Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrara White Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw two cars side by side at the dealership, not sure about the specific product, but both are dealer cars so i assume they do a decent job of taking care of the wrap. but side by side to me it is very noticeable (at 5-10 feet). i was actually disappointed b/c i do want to protect the car. initially i was going to do the whole front but now i think i will just go bumper... i really love the white paint and it is to me pretty dull with a wrap on it. i guess i would rather have a few chips than have a dull hood.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

It should not be dull. The Xpel ultimate on my S6 looks no different from the other parts of the car. There are some parts of the film that show some waviness, honestly not much different than orange peel IMO, but it is not dull. They are not taking care of the film, and never assume the dealership is doing a decent job of anything when it comes to taking care of a car.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your S6 white? I thought maybe it's more noticeable on a white car. i thought it was more dull but also discolored. you're right though, can't assume the dealer took care of it right, though the car is less than 1 year old so was a little shocking to see.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

there is no way a plastic film can ever have the hardness (therefore gloss) of a clear coat lacquer. My experience from years of the stuff on my 993 is that it gets softer and rougher looking with age. Its also a PITA when you need a panel repair as you are not only up for the cost of say a new bumper but now also new plastic film. Over the course of ownership of my 993 I think I could have resprayed the front end entirely at least once with what I have spent on clear film. On my white 968 it went yellow within 24 months (was a 3M product - latest and greatest will never discolour claims at the time). Just my personal thought but once you get over your OCD youll learn to live and enjoy the paint. If you are a track junky or like fast back road drives the blood and glue form insects and black from tyre marbles will discolour your front bumper plastic wrap even faster than DD driving...
Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
is your S6 white? I thought maybe it's more noticeable on a white car. i thought it was more dull but also discolored. you're right though, can't assume the dealer took care of it right, though the car is less than 1 year old so was a little shocking to see.
Not white - Estoril Blue. Still is glossy though, you might be seeing some discoloring, especially if they didn't take care of it properly. It might also depend on the film they used. Xpel is pretty good and has a clear coat component on it which probably helps the gloss. It also has a 10 year warranty - if it yellows during that time (assuming you used and authorized installer) they will replace the product.

As Macca states, it will not always look the same. Keep in mind the film may rip, chip, etc., but it is the film, not the paint. And the cost of me putting the film on the S6 is way less than the cost of a re-spray. I would do it again to know that the paint is not wrecked, just the film. And on the GT3 I am considering a matte wrap to give the car the matte paint look without the care needed for matte paint.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

At the dealership, I saw the difference. the metallic has flecks that make up the "metallic" nature of the paint that's very similar to the metallic paint I have on my current car. It is effectively a pattern of very small flakes under the clear coat that, when viewed in light, gives it a pearlescent color depending upon the angle of your view to the light. In other words, the color of the white remains white but, it can sparkle or shift color depending upon lighting and your viewing angle relative to that lighting. You have to be very close to see the difference from a flat white.

The regular white is a flat white and is best described as a pure white that will not shift in color.

I picked the metallic.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I picked the metallic.
So did I....
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Looks like three of us. I think it will be a good color for a gt3, and I love the whites but wanted something different than the norm. Please post when you receive .........mine should arrive late October.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Those of you who chose the metallic, what wheels did you go with? Standard, silver or black?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
Those of you who chose the metallic, what wheels did you go with? Standard, silver or black?

I love the standard wheel color!

Build
18 way seats red stitching
Red gauges
Dark aluminum
Full leather
Leather steering column
LED's
All the free options
Lift
Light package interior
Heated seats

I think that's it
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I went with Black wheels for 2 reasons.....love how it looks and I hate cleaning wheels....
Old 09-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^ Then go standard and save money. As soon as the brake dust collects the standard looks black. I actually think the more brake dust the better they look. They turn like a matte black color
Old 09-07-2014, 12:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for those that picked white metallic, you aren't worried that it will be too elegant/pearly/metallic in a way that goes better with a Cadillac vs. a GT3? I am exaggerating of course, and not meaning to insult, I am asking the question because I have been tempted to consider this color. But just figured that regular bright white is safest and sportiest of the two whites. I have seen the white metallic on a cayenne at our dealer, but really hard to tell what it will look like on a GT3. A picture with a white GT3 next to a white metallic GT3 would be priceless.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Metallic white clashing w/ stripes on camo.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish they would start offering matte colors from the factory. Hell Mercedes even offers Matte colors.

Would get a Matte Black GT3, call me crazy but I doubt Porsche would do a Matte Black on a PTS?

Quick Reply: Carrara White Metallic