Sponsored by:

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Opinions needed

Hello everybody, soon to be a first time Porsche owner with a GT3 scheduled for delivery on Nov. 28th. As I'm sure everybody who has one or is planning on getting one, I'm going through the agony of picking options. My build locks on Sep. 5th.

1. Color - Agate vs. GT silver (vs. maybe white or carrera white). I love agate but I'm concerned about the monochromatic look with the platinum wheels (I don't want the silver or black wheels). I know color subjective and whatever I think looks good is most important but these cars are so rare, it's hard to form opinions without seeing them in the flesh (on a GT3).

2. Stitching - Red vs. white. It seems like most like the red stitching, but I've noticed every car manufacturer putting red stitching in their cars recently (e.g. even the Dodge Dart has red!). I'm also going with red seat belts so the red stitching might flow better with that.

3. Side skits painted - Haven't seen much posted about this.

4. Interior trim - Anthracite vs. CF. I'm going with CF illuminated door sills so I'm not sure if I need to go CF everywhere else to match.

5. Storage compartment lid - plain or something in alcantara. How does the crest or the logo look in person?

6. Bluetooth - is it standard in 2015 models?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm going to stay away from your subjective questions; what I like is irrelevant to what you may like.

On your other questions:

5. The storage compartment lid is already in alcantera. No crest option is available

6. Bluetooth with mobile phone prep is standard.

Spend some quality time with the configurator and the standard features list. It's a big part of the fun and a great time waster!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-14-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with Mike's comments.

Just one bit that may be a correction. I think the painted skirt is now an option on the GT3. IMO it's not worth getting it as it breaks the continuity of the sides matching the black front and back lips. I prefer it as it is.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Haku
I agree with Mike's comments.

Just one bit that may be a correction. I think the painted skirt is now an option on the GT3. IMO it's not worth getting it as it breaks the continuity of the sides matching the black front and back lips. I prefer it as it is.
You're right about the side skirts, Haku. Thanks for the correction.

PS I corrected my original post....
Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm going to stay away from your subjective questions; what I like is irrelevant to what you may like.

On your other questions:

3. Painted side skirts are not a normal option on the GT3. Possibly something could be done through Porsche Exclusive.

5. The storage compartment lid is already in alcantera. No crest option is available (however see 3 above)

6. Bluetooth with mobile phone prep is standard.

Spend some quality time with the configurator and the standard features list. It's a big part of the fun and a great time waster!
Mike,

On the 2015 the painted side skirts and crests on the storage compartment door are both available as standard options.

As for the OP's questions...

1. Color - for my wife and I this was the most difficult and agonizing decision. Pictures on the Internet of a single color are useless as monitors and cameras do not color corrected. Pictures comparing colors are only moderately useful. Even if you cannot see your preferred colors on a GT3, I highly recommend finding a dealer who has something in each of your colors to view. We were pretty well set on GT Silver Metallic until we saw it next to Racing Yellow - the Yellow was so vibrant completely drawing our attention away from the other cars.

GT Silver is a somber, serious, classic silver / grey without a blue or purple tint.

White looks good, most feel it has a homage to the cup cars. Provides good contrast against all wheel colors. One small issue with white is it tends to completely blend in with all the other white GT cars at any gathering.

Agate has a hint of brown to the grey, a very conservative color.

Carrera White Metallic is indistinguishable from white until you are right on top of it. The metallic may hide swirls over time.

2. Stitching - really depends on the overall color palette of your build. The platinum stitch is more prominent than the red.

3. Painted side skirts - play with the configurator. I like the way the non painted goes with the non painted splitter and lower portion of the rear bumper. This area is also prime for debris impact from the front tires.

Ryan
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You're right about the side skirts, Haku. Thanks for the correction. PS I corrected my original post....
Might need to correct Point 5 too...

The storage compartment is available in Alcantara with Porsche logo OR with Porsche crest. Both are $330 options now.

Yes, Mike--I'm so antsy waiting for my car that I'm spending time on the configurator for a model that I "should" have any day now...ugh.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

If you are into coloring....

I blacked out mine, had all the clown colored crap in it, red gauges, white center console, red straps, hurt my eyes...

The whorehouse red 4.0 it was beyond saving...

Name:  IMG_2304 small.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2305 small.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  23.8 KB
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color is by far the most difficult decision. Wish we could organize a GT3 owner gathering in the Bay Area (with varying colors) for prospective buyers. I would pay for that!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

They used to all have to be white....
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They don't still? I must have missed the memo......
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Mike,

On the 2015 the painted side skirts and crests on the storage compartment door are both available as standard options.

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Might need to correct Point 5 too...

The storage compartment is available in Alcantara with Porsche logo OR with Porsche crest. Both are $330 options now.
Damn. Clearly I should be spending more time on the configurator and less driving the car! I'm still stuck in 2014. Sorry for the misinformation.

I got the Bluetooth part right though, didn't I?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And Model T's only came in black....yup, those were the days....;-)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you asked for opinions. You'll hate mine.

Any stitching that isn't the color of the leather looks like crap. The more the contrast. The more the crap.

Especially, on a track car.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

All subjective, but here's my opinion.

1. I had 3 GT Silver 911's. I feel it's the best silver from any company. It has a ton of depth and looks dark in dim lighting and bright on a sunny day. That would be my metallic choice but I will say that the GT3 looks menacing in Agate. Especially with PCCB's. I chose plain white for my GT3 because I think the GT3 looks best in non metallic colors. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy with Agate or Silver. It's just an amazing looking car and every color works. Except maybe that gold metallic I saw in another post.

2. I think with your color options, silver stitching works best.

3. I think the non painted GT3 skirts match the front lip and rear better. I wouldn't paint them.

4. CF accents look great inside, but I'd save my money on the illuminated sills. I did illuminated in my 997.2 Turbo and only noticed them when I washed the car. My Audi S6 came standard with them and occasionally I'll realize they are there.

5. I like the crest. I always added that to my Turbo seats and felt it added a nice custom look.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Carbon fibre stick-on stuff on a car that's metal is just bling. Go with the anthracite look.

Red stitching is also OTT IMO. You'll end up spending loads on different options to start making everything match. Spend the money on something that affects the driving e.g. PCCBs.

If in doubt, white. Personally also like Rhodium Silver but wasn't sure so I went white! I wanted contrast between the car and wheels was the main reason and wasn't keen on the black wheels because of the gloss finish.

Definitely don't get skirts or front or back lip painted. If you do it mars the classic 911 lines and looks more like you have an after-market body kit on.

Sent from my mobile using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Opinions needed