Sponsored by:

Front axle lift dilemma? This may help you decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I have the lifter. Has anyone noticed the negative effect it has on the suspension. I have smallish speed bumps on my parents' driveway. I don't need the lift for them. I just sail over at 15mph. If I deploy the lift and go over at the same speed I get a right old clonk. Sounds like the suspension is bottoming out. If I go over real slow it's fine.

Conclusion: lift is no good at speed. Just use it for driveway inclines and huge bumps that you have to slow right down for.
Hmmm...Paul, that hasn't been my experience. I use the lift frequently on bad roads under 40mph and have noticed no weird noises. I haven't tried sailing over any speed bumps at 15MPH, though. The manual does say to expect some noise from the front springs during steering maneuvers because the damping characteristics of the shocks are changed when the lift is up, and I assume suspension travel is also reduced. I've heard some noise from the front when making tight slow speed turns but no clonks.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Not really - I have a C2S loaner and it has 3000 miles no scrapes. Had a 2007 997.2 Turbo and only scrapped it when I was stoned and pulled up to far in a parking space that has those cement blocks at the end and scrapped it pretty good. I was mad at myself because the it was painted red at the factory and then you could see the black. After 2 weeks you forgot and I did not care any more. I knew for $200 I could replace it any time with the standard black one.
I have C2S and I got the car with 40 miles on it. It had a scrape before I sat in it. The dealer told me to try to keep the scrapes to a minimum recognizing there will be scrapes NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL YOU ARE.

As I said, it is impossible to anticipate all the dips in roads. It will happen no matter what you do.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
I have C2S and I got the car with 40 miles on it. It had a scrape before I sat in it. The dealer told me to try to keep the scrapes to a minimum recognizing there will be scrapes NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL YOU ARE.

As I said, it is impossible to anticipate all the dips in roads. It will happen no matter what you do.
Nick, we can go back and forth on this forever, and probably will. No one is denying that some scrapes are inevitable. But other scrapes, and possible bumper damage can and in my own case have been avoided by having the lift. The lift can't completely resolve all the problems of having a really low car, but it can mitigate some of them. That's why I got it.

I know you and others didn't order it so we obviously disagree on it's utility. But I'd hate for someone who is still is trying to make up their mind to think that there are no situations where the lift can help; I've experienced them and it does.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

A lot of useful information. Thanks to all.
For me, if the lift saves damage to the bumper just once, it will have been worth it.
Damage to the splitter isn't so much of an issue...it's what's behind it. Being **** about keeping the car in perfect aesthetic condition doesn't help me either!
I also feel that there will be damage to other underbelly bits such as the brake cooling ducts etc. I wonder if one should just go ahead and keep some spares.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Fwiw, talk to your sales guy. He'll have pretty good advice usually on the relative value of certain options, especially the lift.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Elephant Bart
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lift system is a life saver. It would be really hard driving around bay area without it. Our own driveway is challenging as is.

Originally Posted by ARSGT3
Speaking of Front Axle Lift does anyone have a photo of the car in the raised position? trying to guage exactly how much room there is. Thanks
It adds about 30mm, just enough room NOT to hit an iphone

BTW... Mike, was that you hanging out by 101/85 this morning?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Elephant Bart
The lift system is a life saver. It would be really hard driving around bay area without it. Our own driveway is challenging as is. It adds about 30mm, just enough room NOT to hit an iphone

BTW... Mike, was that you hanging out by 101/85 this morning?
Hi Bart, I did about 150 miles this morning, but it was up the coast then over to 101 and back down south to the Santa Rosa area. Must have been my twin in the South Bay.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Elephant Bart
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Bart, I did about 150 miles this morning, but it was up the coast then over to 101 and back down south to the Santa Rosa area. Must have been my twin in the South Bay.
Fun drive. Yup it was a red 991 GT3 heading 101 south around 8 this morning. Looks good in red!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
A lot of useful information. Thanks to all. For me, if the lift saves damage to the bumper just once, it will have been worth it. Damage to the splitter isn't so much of an issue...it's what's behind it. Being **** about keeping the car in perfect aesthetic condition doesn't help me either! I also feel that there will be damage to other underbelly bits such as the brake cooling ducts etc. I wonder if one should just go ahead and keep some spares.
Haku. I'm afraid if you use this vehicle in the way it was attended it will be inevitable lift or no lift to get some scrapes under there and damage to those silly fairing thingies! I'm aware of two cars needing replacement bumpers already one in States and one in euro pecans both were due to run off onto grass from track - relatively flat run off. Also hard twisty fast roads create compression etc
Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Haku. I'm afraid if you use this vehicle in the way it was attended it will be inevitable lift or no lift to get some scrapes under there and damage to those silly fairing thingies! I'm aware of two cars needing replacement bumpers already one in States and one in euro pecans both were due to run off onto grass from track - relatively flat run off. Also hard twisty fast roads create compression etc
You are of course right. I'm going to start on the valium pronto!
Having said that, I am so looking forward to spending time on a track and being instructed by my mate (an SCCA instructor) who's just got his GT3 back. He pretty much said what you stated... scrapes are inevitable! He too has got the lift but still manages to scrape the car. I guess its all part of the experience!

Macca, this is somewhat OT but I should say that as a passive viewer of this forum your posts and in particular your euro collection and trip postings were a pleasure to follow. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Haku. Thanks for your kind words. It is possible to keep it looking good on the road - in Europe we barely had a scrape or a stone chip, I guess we were on good clean roads and taking it a little easier than roads we are familiar with back home. As soon as it went to the track and got black track marble marks all over the bonnet, small stone chips on wheels and on the sills a from the debris over the chicanes etc Then I went for a fast 200+ mile back road drive with a group of mates teh next day (these guys are team mates from the Targa tarmac tour rally we have down here annually), this is NZ driving at its best - very narrow tight and twisty in rural areas on a Sunday morning (rule in NZ no farmers work on Sunday so no blind corners with large slow tractors behind them!). This drive alone put pebble rash on the lower sills and, rear stone guard protectors and front bumper/hood as inevitably these roads are not cleaned (i.e. covered in small stones) and we follow fairly close on to each other to get the lines (100m spacing typical speeds 100-170kmph). Picture below from a brief rest.

I'm a Virgo so like you mentioned would normally have taken a Valium over all of this, but after a luckily uneventful Europe tour and now on home turf having waited for a new engine and finally given it a bit of beans on the track and the road I stood back and looked at the car and thought "damn it I'm going to drive this one not wash it". Life is too short. If the next guy wants it mind Ill have the paint shop fix it up before selling!

Anyway - hope everyone enjoys these in good health. Thing is you need to whip them hard to get the most out of them, so you will be going quickly form time to time when you do hit those small stones flicked up from a passing car on the other side of the road - just smile and feel good that its getting a nice "patina" to show the world you have tested it is "fit for purpose" LOL!

:-)
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
A lot of useful information. Thanks to all.
Yes, thanks very much, fellows.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3RS Front Axle Lift System

Sooooo, reviving this.... same consensus on the new .2RS? FALS still a strong recommendation? Note: .2RS FALS is now hydraulic instead of pneumatic.

I have it spec'd just in case but I also wonder how different the .1RS and .2RS dimensions are in regards to front overhang, clearance (still the same?), etc.... since after all new front fascia design and splitter.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
Sooooo, reviving this.... same consensus on the new .2RS? FALS still a strong recommendation? Note: .2RS FALS is now hydraulic instead of pneumatic.

I have it spec'd just in case but I also wonder how different the .1RS and .2RS dimensions are in regards to front overhang, clearance (still the same?), etc.... since after all new front fascia design and splitter.
The .2GT3 sits higher than the ,1. I have the lift and still have minor scraping but honestly I think I could do without one. I assume the RS will have the same over hang and height as the .2GT3. Nevertheless, I have spec'ed the RS with one. it cost about 1% of the car value. Also, a lot easier to sell the car with one.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I have been able to negotiate the driveway and other inclines w/o the lift on the .2 that I couldn't with the .1. I got the lift based on my .1 experience but the .2 clearly is higher in the front.

Quick Reply: Front axle lift dilemma? This may help you decide