Sponsored by:

Anyone considered the mclaren 12c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
Very nice and informative post! I agree, I think the P13 and the GT4 will be one hell of a car.

I think the worst thing about mclaren is repair cost and warranty. At its current state, there is no way to add extended warranty after the initial 3 yrs, unless you are buying a used mclaren from an authorized mclaren dealer @ 3.5k a year. (i.e. if you own a mclaren now and you wish to extent your warranty, you can't!)

Part of me thinks that the a used 12c is a bargain, but it just doesn't hit that emotion button like it did with the GT3. My GT3 is suppose to arrive in Dec, its such a long wait!!
Warranty extension is supposed to be in the works and is supposed to follow a model similar to what Porsche does... I don't really know any more than that other than the earlier cars in the UK will be coming off of the initial coverage within the next few months, so I assume we should know more fairly soon.

I do agree that the thought of out-of-warranty repair bills is a potentially terrifyingly expensive unknown. Standard maintenance on a 12c is expensive compared to Porsche, but cheaper than Ferrari. From what I've seen it looks like odd year McLaren services are cheaper than even year ones (a lot more 'stuff' is on a two year replacement cycle).

As far as the 12c being a deal at current prices, I would agree. That said though, with it being replaced so quickly with the 650S, and with P13 right around the corner being benchmarked against the 991 GT3, I'm not sure there is anything that will really support the idea of the 12c appreciating. A good answer to the warranty extension might help level prices for a bit, but it's anyone's guess if it will have the special sauce to be a collector's car a la Carerra GT or Ford GT.

That claim of the 12c lacking emotion is one of the more consistent digs it gets. When I drove one I was on back roads or stuck in traffic. Honestly, I still had a blast. A McLaren drives differently than a Porsche, and (I've been told) differently than a Ferrari and there's a learning curve that probably can't be mastered in the span of a test drive. Tell your dealer that this is your concern and that you want to engage in a bit of hooliganism with the car at someplace where life and property aren't at risk. Bring a GoPro and let the rest of us see if the car is lacking emotion after smoking the tires a few times.

-nh4.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my '13 12c after trading back my gt3. I put 2500 miles on my gt3 so I had a chance to drive it.

You will love your gt3 if you have one coming.

I spent 200k for my 2013 12c. If you were to get a 2012, they will be less. Mine is a 300k window.

Ive put 5000 miles on in the past month since buying. Its a great car that is fun at all speeds. The sport exhaust sounds awesome, unlike most tt cars. To call the 12c boring couldnt be further from the the truth.

I think its more exotic looking than the gt3, while not being over the top. A used one will not depreciate any faster than a gt3 at this stage.

My dealer is 30 miles away. If I didnt have one close, I probably would not buy one. But I wouldnt buy a honda if I didnt have a dealer close by either.

Great problem to have. Which supercar to buy...
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber
I bought my '13 12c after trading back my gt3. I put 2500 miles on my gt3 so I had a chance to drive it.

You will love your gt3 if you have one coming.

I spent 200k for my 2013 12c. If you were to get a 2012, they will be less. Mine is a 300k window.

Ive put 5000 miles on in the past month since buying. Its a great car that is fun at all speeds. The sport exhaust sounds awesome, unlike most tt cars. To call the 12c boring couldnt be further from the the truth.

I think its more exotic looking than the gt3, while not being over the top. A used one will not depreciate any faster than a gt3 at this stage.

My dealer is 30 miles away. If I didnt have one close, I probably would not buy one. But I wouldnt buy a honda if I didnt have a dealer close by either.

Great problem to have. Which supercar to buy...
I am looking at a 2012 @160k with a 300k sticker (loads of CF) and 2 yr warranty (1 yr left, dealer extended 1 yr) done 4k miles. Great deal if you ask me!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I am looking at a 2012 @160k with a 300k sticker (loads of CF) and 2 yr warranty (1 yr left, dealer extended 1 yr) done 4k miles. Great deal if you ask me!
That is a great deal. Where else could you get a bona fide 200+mph supercar for that price?? McLaren also has great customer service - a welcome change from some of the Germans.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a great price. 20k less than I would have guessed.

I have stopped worrying about depreciation on any of my vehicles that I buy. I dont pay attention to the miles, and I dont pay attention to current pricing once Ive bought. If you can buy a car at 60 cents on the dollar, that is a win in itself.

I didnt make my money buying and selling cars, thats for sure.

I think the amount of cars ( 458, 12c, etc.) that are for sale with less than 3k miles is mind boggling. These cars were never even broken in, let alone enjoyed.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I opted out of the 991 GT3 and went 12C. Hell of a car! For street use, I prefer the Mac. For track, well...I prefer a dedicated car, but if one of these 2 had to be chosen, I would take the 991.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:58 PM
nh4
Instructor

Wow, that is a great deal. If it's from an actual McLaren dealer, be sure to find out if it is a "McLaren Qualified" car or not. That's essentially their CPO program and comes with certain benefits (http://www.preowned.mclaren.com/USA/en/qualified). Also be aware that not all used McLarens fall under the Qualified Program.

Honestly, at 160k and only 4k miles, it really might not matter if it is a Qualified car or not!

-nh4.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

50% depreciation after 4k miles is just brutal.. The curse of turbo strikes again?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
50% depreciation after 4k miles is just brutal.. The curse of turbo strikes again?
No, the shortsighted release of the 650S. Everyone that just needed the latest and greatest got rid of their 12C to 'upgrade'. A big bonus for some of us. McLaren dealers were discounting brand new 2015 12C's by $50k or more. And the pre-owned ones are an even greater bargain. (as if anything costing $150k is a "bargain"!)
Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I would say that a carbon fiber chassis 600 hp car for 150 K is in fact a bargain

Quick Reply: Anyone considered the mclaren 12c?