Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 458

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those pics do not appear to be from an iPhone. Great photography and nice posts. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, great pics.

Fantastic time to be a car guy with means.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Let me ask you this; you feel that the 458 is more powerful but yet the 0-60 mph tests shows they are on par. Is it just the power delivery that makes the 458 seem that much more powerful??

Would you classify the GT3 as a fast car?- The reason; is that I get it that the GT3 needs to be kept up in the higher rev ranges to ring out the power but their numbers suggest that it is a pretty fast car but I do not necessarily get that feeling from people who have driven the GT3.

Great write-up though
I think the GT3 has a better launch because it is rear-engined, while the 458 spins the wheels a bit more and therefore waste some time. In gear, I feel the 458 is quicker when initial traction is not an issue. After all, the 458 has almost 100 more hp.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

The 458 has a tad more bark than bite. It sounds amazing. It is twitchy and on edge compared to GT3 as you said. It also seems faster than it really is I think. Both are great cars.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Fantastic write-up.

Thanks for sharing.

I think yours is the first black GT3 I've seen.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The 458 has a tad more bark than bite. It sounds amazing. It is twitchy and on edge compared to GT3 as you said. It also seems faster than it really is I think. Both are great cars.
458 is not twitchy. I also own a 991TT. 911's are great cars but a GT3 is not a 458. They are not even close IMHO.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Thanks for a great post Brad1us. As an owner of a 458 and 997 Turbo S, it speaks to me!

I love my visceral, ferocious 458, on road and track, and a major decisive point in its favor is its stunning looks. Every time I take the car cover off, I stand back thinking what a beautiful car to own … thankyou. If I only had one car, it really has to be the 458 because it’s such a ‘statement’ that appeals to so many people on so many levels, and I get to be part of it.

My Turbo S is also a wonderful car but my personal attachement is weak in comparison. And my number one issue with the car is to make it as track worthy, capable, forgiving as my mid-engine 458. The Turbo S does well on the track, but its soft compared to the 458, suffers body roll, and I really have to work to keep on top of the understeer/oversteer nemisis in tight corners (which isn’t a bad thing from a driver engagement perspective). It’s such an all round capable car, however, in the color I want, that I’m now adding sway bars to compensate for the body roll plus anything else that can keep me ahead of the many track worthy GT3s.

But then there’s the 991 GT3, a daily driver so to speak with its fabulous PDK, rear wheel steering, high reving engine, and great price point. I’m really trying to resist it, but I want a car that’s as good as my 458 on the track that won’t threaten bankruptcy if I crash.

Fortunately, I have lots of friends that advise me ‘get one, you only live once’. They all happen to be male, however, at odds with the more cautious, pragmatic advice of my partner who suggests I rent one, try one at racing exotics, be happy with the 458. So much wisdom swirling around, but my hunch is that the 458 really wants to sit beside a 991 GT3 in the garage, so that’s probably the way I’m headed too. Enjoy!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 AM
bradb1us
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcommander
458 is not twitchy. I also own a 991TT. 911's are great cars but a GT3 is not a 458. They are not even close IMHO.
You can't compare the turbo to the gt3. Very different cars. I know because I just dumped my 991 turbo s. They feel and drive like completely different vehicles.

The 458 is no doubt a special car. I love mine and will probably replace it with the new one. But it's simply amazing what Porsche has done with the 991 GT3. I think it's the best 911 they've produced yet.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 AM
bradb1us
Advanced

Originally Posted by shawsan
Thanks for a great post Brad1us. As an owner of a 458 and 997 Turbo S, it speaks to me!

I love my visceral, ferocious 458, on road and track, and a major decisive point in its favor is its stunning looks. Every time I take the car cover off, I stand back thinking what a beautiful car to own … thankyou. If I only had one car, it really has to be the 458 because it’s such a ‘statement’ that appeals to so many people on so many levels, and I get to be part of it.

My Turbo S is also a wonderful car but my personal attachement is weak in comparison. And my number one issue with the car is to make it as track worthy, capable, forgiving as my mid-engine 458. The Turbo S does well on the track, but its soft compared to the 458, suffers body roll, and I really have to work to keep on top of the understeer/oversteer nemisis in tight corners (which isn’t a bad thing from a driver engagement perspective). It’s such an all round capable car, however, in the color I want, that I’m now adding sway bars to compensate for the body roll plus anything else that can keep me ahead of the many track worthy GT3s.

But then there’s the 991 GT3, a daily driver so to speak with its fabulous PDK, rear wheel steering, high reving engine, and great price point. I’m really trying to resist it, but I want a car that’s as good as my 458 on the track that won’t threaten bankruptcy if I crash.

Fortunately, I have lots of friends that advise me ‘get one, you only live once’. They all happen to be male, however, at odds with the more cautious, pragmatic advice of my partner who suggests I rent one, try one at racing exotics, be happy with the 458. So much wisdom swirling around, but my hunch is that the 458 really wants to sit beside a 991 GT3 in the garage, so that’s probably the way I’m headed too. Enjoy!
Sounds like it's time to take the GT3 plunge! You won't regret it!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 AM
audi500uk
Track Day

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sorry,I have a hard time believing the throttle response in the GT3 will be permanently influenced by the launch control you did...say 2 weeks ago. I agree it might respond quicker right after you've launched it,but in modern cars the computer adapts to your driving style and if you go back driving like a grandma,that will reduce throttle response.

I actually wrote Tuesday which is only 3 days ago but my car has stuck on this quick response faze, you could be right if I start driving like Ms Daisy it reverts back but since then car has been in the same mode - good to know and use on track.

Leave in auto, Left foot brake on and foot to the metal, launch control sign comes up and release brake after 1 or 2 secs after that -- hold on tight!!!! - it is in the manual though.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

in the context of two immersive driver's cars....from my experience... the .2 RS or 991 GT3 shade the 458...with either of the former affording a level greater tactile engagement...

its takes the 458 Speciale for the Fezza camp to retake the lead...

whilst not a competitor on the tactile level of either of the foregoing...rather astonished by the Huracan's performance specs....

cf: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=1432267&nmt=

0 - 60 2.5s
standing quarter 10.4 @ 135mph...

did not expect that sort of acceleration....curious that Fezza elects to go Turbo..when the Bull has mustered such stats from a normal breather.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You think the 458 Italia is edgy and loud, go for a ride in the 458 Speciale! Louder, edgier, and punchier. I'm still trying to decide if I want a Speciale, as I have to choose between it and the GT3 (i.e. I can't have both). When I see and drive the Speciale, I get wrapped up in the beauty and emotion of the car, and think that it's a no-brainer. But later, when the endorphins and adrenaline drop back down to normal levels, and logic kicks in, and I think about how I will actually use the car, the rational part of my brain says that I may tire of the screaming Italian after a while, and be more comfortable with the GT3. It's not an easy decision.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Nigelr32
Track Day

For me, this video says it all...

I'll never get the opportunity to drive a 458, but I have ordered a GT3, partly based on this clip...
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bradb1us
You can't compare the turbo to the gt3. Very different cars. I know because I just dumped my 991 turbo s. They feel and drive like completely different vehicles.

The 458 is no doubt a special car. I love mine and will probably replace it with the new one. But it's simply amazing what Porsche has done with the 991 GT3. I think it's the best 911 they've produced yet.
Since this is the 991GT3 forum I get the support. I have owned most 911 variants including '11 GT3RS. I had a GT3 on order till all the BS started.

Price independent a 911 is not the same experience as a Ferrari. Just my opinion after owning many 911's and several Ferraris.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by eilig
You think the 458 Italia is edgy and loud, go for a ride in the 458 Speciale! Louder, edgier, and punchier. I'm still trying to decide if I want a Speciale, as I have to choose between it and the GT3 (i.e. I can't have both). When I see and drive the Speciale, I get wrapped up in the beauty and emotion of the car, and think that it's a no-brainer. But later, when the endorphins and adrenaline drop back down to normal levels, and logic kicks in, and I think about how I will actually use the car, the rational part of my brain says that I may tire of the screaming Italian after a while, and be more comfortable with the GT3. It's not an easy decision.
we are at the same point of thought....very difficult for me as well.
p

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 458