Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle lift dilemma? This may help you decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I HAD to get it this time due to parking ramp in a building... other wise, I wouldn’t have needed it or got it.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The .2GT3 sits higher than the ,1. I have the lift and still have minor scraping but honestly I think I could do without one. I assume the RS will have the same over hang and height as the .2GT3. Nevertheless, I have spec'ed the RS with one. it cost about 1% of the car value. Also, a lot easier to sell the car with one.
nick, how much higher does the .2 sit? Is this something you have a Porsche source for, or that you just noticed while navigating the same obstacle you had driven over in your .1?

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I have been able to negotiate the driveway and other inclines w/o the lift on the .2 that I couldn't with the .1. I got the lift based on my .1 experience but the .2 clearly is higher in the front.
The .1 FAL lifted the car by 30 mm, the .2 FAL lifts the car by 40mm. So that may skew your judgement of how high the .2 sits without the lift.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

For a DD car its a wise choice. For my upcoming RS.2, i will get the lift if Euro Delivery timeframe works... otherwise will skip it.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

nick, how much higher does the .2 sit? Is this something you have a Porsche source for, or that you just noticed while navigating the same obstacle you had driven over in your .1?

The .1 FAL lifted the car by 30 mm, the .2 FAL lifts the car by 40mm. So that may skew your judgement of how high the .2 sits without the lift.
FWIW, the .2GT3 sits about 4 1/2" from the ground when the lift is lowered. When raised it is 6 1/2". My driving experience has been that with the .1GT3 I would have some scraping entering my driveway. With the .2 no scraping even when the car is lowered. Also, I recall a post where the difference between the .1 and .2 is that the .2 is about 1" higher.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:25 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lift button shud be on the steering wheel, so shud the sport button and sport exhaust button. It is not convenient to take your eyes off the road look downwards and reach for them with your right hand. Having said that whether you need a lift is largely dependent on your garage and parking situation, and your geographic area ( City and Country you live in). There is not one correct answer for all. For some it could be essential. I have had the lift. In my case I could have managed easily without it and used the money on leather or other options.

Having said that when you have a potential buyer they want the comfort of knowing the car has a lift. They would be skeptical if you told them the car does not have one and it does not need one however true that may be.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Never needed the lift in almost 24,000 Driving miles. Still on the original 2014 front plastic splitter.
Entering or leaving steep driveways at an angle always is a big help in avoiding ground contact.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Never needed the lift in almost 24,000 Driving miles. Still on the original 2014 front plastic splitter.
Entering or leaving steep driveways at an angle always is a big help in avoiding ground contact.
I wouldn’t get the FAL in Florida, however California has particularly deep gutters for flash floods, and really high speed bumps compared to other states, so I wouldn’t own a GT3 here without it.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

I wouldn’t get the FAL in Florida, however California has particularly deep gutters for flash floods, and really high speed bumps compared to other states, so I wouldn’t own a GT3 here without it.
Oh, these deep gutters in California. I have to use the lift AND enter at an angle just to get into some gas stations. I am surprised they have not learned about placing the drainage systems UNDER the pavement like most developed countries do for 100+ years now. Or maybe the taxes are just not high enough to pay for it. Anyway, sorry for offtopic - I just had to drive through a flooded road and a massive accident scene on the road to Monterey due to a slight rain that would have been unnoticed anywhere else, so I'm still worked up from that.

On topic, lift is a big benefit in some places. Have in on 991.1 GT3 and will get in on 991.2 RS. Also have in on my 991.2 Turbo, but that was probably unnecessary - deflatable front splitter is enough there.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:06 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

No choice in Australia, comes fitted as standard. Our roads here and government obsession with speed bumps mean most would tick it anyway...
Old 03-03-2018, 03:29 AM
Lazyflatfoot
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 991.2 GT3 for about a month now. When I ordered the car, I didn't really think I would need it but now it's the only thing I regret not ordering
Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather not have one extra part to fail. The plastic lip is a disposable item, and I can get the cup lip from Porsche motorsports for a good price from my shop around $200 - so I just buy a few. If the bottom scrapes and gets some fuzz - I just use a wood plane to smooth it. Replace it every 2 years or so. Didn't get around to putting Armor All on the lip as it's rainy season.

I haven't found it necessary in 64K miles, except for one friends house.

Here's my driveway - that wheel is about 4-5 inches off the ground, but I don't scrape at a 30 deg angle. The first year of ownership I went through 2 lips driving around L.A. After a while you know what you can and can't do, and how to take the angles.
Name:  qzJ7Qu1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  852.4 KB
Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I don't even know why this is a debate - FAL should be standard - and you can request a delete like AC/Radio.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM
gmundster
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR FAL

ON 2010 RS AND GLAD I DID
SPEC'D ON 991.2 RS...(#1 WITH A V070)
TAILERING...PUTTING ON LIFT...SUB OPTIMAL STREET ENVIRONMENTS(ALL ROADS IN MI).
BONUS ...YOU CAN GROOM THE SNOW LEVEL IN YOUR LANEWAY BETWEEN 4.5-6 INCHES AS NEEDED !!!!

Quick Reply: Front axle lift dilemma? This may help you decide