Sponsored by:

Tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Tint

It's great that the cars are now arriving so we can talk about other things besides our frustration with Porsche.

My GT3 should arrive within a week. I'm so excited to finally drive it!
It was on the factory floor when the stop sale went through and has been sitting in Germany for 4 months. Guards Red, red stitching, steel brakes, front lift, and black headlights.

For the first time in my life, I plan to tint the windows of my car. I hope to accomplish several things with this.
Add a bit more menace, enhance the overall red and black color scheme, preserve the leather from the sun, keep the car cooler in the sun, and add more privacy when teenagers pull alongside in some ricer car.

I'm curious if any of you have tinted your GT3 or previous cars.
What % tint did you use or wish you had used on the windshield and other windows?
Any recommended tint products? Any to avoid?

For those who use ceramic layer with their tint, has it affected the sensitivity of your radar detector or given you a rainbow affect when driving with sunglasses?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I would go with just a regular tint at 35%. 3M makes the one of the better products. I believe another brand is Luminar. The 3M is a little thicker mil and better because when you close and open your door the widow moves about a 1/2 inch so I like the thicker mil(tougher). Make sure when they do it that you let your car sit for a day or two and adjust the latch on the door so that you can not close the door but the light will go out and let it sit.

It sounds extreme but I have learned my lesson the hard way
Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I live in Texas I don't like tinted windows. I think it takes away some of the car's original charm and class. But that's me
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fadi1
Although I live in Texas I don't like tinted windows. I think it takes away some of the car's original charm and class. But that's me
To each his own of course.

However, you might be interested to know that Porsche offers window tint on the GT3 as a regular option in Europe and the UK. It's just not available in the US due to some US bureaucratic issue. So the original charm of a 991 GT3 does include tint.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
To each his own of course. However, you might be interested to know that Porsche offers window tint on the GT3 as a regular option in Europe and the UK. It's just not available in the US due to some US bureaucratic issue. So the original charm of a 991 GT3 does include tint.
I think, like clear bra, the installer is KEY. Get good referrals and go to his shop and see other cars in process. Pay specific attention to edges of all windows. It should be seamless and without gap.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had always done the 'standard' 35%, but in a way I don't like tinted windows as it can make the car look too aftermarket and sometimes at night it cuts down on visibility in a bad way. OTHO, I don't have tint in my truck and it sucks b/c of the heat gain in the cabin and the sun on you during long drives.

So, the more subtle solution is 50% which is what I'm thinking about now.

I also have used a clear (maybe it was a 95% or 90%) tint in the windshield to cut down on heat. Worked like a champ in my X5.

All the top brands are pretty good these days as long as you use ceramic tint that won't mess with your radar detector/gps. Just don't use dyed films.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
To each his own of course.

However, you might be interested to know that Porsche offers window tint on the GT3 as a regular option in Europe and the UK. It's just not available in the US due to some US bureaucratic issue. So the original charm of a 991 GT3 does include tint.
Hey drift. What's up buddy? I always tint 35% all the way around including windshield. Never been stopped for this either.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I had always done the 'standard' 35%, but in a way I don't like tinted windows as it can make the car look too aftermarket and sometimes at night it cuts down on visibility in a bad way. OTHO, I don't have tint in my truck and it sucks b/c of the heat gain in the cabin and the sun on you during long drives.

So, the more subtle solution is 50% which is what I'm thinking about now.

I also have used a clear (maybe it was a 95% or 90%) tint in the windshield to cut down on heat. Worked like a champ in my X5.

All the top brands are pretty good these days as long as you use ceramic tint that won't mess with your radar detector/gps. Just don't use dyed films.
Good point Fray. I did wife windshield 50% and it does not block visibility at all so I might have the windshield 50% this time around and yes at night it's not safe with 35%.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would go with just a regular tint at 35%. 3M makes the one of the better products. I believe another brand is Luminar. The 3M is a little thicker mil and better because when you close and open your door the widow moves about a 1/2 inch so I like the thicker mil(tougher). Make sure when they do it that you let your car sit for a day or two and adjust the latch on the door so that you can not close the door but the light will go out and let it sit.

It sounds extreme but I have learned my lesson the hard way
I plan on using 3M Crystalline CR90 on the windshield and CR50 layered on another 50% every where else. I gave this on the GL and it's perfect for me. Much cooler than everything I had in the past. I am in AZ so it's a different need than the Midwest.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

3M has the best tinting products out - in my opinion. Just like Xpel with the clear bra but Xpel is not the best to fully wrap hood because when you tuck it on the inside it does not have the best adhesion. Some use a special glue but do not have that done or let any one do that. It will not be fun when it comes to remove it
Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

I have 3M Crystalline on my 993 and it complements the car in two ways - greenish (coke bottle-esque) hue looks tasteful on an older car; cuts down on heat and UV but less so on visible light. Ie, passengers are cooler but you don't look like a drug dealer.

Not sure if I will tint the GT3 or not.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^I am just going to do 35% all around except will not touch wind shield
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I tint all my cars, too hot otherwise. I tint 35% front and 20% rear. Won't interfere with GPS because the antenna is outside the car. 20% rear doesn't affect night visibility much. I haven't tinted the front, my understanding it must be totally clear in TX and it only decreases UV not heat, so it would help reduce fabric/leather damage. Windshield material can interfere with toll tags and radar detectors, so they frequently leave a small uncovered section for whatever you need. I like the look of tinted cars and in Texas, fits right in.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Hey drift. What's up buddy? I always tint 35% all the way around including windshield. Never been stopped for this either.
Hey Silver, is your car here yet? I stopped coming around rennlist for a while because the wait was killing me.

Interesting that you've never been pulled over for this. I was reading up on California tint laws, and they are some of the strictest in the country.
From what I read you can tint your rear windows in california, but that's it. Tinting any other window is illegal, and they don't allow medical exemptions.

A light tint that is equal on all the windows, might just be the best way to keep the cops guessing if it's factory or not.

Can't believe they never pulled you over for 35%!

Last edited by Drifting; 08-03-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Huper Optik is very good. A friend of mine has a high end audio store and this is all he uses. He installed 20% on the side windows and 15% on the windshield of my 2014 Tundra. 20% pretty much matches the factory tint on the back windows. Cuts UV, gives some privacy and looks good. I think you get the aftermarket look when you go too dark.

Quick Reply: Tint