Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono Precision App description

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sports Chrono Precision App description

I found this on the configurator. For those familiar with data acquisition systems, is this one worth the $1850?

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App
Includes:
Analog Stopwatch
On upper section of dashboard

Digital Stopwatch Function
In intrument cluster

Additional Peformance Display
In 7-inch color touchscreen when in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl navigation module
Porsche Track Precision App
The Porsche Track Precision App enables your driving stats to be displayed in detail, logged and analyzed on your smartphone. The lap timer can be stopped manually using the control stalk for the Sport Chrono function - automated by GPS. You can then compare your lap times on your smartphone. The app also visualizes driving dynamics, presents a video analysis and allows you to manage the logs, circuit profiles and driver profiles on the smartphone device.
NOTE:
Use of the app permitted on closed land only. For information on compatible mobile phones, please visit www.porsche.com or consult your Porsche Dealer.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

If you don't have a nice timer/logger already, it 'might' be worth it. Especially if you don't want to bother with connecting wires and want an integrated system. If they had included a nice integrated hd camera, then the proposition would be much better.

That being said, since I had a 2014 model with SC originally optioned bumped to 2015, my compensation was giving me SC at the original $400 price tag, so I kept it.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I checked it with the same understanding that any price increases would not be charged by Porsche.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skuplist
I checked it with the same understanding that any price increases would not be charged by Porsche.
That is what I was told as well. I'm just trying to find out if people who are familiar with data acquisition systems would be happy with this or would they still rather have something else.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm just getting started with track data, so not an expert. Tried to find out more from the dealer on the track precision app but without success. The problem to me is we just don't know much about how the app functions and what data it collects and more importantly what analysis can be done. For the price one can get an AIM Solo DL and Smarty cam HD. I have this set up and starting to use it in my Cayman. I find Racestudio 2 a little difficult, but confess I'm weak using such programs. At least there are others using it and data can be shared. Maybe the Porsche app is great and will grow with drivers using it, but at this stage to me it's a gamble. I'd rather go with the AIM set up. The only downside is you have to make the wiring connections into the CAN bus, but that's being done on a lot of cars and in another thread here has been done on at least one GT3. Would be great to know if anyone has more info on the track precision app.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO it needs to at least come with a camera for that price.

For what it's worth, the BMW //M app is actually pretty good as compared to something like Harry's Lap Timer. It won't match the power of a standalone system, but it can come close and it's free. And it has access to the actual car data, no OBD-II dongle required (For throttle position, brake pressure, etc).

To me it sounds like the Porsche app will be pretty similar to the BMW at best, and charging $1800 for that seems really steep when BMW gives it away. Unless it's really nicely integrated and includes an HD camera, I'd rather continue to use Harry's or go with AIM/TraqMate/etc/etc.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a straight up 2015 allocation, so I will pay full pop for Sports Chrono. I'm inclined to pass on it at $1,800. Will I regret this at resale time?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds cool enough. Now Porsche can scrutinize your track sessions and performance
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses. I already have a GoPro so hopefully the precision app will allow me to make videos with data overlay.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lodi
I have a straight up 2015 allocation, so I will pay full pop for Sports Chrono. I'm inclined to pass on it at $1,800. Will I regret this at resale time?
I have the same question as well. Does the SC add anything else or is it just a data logger and stopwatch for $1,800...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Arth
Racer

Does anyone know if this can be applied to the 2014 cars with the sports chrono Option and navigation?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Lodi- Good question. I love the wart on the center of the dash. It has a clock and illuminates at night. I think it sort of completes the dash and if I were to buy a GT3 second hand I would want one with the sport chrono. Is it worth $1800 - no. But heck; how many of their upgrades are actually worth the price they charge?? I think if you could careless for the wart on the dash then pass. If you like it than why the heck not. I would probably pay it but would never use any of the new stuff that comes with it since I do not track my cars
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by Arth
Does anyone know if this can be applied to the 2014 cars with the sports chrono Option and navigation?
I ordered a 2014 and it was cancelled I'm now getting a 2015. My dealer is not charging me for the difference in price for that or any other options I originally order.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Cat C 2014 pushed to a 2015 will receive the SC for $400.00 only if originally ordered and you are the original buyer. Also keep in mind it does not have the additional software the newer version has, you get what was originally ordered.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GO1GO
Cat C 2014 pushed to a 2015 will receive the SC for $400.00 only if originally ordered and you are the original buyer. Also keep in mind it does not have the additional software the newer version has, you get what was originally ordered.
Really?! I was under the impression that Cat C guys would get the upgraded system for the 2014 price.

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono Precision App description