Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considered the mclaren 12c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considered the mclaren 12c?

I have seen a lot of opinion on the GT3 vs. the 458, but I don't think I have seen much discussion on GT3 vs. the 12C. Given that a used 12C is around the 160-170 mark, any thoughts?

F
Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

All three cars are great...I had a 458 and I loved it. I have driven the 12c a couple of times and was very impressed(its quite fast).

I think the new 991GT3 is spectacular and would have a tough time deciding between that and a 12c.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:13 PM
TrackFan
Banned

They don't make the 12c anymore.

650s now.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The used 12c is a valid competitor. I think it is possibly faster on most tracks but requires after market shims to the fronts as it needs a lot of negative camber on track. I didn't consider it because I was/am (rightfully or not) concerned about track cost and damage repair as I track often.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
All three cars are great...I had a 458 and I loved it. I have driven the 12c a couple of times and was very impressed(its quite fast).

I think the new 991GT3 is spectacular and would have a tough time deciding between that and a 12c.
Under going this right now!!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Certainly not 160-170 now 220-350k new now.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Certainly not 160-170 now 220-350k new now.
I am talking about a used 12c.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

No one really wants to own a used McClaren. Of any kind.

Driving one, however, is a different proposition.

I think many folks on the GT3 board here don't consider the MP4-12c a valid alternative because of the disdain for blowdryers.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

There is no doubt the 12C is a great car-tough to argue it is not. I came very close to buying one 4 months a go and walking from the GT3.

Reason - and no one be offended. I want a toy. I want a big wing that looks great on a car and 9000 rpms NA. The 12c just does not move me like the GT3 does. So you understand what I like - Lamborghinis move me; Carrera S and Cayman does not, GTR has some great numbers but an ugly *** boring looking car. Like the new Vette but the more I see it the less I like it. GT3RS - wing always looks like it does not belong and I do not track so too hard core for me
Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Used 12Cs are available in the 160-180 range. park Place Dallas has 3 of them. I looked into it like Jimmy-D when the stop sales seemed to be endless. I love the rattle and noise and the free revving engine of the GT3. Not the fastest or best looking so be it. I drove my car briefly today being on call I couldn't really explore it. But it made my day so much more enjoyable
Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

drove mp412c. nice car, really fast. but didn't have any urge to cut the chk like i did with all my RS's
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I have seen a lot of opinion on the GT3 vs. the 458, but I don't think I have seen much discussion on GT3 vs. the 12C. Given that a used 12C is around the 160-170 mark, any thoughts?

F
The ethos between McLaren and Porsche is much more similar than either are to Ferrari. Mike Flewitt (CEO of McLaren Automotive) has stated that the manufacturer that McLaren have most successfully taken customers from is indeed Porsche. In the same article, linked below, he has nothing but praise for the GT3. In fact, the GT3 is the benchmark for the car they will likely unveil at Geneva next year, P13 (that's the internal designation, not the name it will have when released).

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...=newsletter%22

For me, a used 12c is the car I most aspire to. The engineering bits seem to be very rock solid in 99% of the cars, but they are plagued with issues when it comes to the electronics / infotainment in the car. Nothing that would leave you stranded on the side of the road, but stuff that I know for me would drive me crazy for a car that started life between 250k and 300k (2012 coupe).

The post above about needing shims to track the car has been corrected. At least it has if I'm thinking of the same issue... With earlier cars there was a chance that if you were rocketing around a corner or hit a bump at high speed in the 'track' suspension setting the wheel might rub the inside of the well.

Another issue for me and the 12c is the lack of a local dealer. I'm 3.5 hours away from the nearest dealership. Add in typical traffic and it's more like 4-4.5 hours away. Though the car has a pretty long service interval (10k miles or once a year if I remember correctly), and McLaren will pick-up / drop-off the car by truck for free so long as the car is under warranty (pricey caveat there) I still don't like the idea that I'm that far away from service if I need something.

On the plus side of the dealership comments though, McLaren is set to open up about 20 more of them in leading up to the launch of P13. (see near the end: http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/254/).

In my view, if you are thinking McLaren vs. GT3, and you have time, wait until Geneva next year and see what P13 ends up being.

My plan is to see how the dealership expansion plays out, see if 12c prices continue to depreciate, as well as see what P13 is all about. In the meantime I've continued to look at other cars and have found that I absolutely love the 981 Cayman. The GT4 version is rumored to break cover at Geneva next year as well so I got on the list at the dealership that is all of ten minutes from my house... All in all next year should be pretty exciting for both Porsche and McLaren and I'm confident I'll be happy bombing around in whichever car I end up with!

-nh4.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

^Nice post. I am also interested in seeing what the P13 and the Cayman GT4 will all be about
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nh4
The ethos between McLaren and Porsche is much more similar than either are to Ferrari. Mike Flewitt (CEO of McLaren Automotive) has stated that the manufacturer that McLaren have most successfully taken customers from is indeed Porsche. In the same article, linked below, he has nothing but praise for the GT3. In fact, the GT3 is the benchmark for the car they will likely unveil at Geneva next year, P13 (that's the internal designation, not the name it will have when released).

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...=newsletter%22

For me, a used 12c is the car I most aspire to. The engineering bits seem to be very rock solid in 99% of the cars, but they are plagued with issues when it comes to the electronics / infotainment in the car. Nothing that would leave you stranded on the side of the road, but stuff that I know for me would drive me crazy for a car that started life between 250k and 300k (2012 coupe).

The post above about needing shims to track the car has been corrected. At least it has if I'm thinking of the same issue... With earlier cars there was a chance that if you were rocketing around a corner or hit a bump at high speed in the 'track' suspension setting the wheel might rub the inside of the well.

Another issue for me and the 12c is the lack of a local dealer. I'm 3.5 hours away from the nearest dealership. Add in typical traffic and it's more like 4-4.5 hours away. Though the car has a pretty long service interval (10k miles or once a year if I remember correctly), and McLaren will pick-up / drop-off the car by truck for free so long as the car is under warranty (pricey caveat there) I still don't like the idea that I'm that far away from service if I need something.

On the plus side of the dealership comments though, McLaren is set to open up about 20 more of them in leading up to the launch of P13. (see near the end: http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/254/).

In my view, if you are thinking McLaren vs. GT3, and you have time, wait until Geneva next year and see what P13 ends up being.

My plan is to see how the dealership expansion plays out, see if 12c prices continue to depreciate, as well as see what P13 is all about. In the meantime I've continued to look at other cars and have found that I absolutely love the 981 Cayman. The GT4 version is rumored to break cover at Geneva next year as well so I got on the list at the dealership that is all of ten minutes from my house... All in all next year should be pretty exciting for both Porsche and McLaren and I'm confident I'll be happy bombing around in whichever car I end up with!

-nh4.
Very nice and informative post! I agree, I think the P13 and the GT4 will be one hell of a car.

I think the worst thing about mclaren is repair cost and warranty. At its current state, there is no way to add extended warranty after the initial 3 yrs, unless you are buying a used mclaren from an authorized mclaren dealer @ 3.5k a year. (i.e. if you own a mclaren now and you wish to extent your warranty, you can't!)

Part of me thinks that the a used 12c is a bargain, but it just doesn't hit that emotion button like it did with the GT3. My GT3 is suppose to arrive in Dec, its such a long wait!!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
There is no doubt the 12C is a great car-tough to argue it is not. I came very close to buying one 4 months a go and walking from the GT3.

Reason - and no one be offended. I want a toy. I want a big wing that looks great on a car and 9000 rpms NA. The 12c just does not move me like the GT3 does. So you understand what I like - Lamborghinis move me; Carrera S and Cayman does not, GTR has some great numbers but an ugly *** boring looking car. Like the new Vette but the more I see it the less I like it. GT3RS - wing always looks like it does not belong and I do not track so too hard core for me
I completely agree and understand that feeling! I feel the same!

Quick Reply: Anyone considered the mclaren 12c?