Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Man's Guide to the 2014 Monterey Historics this August!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo, thanks for the great list of restaurants...will keep me busy for years!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

great post

i'll be there this year from weds until mon
Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Eduardo, thanks for the great list of restaurants...will keep me busy for years!
Good!

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
great post

i'll be there this year from weds until mon
Hope you have a great time...this is my favorite week of the year!

The Porsche Zentrum is going up at Quail Lodge (photo 1 & 2). It is being built on Quail's tennis courts which was the original site of the Bonhams auction in past years. The Zentrum is also across the street from where The Quail Gathering will take place on Friday, which is adjacent to the Quail golf clubhouse and Edgar's Restaurant!

Bonhams has now moved to San Carlos Road at the corner of Valley Green Drive, a good half mile away, as you enter Quail (last photo). It is on the same grass field that the Porsche Zentrum was set up for the world intro of the Panamera years ago and where we held the 'Porsche Race Car Classic' back in 2011!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The Porsche Zentrum is going up at Quail Lodge (photo 1 & 2). It is being built on Quail's tennis courts which was the original site of the Bonhams auction in past years. The Zentrum is also across the street from where The Quail Gathering will take place on Friday, which is adjacent to the Quail golf clubhouse and Edgar's Restaurant!
Eduardo, I could try and look this up somewhere but I'm sure you know off the top of your head so hope you don't mind me being lazy and asking you first.

Last year I attended the Porsche Zentrum for the first time and reserved a ride in one of the cars so I had something on paper to show that I belonged. This year I might just like to stop by on Thursday. Is any kind of credential required for a drop in who doesn't want to drive a car? Should I be going on-line somewhere to sign up?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Mike, if I'm not down in that area for work, I'm definitely heading down for a few Porsche events.. No pressure of you want to head down alone, but you have a passenger if you want company
Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mike, if I'm not down in that area for work, I'm definitely heading down for a few Porsche events.. No pressure of you want to head down alone, but you have a passenger if you want company
PM sent
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo, I could try and look this up somewhere but I'm sure you know off the top of your head so hope you don't mind me being lazy and asking you first.

Last year I attended the Porsche Zentrum for the first time and reserved a ride in one of the cars so I had something on paper to show that I belonged. This year I might just like to stop by on Thursday. Is any kind of credential required for a drop in who doesn't want to drive a car? Should I be going on-line somewhere to sign up?
Mike:

I did the same thing last year. My local dealer gave me an invitation where I could sign up at the Zentrum website for a test drive at Quail. This year, the local dealership didn't offer that invitation to any of their clients...so I didn't get to sign up for a test drive! But I believe anyone can go and look around the Porsche Zentrum at the Quail starting on Wednesday August 13th. After all, it's a marketing exercise for Porsche! And there will be a 918 Spyder on display & rides for prospective buyers! So that is worth the effort of going there & looking around. It will much harder to visit the Zentrum on Friday because that is the day of The Quail and traffic/parking, etc will be a zoo! So avoid that day for visiting it if at all possible...

There will be an evening 'Private VIP Event' (their choice of words, not mine!) at the Porsche Zentrum on the weekend, but attendance is by invitation only. And you need to bring that invitation with you...or you will not get in! So caveat lector. If you are interested in attending this Party, I suggest you contact your dealer or sources at PCNA to see if they can get you in!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks, Eduardo. I'll stop by Thursday afternoon, and see if they try to keep me out!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Wow, great local knowledge and really appreciated! We go every year, last year we took my buddies original owner and all original E30M3 to show off at legends. This year with me between sports cars I didn't think I had anything to show off, but turns out that BMWCCA will featuring wagons at the Festorics during the Historics on Saturday, and my car will be featured (with my GT3 plate to boot!). http://www.festorics.org/festorics20...ics/index.html. So I'll be posting as we go during the weekend. Unfortunately we only arrive on Thursday- we always miss so many cool things early in the week, as you point out. I already used your list to make a reservation at Turn 12 for Friday night!

Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Our campsite last year at the Corkscrew View. We park next to the Dunkle Bros. compound, they always have a vintage Porsche racing and often something at the Quail. Always fun!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  101.7 KB
Old 08-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
Our campsite last year at the Corkscrew View. We park next to the Dunkle Bros. compound, they always have a vintage Porsche racing and often something at the Quail. Always fun!
Yes, Peter and Cheryl Dunkel (plus his brother & friend) put a nice barbecue at their 8 space mega-camp site above turn 9 at Laguna Seca! I have been their guest many times. Good people!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Best Of Show at Carmel's Concours on the Avenue on Tuesday!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 PM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo,

How's traffic around the area? Deliberating between stick or PDK.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Great info on the restoration on that #9 917 from Gunnar Racing here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/teamgunnar

Includes humorous Brian Redman interview

No Porsche 'corral' at Laguna Seca this year? I'm heading to the track Friday afternoon from the north on 101/68 and I'm also concerned about traffic around the track then. Last year the traffic in the morning was fine coming from Seaside.

It's too bad none of these events have a live channel like Goodwood always does.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So we are leaving dinner tonight one block above Cannery Row, there is black smoke fire coming from Fishermans Warf area and my 9 year old daughter says, "dad, do you think that is a GT3." My heart sank. She is marred for life. We haven't talked about GT3 fires for quite some time.

Appears fire actually came from a fishing boat, not a car at Russo Steele, which is in the parking lot.

Quick Reply: One Man's Guide to the 2014 Monterey Historics this August!