Sponsored by:

anyone experience front end lightness

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Default anyone experience front end lightness

when at speed say around 90mph when under acceleration? I know Porsche's have that tendency being a rear engine but shouldn't they be more grounded? Some have described it like a stone skipping along water.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not in a straight line. I took it to 155 mph with steady full throttle acceleration and the front felt planted all through.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Mine was in a straight line. However was on the incline portion of the road. I'll have to try to recreate the feel.

Otherwise the car is astonishing. It literally is a street legal race car. Its behavior from idling to speed in excess of 100mph remind me of a couple of track dedicated cars I have driven. I have taken corners at speeds must faster than any other car I have owed including several Ferrari's. To think I am still babying her and with break in it will get even better is something to look forward to.

Any yet it is so compliant for DD. An amazing feat.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I must have missed the arrival of your baby, Nick. Major congrats, and so glad to hear that your long wait appears to be worth it! I've been into triple digits with mine a few times and it seems extremely well planted; much better than my 997.2 S.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Since there are so many white GT3's no sense in posting pictures or driving impressions. But what I found curious is my engine was replaced on June 27th, 2014 at a port 15 miles from my dealership and yet I did not take delivery until today. Almost two month later. Does this make any sense????

Could it be that they held back my delivery until the Cat A owners got their cars?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Since there are so many white GT3's no sense in posting pictures or driving impressions. But what I found curious is my engine was replaced on June 27th, 2014 at a port 15 miles from my dealership and yet I did not take delivery until today. Almost two month later. Does this make any sense???? Could it be that they held back my delivery until the Cat A owners got their cars?
That's the only "logical" reason I can think of!

Nick--did you check to see if mesh covers came with your car? A Cat B owner (at factory) had his car delivered recently and the covers were already on there. Just curious.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on Nick, do a first impression post please. Cat B folks survived by reading Cat A post. Please return a favor for Cat C please.
Btw- major congrats.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nick. The ability to annihilate the track then take you home in comfort after a tiring day concentrating on driving on the track is quite astonishing indeed. I found myself running all my errands around the city on it it was so easy just to hop in and drive and comfortable too. I went driving as passenger last year with a friend in his 997.2 GT3RS on some of the back roads we drive on Sundays - that car was skipping all over the place and bottomed out a few times at speed on poor surfaces (he was always complaining how that car wasnt as fast as it should be on our back roads because it was too hard in the suspension) - drove the same roads in the 991 GT3 at 15% more speed and it just gripped like glue and never once touched the pavement.

Not sure about the lightness you are experiencing. I ran the car from 0 to 240kmph a few times in Europe and never noticed anything untoward in the handling department up front - maybe because I had a full tank and load of luggage up front but also maybe because Im used to my 993 and that does get a bit lighter up front when accelerating as its not as well planted.

Have your Geo checked. A tad more front negative camber really improves turn in even on the road. ...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

when at speed say around 90mph when under acceleration? I know Porsche's have that tendency being a rear engine but shouldn't they be more grounded? Some have described it like a stone skipping along water.
Wait, you didn't get the front-end recall done?!?!?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

On a straightline in my 6 gotten up to 180 mph- very planted. I back down after thinking what if my tire had a blowout. The only time I had front lightness was lifting on a kink : ). Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Nick, I thought you didn't order the front end lift......
Old 08-14-2014, 12:20 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Wait, you didn't get the front-end recall done?!?!?
What front end recall? Can you elaborate more on this please. Thanks... Mark
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick, congratulations on getting your car. I am sure you are very pleased with her. Enjoy it, and please keep us posted on this front end lightness you describe. Personally I have not experienced anything like this with my car. On the contrary I actually experienced the opposite on one occasion back in February where I was braking very hard from over 100 mph on a slightly rough surface and the back felt a little squirmy to me but have not had happen again ever since I got the car back. Could be the road surface in combination with the cup tires. Mark
Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I recall having that exact same feeling when I bought my first GT3. My circumstance was on a sweeping freeway connector ramp, that had some jarring expansion joints. It really unsettled the car and made the front end feel really floaty. Very unnerving! However... I will say that it's just a feeling that you quickly adapt to, as the car actually _is_ planted and doesn't move around or understeer.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
What front end recall? Can you elaborate more on this please. Thanks... Mark

LOL.

He's being facetious.

Quick Reply: anyone experience front end lightness