Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint

Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I tint all my cars, too hot otherwise. I tint 35% front and 20% rear. Won't interfere with GPS because the antenna is outside the car. 20% rear doesn't affect night visibility much. I haven't tinted the front, my understanding it must be totally clear in TX and it only decreases UV not heat, so it would help reduce fabric/leather damage. Windshield material can interfere with toll tags and radar detectors, so they frequently leave a small uncovered section for whatever you need. I like the look of tinted cars and in Texas, fits right in.
I never understood where the GPS antenna was in Porsche's that have PCM navigation, but not satellite radio, as there isn't an external wart on the car.

So you did or didn't tint the front. First you said you did, then you didn't? Did you mean the front side windows?
I'm worried about the radar detector issue as well. Tinting the windshield isn't worth it, if I get an extra ticket out of it. I will have to discuss different products with local installers

I do think that a moderate tint on a GT3 will accent the black grillwork on the front, particularly if you have black headlights.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-03-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

A moderate tinting will complete your car w/ black headlights ect.

Your radar detector will work fine w/ 35%.

I would not recommend tinting windshield
Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
A moderate tinting will complete your car w/ black headlights ect.

Your radar detector will work fine w/ 35%.

I would not recommend tinting windshield
Why do you recommend against tinting the windshield?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

For me; I need to have complete clarity out the front shield. I need to see the road and every thing in front of me perfectly. I do not want any tint what so ever. I once tinted the upper 8 inches and that was a mistake because it threw my eyes off and did no like the front tinted. *Plus, here I Chicago it is illegal
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front windshield tint is not legal in most states. You should check with your insurance company on their position. In my case, the tint actual improves visibly removing a lot of glare. Comfort in the car is much improved in the AZ harsh sun. And it is light enough that I doubt anyone has ever noticed it is tinted.

No reception issues with phones or gps.

I could see a strip of tint being more of an issue than one solid piece, but that's me.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Hey Silver, is your car here yet? I stopped coming around rennlist for a while because the wait was killing me.

Interesting that you've never been pulled over for this. I was reading up on California tint laws, and they are some of the strictest in the country.
From what I read you can tint your rear windows in california, but that's it. Tinting any other window is illegal, and they don't allow medical exemptions.

A light tint that is equal on all the windows, might just be the best way to keep the cops guessing if it's factory or not.

Can't believe they never pulled you over for 35%!
Drift, you gave up on us bro? Never been pulled over. My car is ready for transport. few more days.Good to have you back
Old 08-04-2014, 03:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Huper Optik is very good. A friend of mine has a high end audio store and this is all he uses. He installed 20% on the side windows and 15% on the windshield of my 2014 Tundra. 20% pretty much matches the factory tint on the back windows. Cuts UV, gives some privacy and looks good. I think you get the aftermarket look when you go too dark.
+1 for huper optic. I had their tint on some cars, and heat rejection is amazing. Some years ago they were the only tint that got high UV and heat rejection with good visible light transmission, but now many others do that, so I'm not sure they are still the best. Their films are designed mostly for buildings, so they are thick and do not work as well for curved class. But they are optically great (no image distortion) and very tough, so do not get scratched from lowering windows.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Canspeed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

planning on 35% tint all the way around, clear bra over entire hood and front bumper

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint