Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last check of the option list

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I never really thought why Porsche did not offer the upgraded stereo. I guess it would be a real waste of money if over 65 mph you could not hear it any way. I am glad they did not offer and waste ~$5000.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
qbix, the turn signals are not in the headlight module. They're located in the horizontal fixture below the headlight module; the turn signals are in the top half of the fixtere and the LED driving lights are in the thin strip on the bottom. BTW, the turn signals look clear and only show amber when they are activated.
Mike did you switch out your turn signals with the clear ones sold from Suncoast? I thought the stock ones are ugly orange, and the only clear option is the tail lights.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Interesting. My current 991S has clear tails, and clear turn signals? I'm confused if you order clears on the GT3 why would the turns not be clear? Hate to sell my 7 speed manual in a few months when the beast arrives. 3200 miles sucks no garage space or I would keep it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Mike did you switch out your turn signals with the clear ones sold from Suncoast? I thought the stock ones are ugly orange, and the only clear option is the tail lights.
Here you go! OEM clear lens LED side markers for rest of world.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...EXTERIORLIGHTS
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Interesting. My current 991S has clear tails, and clear turn signals? I'm confused if you order clears on the GT3 why would the turns not be clear? ...
For new cars sold in the US, manufacturers must install amber lens side lights. On our P-cars, the amber lens can be swapped out (post manufacturing) to a clear lens with an amber lamp inside.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Make sense ......,odd the dealer did it on my 991S, and there was no up charge. It was not on the invoice that's why I assumed it arrived to the dealer as such. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi rubbaman, I didn't swap out the front turn signals; the lens on those has always been clear. There appears to be a single amber LED emitter in the outside corner of the turn signal bar that lights and reflects along the entire length of the fixture, making it appear that there are multiple individual amber light sources...pretty clever really.

The piece that I changed out (got it from Suncoast) was the original side marker light with the reflective amber lens required in the US. The new clear lens ROW side marker has an amber LED which does the same job as the original although the lens itself is no longer reflective. FWIW, the side marker also flashes amber in conjunction with the turn signal.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^Man that looks good in Red! Now I am thinking I should have ordered RED!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^Man that looks good in Red! Now I am thinking I should have ordered RED!
lol....it never ends! Went through the same thing until I actually saw my own car and even now some colors still catch my eye. The grass is always greener, redder, grayer, bluer....you name it.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for your inputs!

That was a silly question about the turn indicators. I thought that with the xenon lights the turn inditator is just underneath the xenon projector inside the lamp.

Anyway I just discovered that Porsche xenon PDLS are a touch dimmer than the regular xenons which are plain silver. That gives another option to consider.
LEDs are actually growing on me as I think they look futuristic and would add value to my car and once the facelift versions are introduced the car won't look a bit outdated. That is however only my opinion. 2000EUR over the base PDLS is a lot of money though!

I am still hesitating whether to check the privacy glass box. I like the clean look of the car and I am not a fun of privacy glass on this particular model but mine is going to be clubsoprt and though that I could hide the cage a bit.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by qbix
Anyway I just discovered that Porsche xenon PDLS are a touch dimmer than the regular xenons which are plain silver. That gives another option to consider.
Curious as to how you determined that and why you think that would be. AFAIK, the lighting itself is identical; only the aiming mechanism is different. Maybe the light scatter off the silver/chrome interior surface of the standard lights makes them appear brighter when looking at them, even though the actual illumination of the road is (or should be) identical.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Curious as to how you determined that and why you think that would be. AFAIK, the lighting itself is identical; only the aiming mechanism is different. Maybe the light scatter off the silver/chrome interior surface of the standard lights makes them appear brighter when looking at them, even though the actual illumination of the road is (or should be) identical.
Mike--I think he meant that the headlight surround trim is darker (not dimmer), as in gray versus silver.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Mike--I think he meant that the headlight surround trim is darker (not dimmer), as in gray versus silver.
Tim, the choice of words threw me off, if you're right....
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Tim, the choice of words threw me off, if you're right....
Haha. I agree. I'm just guessing...

Mike--these final couple of weeks of waiting is driving me stir crazy!

Quick Reply: The last check of the option list