Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement at Port or dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Engine replacement at Port or dealer?

Quick question.

I was at one of the many Porsche dealerships here in Los Angeles and noticed a 991 ready to be loaded onto a transport truck. I asked the salesman if it was going to a lucky customer far away and he said no. The new engine arrived at the port and the car is on it's way there for replacement. I had thought that some dealers were replacing engines in house and he said not so. Just curious if that's the case everywhere.

On another note they had another car that had just arrived with it's new motor. Had the paper on the dash that said that the engine had been replaced. That paper also said ONE year extended warranty on the engine and didn't look official. More like someone had printed it with Microsoft Word in their office. Not on Porsche letterhead. He said that car had just returned from the port in San Diego with it's new heart.

He also offered it to me for $20k over MSRP. :/

Do able and tempting but I think I'll wait until a non enthusiast gets tired of his car around Thanksgiving and pick one up then.

Just thought I would share with you fellas.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was at Port of Emden in DE when the stop sale when down. I thought it would be shipped back to factory. Nope, it's being shipped to San Diego for engine replacement. From what I understand, PAG sent a team of trained techs from DE to handle US engine replacements, and the replacements have been going quickly and expertly.

This solution makes sense to me. Would rather see a highly trained team do the engine R&R than individual dealers. Not knocking the dealers, but a trained group of 5 guys doing all the replacements ensures consistency and accuracy IMO.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
My car was at Port of Emden in DE when the stop sale when down. I thought it would be shipped back to factory. Nope, it's being shipped to San Diego for engine replacement. From what I understand, PAG sent a team of trained techs from DE to handle US engine replacements, and the replacements have been going quickly and expertly.

This solution makes sense to me. Would rather see a highly trained team do the engine R&R than individual dealers. Not knocking the dealers, but a trained group of 5 guys doing all the replacements ensures consistency and accuracy IMO.

Wow.

Where are you?? then to San Diego and then back to you when it's done. The transport has got to be costing a pretty penny. I'm sure Porsche will be happy when all the engines are replaced and this is history.

I'd love for one of the San Diego guys to maybe take a few pics of the room or warehouse where the engines are being replaced. That would be neat.

I'm a couple hours from San Diego or I'd put on a old drivers race suit, take the plates off my C2S and see if I could sneak my way in there for a peek! Just a peek!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From factory to Port of Emden, sat for months, then on the Vega Leader, which just cleared the Panama Canal today, ETA San Diego August 5th. 2 day turnaround for engine, 2-3 days to ship here to Austin, TX.

The car otherwise would have landed in Houston for a short jaunt over to Austin.

I agree. Would like to see a pic with a stack of crate motors and the team at work.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Marcus, with regard to the warranty question, I recently received the official letter from Porsche regarding compensation. It states specifically that the existing 4 year/50K mile limited warranty on my car will be extended by 1 additional year and a further 50K miles for a total of 5 years/100K miles. My reading of this is that the warranty extension does not apply just to the engine, but to the car as a whole.

I believe that some ROW cars had their engines replaced at dealerships, but AFAIK all US cars have been returned to port to have their engines replaced by the Porsche factory techs from Germany.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Marcus, with regard to the warranty question, I recently received the official letter from Porsche regarding compensation. It states specifically that the existing 4 year/50K mile limited warranty on my car will be extended by 1 additional year and a further 50K miles for a total of 5 years/100K miles. My reading of this is that the warranty extension does not apply just to the engine, but to the car as a whole.

I believe that some ROW cars had their engines replaced at dealerships, but AFAIK all US cars have been returned to port to have their engines replaced by the Porsche factory techs from Germany.

Thanks Mike.

I'll say. 5 years 100k miles bumper to bumper warranty on a 9k RPM weapon sounds astounding. I'm having a slightly difficult time trying to enjoy my C2S while dreaming of a GT3. Hmm, this is going to be more difficult than I thought.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Frayed - I agree with you. I am happy with the outcome of having the engines replaced at port with a team of experts from Germany. I have heard of no issues and complaints and it does lend itself to consistency and accuracy
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Frayed - I agree with you. I am happy with the outcome of having the engines replaced at port with a team of experts from Germany. I have heard of no issues and complaints and it does lend itself to consistency and accuracy
Agreed here as well. This also ensures accountability in the event there are any issues whatsoever--no finger pointing between factory and dealer, etc.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement at Port or dealer?