Sponsored by:

Delay at Port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Delay at Port?

Looks like my car in finally at Port and apparently Porsche is doing a little bit longer inspection at port before it gets placed on a truck for Delivery to my Dealer. Anybody else heard about this? Looks like could be 2 weeks till I see her in the flesh
Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Looks like my car in finally at Port and apparently Porsche is doing a little bit longer inspection at port before it gets placed on a truck for Delivery to my Dealer. Anybody else heard about this? Looks like could be 2 weeks till I see her in the flesh
A delay at San Diego? Was your engine swap performed at San Diego or at the factory?

Is it possible that Porsche is sending the stickers to the ports now...?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
A delay at San Diego? Was your engine swap performed at San Diego or at the factory?

Is it possible that Porsche is sending the stickers to the ports now...?
As was the case with my car, Porsche was no longer holding cars waiting for the stickers. A notice was actually included with my paperwork that said as much and that the stickers would be mailed separately. I hope your cars aren't once again being held for stickers...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

My car was completed at the factory and delivered to I believe Houston. Now still at port undergoing some kind of inspection which I have been told is more extensive than other 991s etc. they say it is only a couple of days and has been going on since delivery resumed.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought the thorough inspection was done by the dealer. I don't believe the mechanics installing the engines are allow to test drive them. They install the engines and the car is shipped to the dealer.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I thought the thorough inspection was done by the dealer. I don't believe the mechanics installing the engines are allow to test drive them. They install the engines and the car is shipped to the dealer.
Maybe Ian wasn't giving me the straight scoop, but when I asked him about engine break in, he said that engines were run for a time at the factory, after being installed at the port, and also at the dealerships. Whether that involved driving at the port, he didn't say, but it could mean that there is a port inspection process that's more involved than usual.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
My car was completed at the factory and delivered to I believe Houston. Now still at port undergoing some kind of inspection which I have been told is more extensive than other 991s etc. they say it is only a couple of days and has been going on since delivery resumed.
Hmmm. Maybe things run differently in Houston, as opposed to SD and Rhode Island. Hopefully it's just a day or two at the max for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Hmmm. Maybe things run differently in Houston, as opposed to SD and Rhode Island. Hopefully it's just a day or two at the max for you.
Things at Porsche at the Port of Houston are definitely not the same as at Davisville or San Diego. As I have previously posted, Porsche is not doing any swaps at their facility at the Port of Houston. My car came into the Port of Houston on February 11th, sat until mid-July, and was then sent to PCNA Atlanta for the engine swap. From there, it is being returned to the Porsche Port of Houston facility, presumably for a last Port type PDI, and then it will be sent to my dealer.

My car got to Atlanta on July 14th, and the guys at the Porsche Port of Houston facility told my dealer to look for it to arrive at the dealership in "early August". Hopefully, that means this Friday or Saturday, or at least one day next week.

The only reasons I can think of that it makes sense to send engine-swapped cars originally offloaded at the Port of Houston back to Houston after the engine swap in Atlanta is to facilitate transportation efficiency back and forth from Atlanta and to then allow distribution of the cars to individual dealers via the normal process used for cars received into the port from a ship.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Delays at Port. Dunno the deal other than 'inspections'.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I think the delay is the transit time to Atlanta and back and the are giving you conservative dates. You will be fine. They have been very Professional doing these replacements. I am actually floored by how this is actually being handled. I had my reservations but if it takes a little longer with the results we are seeing posted; I can live with that.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 AM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Things at Porsche at the Port of Houston are definitely not the same as at Davisville or San Diego. As I have previously posted, Porsche is not doing any swaps at their facility at the Port of Houston. My car came into the Port of Houston on February 11th, sat until mid-July, and was then sent to PCNA Atlanta for the engine swap. From there, it is being returned to the Porsche Port of Houston facility, presumably for a last Port type PDI, and then it will be sent to my dealer. My car got to Atlanta on July 14th, and the guys at the Porsche Port of Houston facility told my dealer to look for it to arrive at the dealership in "early August". Hopefully, that means this Friday or Saturday, or at least one day next week. The only reasons I can think of that it makes sense to send engine-swapped cars originally offloaded at the Port of Houston back to Houston after the engine swap in Atlanta is to facilitate transportation efficiency back and forth from Atlanta and to then allow distribution of the cars to individual dealers via the normal process used for cars received into the port from a ship.
jfr0317 my dealer has reported the same pattern of progress of my car too. Arrived in Atlanta July 14 and as of a day or two ago my dealer said it was released by "to port" and to expect it in "early August."
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

My engine is delayed (was supposed to be delivered to my dealer for install last week). No explanation or tracking from PAG.

Quick Reply: Delay at Port?