Sponsored by:

.Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default .Check Engine Light

Met another GT3 owner at the track. CEL warning during middle of session (1,700 miles on the clock). Apparently CEL was due to low oil.

Anyone else experience CEL warnings this early?

Last edited by CALSE; 08-11-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, normal : https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ter-850km.html
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
Met another GT3 owner at the track. CEL warning during middle of session (1,700 miles on the clock). Apparently CEL was due to low oil.

Anyone else experience CEL warnings this early?
Bad idea to track without topping up oil first, especially on a fresh engine. Get oil to one notch below max before tracking, and check after every couple of sessions just in case.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ + 100 this is what I do. My buddy didnt check and after full day at track next morning start up the CEL notification saying low oil dont drive came on...all in other thread...
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM
CALSE
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Bad idea to track without topping up oil first, especially on a fresh engine. Get oil to one notch below max before tracking, and check after every couple of sessions just in case.
Thanks. Finally read the supplemental manual and it recommends exactly ^.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Calse - Based on the title of this thread, I thought that you were happy about a check engine light. I find the :-) almost as annoying as the ///.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 PM
CALSE
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Calse - Based on the title of this thread, I thought that you were happy about a check engine light. I find the :-) almost as annoying as the ///.
Okay. I'm easy. I'll omit in future. Tuff crowd here!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ lol, you will soon learn. it's a tough no BS crowd unlike bimmerforum, M3 forum and all things BMW related.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All good CALSE. Great to have a new to GT3 owner whos dedicated to running the car on track and interested in your feedback and learnings. We are all pioneering it at the moment on the track with settings on this new chassis and tyre so trying to share together to save each other a bit of time and money. Its a very different car to get speed out of than the M3, different lines and turn in and braking points. Worth taking an instructor schooled in 911 performance driving if you get the chance - good investment. The GT3/911 can brake very late and hard (in a straight line). They handle a bit of trail braking and trail throttle well but getting on gas heavy only when wheel straightening out. They dont like to be upset mid corner. They are fast in the corners, handle fairly flat and have excellent traction out of bends compared to other (mid/front engined) marques. Not so big on torque but very fast revving engine in this generation with a very forgiving chassis compared to the earlier ones and the old timers so you cant get into as much trouble as easily but when you do over cook it youll know. Rewarding to drive fast and capable of taking repeated punishment (brakes, tyres etc). During first 2000 miles just keep an eye on oil but dont fill up oil too quickly or you may find you have overfilled etc Puff of smoke on start up is a regular thing and lots of noise from drive train (clutch/flywheel) at idle low speed crawl is normal...
Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 AM
CALSE
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
All good CALSE. Great to have a new to GT3 owner whos dedicated to running the car on track and interested in your feedback and learnings. We are all pioneering it at the moment on the track with settings on this new chassis and tyre so trying to share together to save each other a bit of time and money. Its a very different car to get speed out of than the M3, different lines and turn in and braking points. Worth taking an instructor schooled in 911 performance driving if you get the chance - good investment. The GT3/911 can brake very late and hard (in a straight line). They handle a bit of trail braking and trail throttle well but getting on gas heavy only when wheel straightening out. They dont like to be upset mid corner. They are fast in the corners, handle fairly flat and have excellent traction out of bends compared to other (mid/front engined) marques. Not so big on torque but very fast revving engine in this generation with a very forgiving chassis compared to the earlier ones and the old timers so you cant get into as much trouble as easily but when you do over cook it youll know. Rewarding to drive fast and capable of taking repeated punishment (brakes, tyres etc). During first 2000 miles just keep an eye on oil but dont fill up oil too quickly or you may find you have overfilled etc Puff of smoke on start up is a regular thing and lots of noise from drive train (clutch/flywheel) at idle low speed crawl is normal...
10-4 Macca! I can report that out of the box, this GT3 is more planted than all the thousands of $ I've put in the M3 suspension upgrades. GT3 is so track ready. I will report on my opinion on the motor versus the M3 V8 after break-in period.:-)
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I know the feeling having spent half the price of the GT3 on making my 993 go 3-4s quicker around a track - the GT3 is 3-4s faster again right out of the box!

Dont get too hung up on break in. Just make sure all fluids good and warm before first session on the track. Many here have run around 500 miles taking it easy then started to enjoy the car from there. Many of us not patient enough after already doing break in on first engine! I took mine to the track at 400 miles then just enjoyed it as did a good friend of mine with a GT3 on the same day and mileage and it juts ran like a dream to redline. First few lap[s short shifted in sport auto at 7500 but after that just let the sport auto do its thing for the rest of the first session as it tends to short shift and hold gears less aggressively than me in manual. As I say dont be worried about a few excursions each lap to 9000 rpm...emjoy
Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
Okay. I'm easy. I'll omit in future. Tuff crowd here!
FYI you can easily find your threads/posts by hovering over your username in the top right corner of the webpage and choosing "My Posts" from the menu

Quick Reply: .Check Engine Light