Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Old" GT3 Engines??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I imagine many of the engines will be torn apart and dissected with great scrutiny by the Porsche engineers. They could learn a lot more than they did by looking at two destroyed and burned engines. (which hopefully told them enough to craft a solution)

Sort of like the PDK transmissions they replace. They don't get repaired or reused, but they do get sent to the homeland for inspection. How else can they learn what the problem was?

The other commonality will be - no way on Earth will they tell anyone (dealers, customers, their buddy at the bar, etc) what they found or what they end up doing with any parts from the engines.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

They have enough engines from the European replacements. No need to incur shipping cost from NA. But I do agree we will never know what the true problem was.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I see anyone can chime in out of their a**,so I'll go ahead and do the same.

By now I have seen quite a few pics of engines coming as complete assemblies in their respective boxes. That's what made these swaps so easy. Is Porsche insane to scrap all that(Intakes,Generators,Throttle bodies,Water pumps etc)?! The answer is no IMO.
They can find plenty of uses for these engines. If Porsche wants to cut the crap and race these engines,they will use the blocks and some components for testing. This can be one of the uses. Others have mentioned different possibilities.
Either way,I hope you do realize why they tell customers they will scrap all engines...they don't want the customer to be led to believe some of these parts will be reused and possibily end up in one of the new engines now,do they?

If not,as I've mentioned in a previous thread,my lawn mower can use an engine that revs to 9K!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
One of the supervisors at PCNA told me this and he was emphatic. The engines will not be returned to Germany and will not be allowed to be used for scrapped parts. They will be destroyed.
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing the info.

Leads me to wonder if it was more than just a connecting rod issue. Seems like if it was just a conrod issue, the rest of the engine should be ok.

But I'm not an engineer, and I don't even play one in real life, so what do I know.

And, honestly, who cares. The owners who have had affected cars, are getting new engines and either have or will soon have their cars back. With $$ compensation.

As good as one can hope for in a situation like this if you're a GT3 owner. Not perfect. But then nothing ever really is.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
By now I have seen quite a few pics of engines coming as complete assemblies in their respective boxes. That's what made these swaps so easy. Is Porsche insane to scrap all that(Intakes,Generators,Throttle bodies,Water pumps etc)?! The answer is no IMO.

Either way,I hope you do realize why they tell customers they will scrap all engines...they don't want the customer to be led to believe some of these parts will be reused and possibily end up in one of the new engines now,do they?
My opinion as well. I'm not saying the 15's will get the rejected and rebuilt 14 motors, but certainly it's in PAGs best interest to let everyone know the defective 14 engines are getting crushed.

To me, saying that the motors are being crushed is linked to the complexity of the defect is a huge leap of logic and not supported by what we know to be the facts.

But I also think the logistics (e.g., packaging and shipping) and qualification (inspection) of re-using parts off the 14 motors is non-trivial and may outweigh the cost savings benefits of recycling ancillary parts.

-------------------

Despite all of that, I intend to continue the propagate the notion that 785 '14 motors are going into the '15 cars just to annoy the smug '15 owners.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Would it be too much of a liability / risk for them to use some of these engines in their Driving School GT3s?
Might be a good way to put them to use and investigate further.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

-------------------

Despite all of that, I intend to continue the propagate the notion that 785 '14 motors are going into the '15 cars just to annoy the smug '15 owners.
I agree but did not have the heart to tell them.

But seriously, the last thing Porsche needs to permanently destroy their credibility is to used parts or retool the old engines which could lead to another engine failure. From a cost and PR standpoint it would be devastating to the brand. They just can't risk it. Just one additional engine failure would be a catastrophe especially if it was shown old engine parts were used.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

A question to be answered is did they have any insurance claim against these engines. May be they have some sort of manufacturing coverage. I have no idea but, if so, maybe they would then be trashed
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

This is a pic that has been posted on a different thread. This is how the new engine comes and the " old " removed looks the same. Does Porsche scrap all that?!
And I think the consensus is that parts from the " old " engines will not end up in the new engines,that makes sense.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

The engines belong to the insurance company, and Porsche would be made whole on the claims. Considering your looking at a 25M plus dollar claim no way they would write it off as a capital expenditure against earnings.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Nigelr32
Track Day

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is a pic that has been posted on a different thread. This is how the new engine comes and the " old " removed looks the same. Does Porsche scrap all that?!
And I think the consensus is that parts from the " old " engines will not end up in the new engines,that makes sense.
I actually think that engine has had the ancillaries fitted from the "old" engine. no way is that exhaust system new. Note the carbon on the tail pipes and slight corrosion on the back of the mufflers. Or.. Is that the "old" engine?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nigelr32
I actually think that engine has had the ancillaries fitted from the "old" engine. no way is that exhaust system new. Note the carbon on the tail pipes and slight corrosion on the back of the mufflers.
Since it's taken from an old thread,it might be the so called " old " engine,pic taken right after removal. But the new engine looks exactly the same and comes with all the parts you see in the pic already assembled.
I'll try and search more pics. Any help finding them would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Then they all will be scrapped. The insurance company would not legally be able sell the engines due to patents, liability ect. They would make sure that Porsche documents and destroys each engine.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

You guys actually think PAG had an insurance policy that would cover defective engines?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The engines belong to the insurance company,
Which company? I'd be happy to buy one with a 'salvage title'. I'm sure I could find help cramming it into my Cayman.

Quick Reply: "Old" GT3 Engines??