Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What was he suppose to do? The Vette would not let him pass.
The problem with "competing" with cars driven like that Vette has two parts.

One is classic "red mist". That is, the follower concentrates on the guy ahead rather than car placement and optimal braking points for his own car, for the place he is on the track. Combined that with a little too much speed and the result is typically as was illustrated. Successful racing requires intense focus, discipline and judgement- learnable skills.

The other is that as you point out, the Vette drive was obviously marginally competent as a driver and totally incompetent as a fun run companion. Best avoided.

Based on the vid, I would bet that Sam will be driving past that guy as soon as he gets more time in his car and good instruction.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The problem with "competing" with cars driven like that Vette has two parts.

One is classic "red mist". That is, the follower concentrates on the guy ahead rather than car placement and optimal braking points for his own car, for the place he is on the track. Combined that with a little too much speed and the result is typically as was illustrated. Successful racing requires intense focus, discipline and judgement- learnable skills.

The other is that as you point out, the Vette drive was obviously marginally competent as a driver and totally incompetent as a fun run companion. Best avoided.

Based on the vid, I would bet that Sam will be driving past that guy as soon as he gets more time in his car and good instruction.
Yeah, good old red mist. It seems I'm addicted to it. True, need more practice and pro input. I still am enjoying the hell out of this car, though.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice vid. Not much I can add on setup that hasn't been said. Your car is clearly understeering quite hard so some test and tune with the suggestions here is bound to help. I can tell you that Z06 Vettes are fast, very fast in the right hands. That car was clearly in the wrong hands. I have one prepped for the track (while I wait for a 991 RS) and it is super neutral right up to its' very high limits. Great brakes, not 997 RS in terms of feel, but effective.

Very different from a 911, need to do your braking in a straight line, long gears and tons of tq. The whole experience is pretty much the polar opposite of a well driven GT3, but fun in it's own right. My buddy is waiting for his new engine for his 991 so we will have some comparo vid from our home track of Mosport to share soon.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I did blow many corners. While I would love to drive more tracks, my schedule restricts me from travel so I only dive MSR and ECR. I'm going this Sunday and attending Driver's Edge DE September. I will be going to MSR 2-3 times a month for a while. I am avoiding ECR for now because, believe it or not, of the grasshoppers. I wonder if they will be a big problem for the RS, with the side air intakes. When do you get your car?
No idea on delivery. I was a July delivery before fiasco. Sold the RS and then bought a gt3 to drive in the interim.

I'm really encouraged to see your honesty about your driving style and admitting mistakes. I've often been in denial about what the problem was. ME! Keep up the good work.

Hope to see you at an event soon.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 AM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I already ordered a spare splitter from SunCoast, IIRC I think it was just under $200. I believe $186. Should have my car in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?