Sponsored by:

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i was not aware that you can have colors beside white.
what's deviating stitching?

seriously, GT silver is timeless
stitching for GT silver, i do gray/silver or white.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bills742
Hello everybody, soon to be a first time Porsche owner with a GT3 scheduled for delivery on Nov. 28th. As I'm sure everybody who has one or is planning on getting one, I'm going through the agony of picking options. My build locks on Sep. 5th.

1. Color - Agate vs. GT silver (vs. maybe white or carrera white). I love agate but I'm concerned about the monochromatic look with the platinum wheels (I don't want the silver or black wheels). I know color subjective and whatever I think looks good is most important but these cars are so rare, it's hard to form opinions without seeing them in the flesh (on a GT3).

2. Stitching - Red vs. white. It seems like most like the red stitching, but I've noticed every car manufacturer putting red stitching in their cars recently (e.g. even the Dodge Dart has red!). I'm also going with red seat belts so the red stitching might flow better with that.

3. Side skits painted - Haven't seen much posted about this.

4. Interior trim - Anthracite vs. CF. I'm going with CF illuminated door sills so I'm not sure if I need to go CF everywhere else to match.

5. Storage compartment lid - plain or something in alcantara. How does the crest or the logo look in person?

6. Bluetooth - is it standard in 2015 models?

Thanks!
1. Agate
2. Red stitching
3. Its already painted??
4. CF
5. Full leather
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
3. Its already painted??
This is the skirt under the sills (rocker panels) and, as Haku mentioned, the option to paint it is new for the 2015 models. There doesn't seem to be an option to have the front and rear lips painted, although there's no way that I'd have the front painted anyway because it will just get trashed, but I also agree with Paul that it will mess with the lines.

I've heard that other colours are available, and they do all look pretty awesome on this GT3, but I'm pretty sure that 0Q was the only paint option available when I ordered
Seriously though, the demo car that toured the dealers in Australia was agate that that looked awesome; I did take some photos of it with my DSLR, which I would share, but I haven't been able to find them.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:09 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I've had a car with painted side skirts - would never do it again. They get small rock chips and road rash and end up looking horrible. There is a reason the standard one is black plastic.

I'd go with the anthracite trim. The interior is dark enough already without adding more dark with carbon fiber. (is that stuff still in style?) The anthracite trim is toned down a bit from the standard trim and looks more classy to me.

Color and stitching are subjective. From the photos I've seen, the red stitch looks better to me, but that's some expensive thread they use!!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to pipe in on color because I was struggling between the same selections (white, metallic white, gt silver and agate grey). Most of the pictures I have seen of agate grey on the web are not inspiring - they look flat. However, "Dude" posted a single picture that changed my mind (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...at-port-8.html). As you can see, agate grey shows of every line of the GT3. Its both elegant and aggressive looking, and I think it works well with red stitching. I chatted with Mike and he said he will post some pictures later today after he picks the car up. Be on the lookout. I think the black headlights, platinum wheels and tinted windows really pull it together. GT silver metallic is beautiful and classic. To me, it appears to have some brown in it, which gives it a depth that accentuates the lines of the GT3, but needs to be seen in person. It just doesn't photograph well. A local dealer has a GT silver turbo in the showroom and its beautiful. I would probably do grey seat belts and platinum stitching with this color. I don't need to say anything about white. I think its the standard for a GT3 which is why it always has to be considered. Tough decision. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pressure is on so I like to divert to a photo just found on the net. I'll have my car by 2-3pm so I'll make sure to post some pictures. Thanks Lodi for the thumbs up. Im not even sure what color this picture is anymore. Agate changes color depending on sunlight. To me it looks off but the point is its shows the curves well. I'll have better pictures later with dark and bright lighting to you can see the difference.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
The pressure is on so I like to divert to a photo just found on the net. I'll have my car by 2-3pm so I'll make sure to post some pictures. Thanks Lodi for the thumbs up. Im not even sure what color this picture is anymore. Agate changes color depending on sunlight. To me it looks off but the point is its shows the curves well. I'll have better pictures later with dark and bright lighting to you can see the difference.
Amazing. Looking forward to pics.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by bills742
1. Color - Agate vs. GT silver (vs. maybe white or carrera white). I love agate but I'm concerned about the monochromatic look with the platinum wheels (I don't want the silver or black wheels). I know color subjective and whatever I think looks good is most important but these cars are so rare, it's hard to form opinions without seeing them in the flesh (on a GT3).
Agate is metallic and thus polychromatic. It has some brown in it. From the photos I've seen, it looks brilliant on the GT3.

Originally Posted by mooty
i was not aware that you can have colors beside white.
Lol. From what I've seen, more than 80% of the 991 GT3s have been white so far. I like the car in white but never could have guessed it would be selected by such a high percentage of folks.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My build locks on September 2 so I am going through some of the same decisions.

The one question I have is do you need the front lift? I had a 997.2 GT3 and it scraped only in a couple of areas and not badly; it took a little care not to run up on concrete parking lot bumpers. The front end air dam/splitter on the 991 looks a little more expensive to replace than the old 997 version.

I jumped into a Turbo S when my original GT3 order got delayed and become frustrated with the no information from PAG and PCNA. It's Agate Grey with white/platinum threads and all carbon fiber options - I can assure you that it looks great. I will probably go for the GT Silver this time, but both are very good colors and both show the lines on these cars.

I am debating on whether to go with the silver wheels or the standard platinum, definitely won't do black. Am a little concerned that the silver wheels will clash with the GT Silver. Any thoughts?

I am also thinking of switching from the PCCB ceramics back to iron rotors. I hate to do it because I love the way the ceramics handle and the no brake dust is nice. But I will track the car 5 or 6 times each years and I don't want to have to replace ceramic rotors ($5,000 a corner according to my dealer). Anyone had an opinion on wear life with tracking 5 or 6 times per year - generally put on 120 miles each day at the track (700 track miles per year)?

All good decisions and no bad decisions.

Last edited by NMM991; 08-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If you are into coloring....
DIY color your car seat Stitching - YouTube

I blacked out mine, had all the clown colored crap in it, red gauges, white center console, red straps, hurt my eyes...

The whorehouse red 4.0 it was beyond saving...

Attachment 861356

Attachment 861357

The red strip at the top of the steering wheel. Is that an option reserved for the RS models? I noticed that little notch is present on all porsche steering wheels, 911, boxter, cayman, gt3, etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is some historical significant to the red strip on the top of the steering wheel? I like the look, but maybe it's only an RS or cup car option.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The red strip at the top of the steering wheel. Is that an option reserved for the RS models? I noticed that little notch is present on all porsche steering wheels, 911, boxter, cayman, gt3, etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is some historical significant to the red strip on the top of the steering wheel? I like the look, but maybe it's only an RS or cup car option.
The red stripe at the 12 o'clock position is available through Porsche exclusive. Option price is $3245 USD

Ryan
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reidry
The red stripe at the 12 o'clock position is available through Porsche exclusive. Option price is $3245 USD

Ryan
thanks for the info. Good to know, and wow that is expensive. Costs as much as my entire GT3 leather interior

Does anyone know if there is any specific history to the red stripe other than as a way for Porsche to gouge us for more money?

Last edited by Drifting; 08-15-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

The 997 (dot 1 and dot 2) GT3 RS steering wheel has a yellow stripe at the 12 o'clock position. A few other P-cars also had the stripe, and, as noted, can be in other colors.

The significance/purpose of the stripe is for racing. When you get full steering lock, it's easy to become confused as to what position is dead straight. The stripe makes it simple to sort out. In reality, it's more about putting on the air of being a race car. Just like the fabric pulls on the RS doors.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

thank you, 24chrom
Old 08-17-2014, 01:18 AM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Hey dude, did you pick up your car, anxiously awaiting the pics!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed