Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great driving! An entertaining dogfight to watch. It ended while I was wanting to see more and more. I say if you were driving the yet to be released gt3 rs, you would have had that corvette. Its advantage was predictably limited to the straights.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^Thanks. It was fun. This was just a DE but I can see why those who race clearly enjoy a different level of excitement. DEs are probably KG level to racers.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Jeez, Sam. That guy in the Vette is Bob (I'm 99% sure). He braked checked me hard in his yellow C5 race car Vette when I was riding his butt at TWS several years back in a nearly stock LS3 Vette. I'd watch out for him as he's unpredictable and he's an average driver at best. I wouldn't be gauging my performance against him. He has fast cars and mediocre driving skills.

You really need to come out to a NASA time trial. Your car should do well if you put on sticky tires and you'll have better competition. Great vid and glad your damage was limited to a splitter. I busted my third (3rd!!!) carbon fiber splitter on my Vette a month or so back at Hallett at my last time trial. Need to look for cheaper (or more easily replaceable) splitter options myself.

Last edited by Quikag; 07-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Jeez, Sam. That guy in the Vette is Bob (I'm 99% sure). He braked checked me hard in his yellow C5 race car Vette when I was riding his butt at TWS several years back in a nearly stock LS3 Vette. I'd watch out for him as he's unpredictable and he's an average driver at best. I wouldn't be gauging my performance against him. He has fast cars and medicore driving skills.

You really need to come out to a NASA time trial. Your car should do well if you put on sticky tires and you'll have better competition. Great vid and glad your damage was limited to a splitter. I busted my third (3rd!!!) carbon fiber splitter on my Vette a month or so back at Hallett at my last time trial. Need to look for cheaper (or more easily replaceable) splitter options myself.

That's just wrong. You don't brake check someone on a race track. We'd be swapping blows if he did it to me.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Jeez, Sam. That guy in the Vette is Bob (I'm 99% sure). He braked checked me hard in his yellow C5 race car Vette when I was riding his butt at TWS several years back in a nearly stock LS3 Vette. I'd watch out for him as he's unpredictable and he's an average driver at best. I wouldn't be gauging my performance against him. He has fast cars and medicore driving skills.

Yup, that's him. And I have an opinion about his driving and politeness skills but since he's not here to respond, I'll PM you.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
^Thanks. It was fun. This was just a DE but I can see why those who race clearly enjoy a different level of excitement. DEs are probably KG level to racers.
Racing is more different than time trials or DE than meets the eye (in aspects apart from optimal braking and cornering). That's why responsible sanctioning bodies require some degree of race training and then carefully license competitors.

PS one thing you would learn is not to get caught up following squirrels like that guy in the Vette!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Racing is more different than time trials or DE than meets the eye (in aspects apart from optimal braking and cornering). That's why responsible sanctioning bodies require some degree of race training and then carefully license competitors.

PS one thing you would learn is not to get caught up following squirrels like that guy in the Vette!
What was he suppose to do? The Vette would not let him pass.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What was he suppose to do? The Vette would not let him pass.
Slow way down until the Vette is just about to come around to pass you. Then go back up to speed, and you have freedom until you lap him.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Jeez, Sam. That guy in the Vette is Bob (I'm 99% sure). He braked checked me hard in his yellow C5 race car Vette when I was riding his butt at TWS several years back in a nearly stock LS3 Vette. I'd watch out for him as he's unpredictable and he's an average driver at best. I wouldn't be gauging my performance against him. He has fast cars and medicore driving skills
Yup, that's him. And I have an opinion about his driving and politeness skills but since he's not here to respond, I'll PM you.
He doesn't by chance own a viper as well? I was there 1 yr ago or so, running in white, while someone in a grey/silver viper, right out of the gate - warm up lap on the 3.1 - he didn't even get a 1/4 mile, parked it down by the creek in the weeds and got out causing the whole session to be black flagged.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

. He has fast cars and medicore driving skills. .
+1.

Sorry about your splitter.

Hope to see you at MSRH in Oct. with Drivers Edge or at one of the PCA events in sept or Oct at TWS.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Slow way down until the Vette is just about to come around to pass you. Then go back up to speed, and you have freedom until you lap him.
With sticky tires and that much hp, I felt nervous having him behind me so I let him pass. I didn't want to do what I eventually did!! I loved gaining up on him in several corners though.

Originally Posted by ExMB
He doesn't by chance own a viper as well? I was there 1 yr ago or so, running in white, while someone in a grey/silver viper, right out of the gate - warm up lap on the 3.1 - he didn't even get a 1/4 mile, parked it down by the creek in the weeds and got out causing the whole session to be black flagged.
Not him. He is a big time Corvette guy and pours tons of money into his C5R engined racing car and recently, this grey car. I used to lap him easily before he modded the heck out of it.

Originally Posted by tgavem
+1.

Sorry about your splitter.
Hope to see you at MSRH in Oct. with Drivers Edge or at one of the PCA events in sept or Oct at TWS.
It's actually a splitter and a bumper but thanks. At least they are in the US and should arrive Thursday. Hope to get the bumper painted in a couple of days but may have to wait a couple of weeks before putting XPEL back on it, so in the meantime, I'll run aero-lopsided.

I'm going to MSR Cresson this Thursday, running the 3.1 mile track and the forecast has it at 101 that day, great training and car testing. Signed up for Driver's Edge September event, which is usually the 3.1 mile as well. I haven't been traveling far due to time constraints. I go to MSR Cresson and when it is not monster grasshopper season, I also go to ECR.
Speaking of grasshoppers, I'm not sure if the mesh screens are an advantage. While they keep the bigger parts outside, hopper juice and small parts clog the radiator fins and you can't reach there to clean without taking the bumper off.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

+1
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What run group were you in? I almost attended the event and rented a 996 cup rather than trailering up. You were fast even with blowing some corners. You were really pushing the car. Glad it was "minor." Hope to meet you at an event. Do you run any other tracks?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw the second page of the thread. So red group.

Good old Corvette Bob. I had to hit the brakes in my RS some time ago coming out of TWS turn 15 to avoid rear ending his yellow vette. Not a bad guy, just not a friendly DE driver. There are lots of stories about him.

You are definitely not afraid of getting after it in the video. It won't be long and you will be killing it in the 991. I'm jealous as mine has been delayed.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by forhamilton
What run group were you in? I almost attended the event and rented a 996 cup rather than trailering up. You were fast even with blowing some corners. You were really pushing the car. Glad it was "minor." Hope to meet you at an event. Do you run any other tracks?
Originally Posted by forhamilton
Just saw the second page of the thread. So red group.

Good old Corvette Bob. I had to hit the brakes in my RS some time ago coming out of TWS turn 15 to avoid rear ending his yellow vette. Not a bad guy, just not a friendly DE driver. There are lots of stories about him.

You are definitely not afraid of getting after it in the video. It won't be long and you will be killing it in the 991. I'm jealous as mine has been delayed.
I did blow many corners. While I would love to drive more tracks, my schedule restricts me from travel so I only dive MSR and ECR. I'm going this Sunday and attending Driver's Edge DE September. I will be going to MSR 2-3 times a month for a while. I am avoiding ECR for now because, believe it or not, of the grasshoppers. I wonder if they will be a big problem for the RS, with the side air intakes. When do you get your car?

Quick Reply: So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?