled 5L flat 12...producing 630 bHp...and 589 Nm torque.

cf: http://www.cknet.org.uk/blog/index.php/specification/

Price for 1000 mile F1 : 11.8 Mln USD....yup...

Chris Harris on the F150....aka the LaFerrari..(full review paywall...):

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 08-18-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Since no one answered my question... I would bet real money that the McLaren F1 could bring in somewhere over $5MM-$7MM.

Even though no one else does, I dig that green P1. But I don't know what it is but in general I don't like the designs of the cars McLaren is putting out though their performance is undeniable.

But out of all of the big three super-dupers cars, besides the Pagani, the 918, P1 and the LaFerrari most will agree that the918 is the most tame and civil to drive. It's the one you can drive from LA to Tahoe, Incline Village of course. But when you have 900 BHP on tap you may not care about tame or civil. Who knows about the Ferrari.
I haven't seen the final price on the white McLaren F1 that Gooding and Co. was auctioning off, but the estimate was around 12 mil (maybe because it's the only white one made). I am not sure which auction house was selling that red one either.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
I haven't seen the final price on the white McLaren F1 that Gooding and Co. was auctioning off, but the estimate was around 12 mil (maybe because it's the only white one made). I am not sure which auction house was selling that red one either.
Either way, if you had the means and the money back in the 90's the buy one, it would for sure have been a very good investment.

I don't if too many of y'all watch Wayne Carini's show Chasing Classic Cars but he has a partner or sorts that he goes in on cars with, splits the bill. One of the episodes they were both on the west coast, can't remember if it was around Pebble Beach Time or not (!), but Wayne and his friend drove up in a Black, I think, McLaren F1. I wouldn't be too surprised if they start fetching GTO money within the next 10-15 years since the market on the GTO's are starting to fade away. Generally what the bidder's are looking for are no wrecks and as little ownership as possible. That is why that 67 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S 'N.A.R.T. Spider' sold for $27.5 MM last year. The car was in the same family since it was new and Enzo Ferrari himself stopped the sale of that car to make sure his friend in America could have it to race it. That is why it is a N.A.R.T. buy I don't know if it was ever raced. Just well taken care of. Also I believe the car is total original, no respay and nothing new except for bits and bobs that would need replacement for i.e. tires, brake disc etc.

And now that the LaFerrari is being allowed to have test drives we need a drag with the P1, 918 and the LaFerrari just for ****'s and giggle's. Both the P1 and Ferrari are for Track Cars - Porsche aimed at the long haul GT segment with the 918 even though it will take off faster from a standstill because of it's four wheel drive.

But I do believe that the 250 GTO Berlinetta that sold this year at Quail Lodge for $38.1 was over-priced. But it did have a racing history and the same owner for the past 47 years but I do believe it was involved in an odd wreck here or there, but I could be totally wrong on that one. But who am I to say what is worth what eh? I'm still looking for a decent AC Bristol that needs just a little bit of attention. Seems like all the one's I do find are again over-priced and fully restored. I'm not interested in a CSX Chassis Shelby.

Meh - all great cars, just choose your spoon and start eating what you will. Even though the Ferrari was designed by Ferrari, the Styling that is... it looks to me more like something Pagani would cook up. It's just in the rear there is no Four Exhaust Outlet's surrounded by a larger round Pipe that is Pagani's trademark.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Finally adding some pics from Saturday at the Porsche Zentrum and downtown at the auctions...

Quick Reply: 918 in the flesh....Pictures from Monterey Car Week...