Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Glad you are OK Sam and just a minor bumper deal. Get all the safety gears please.
oh, a rear camera along with front would be cool too.
Thanks! It's a shame the car lacks track safety options in the US. I have an extra camera that I don't use but have no idea how to edit a video to show both views (front and rear) alternating or at the same time. I need to put the camera on the inside rear window so I can see my hands and figure out what am I doing wrong, for future mistakes.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I found this on ebay. Would anyone consider putting this on their car? OEM plastic is pliable and I have no idea how fiber glass replica would feel or handle being hit. I realize the tow hook hole needs to be drilled out but at $2K for the whole thing, it's half OEM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111413155937&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I have an extra camera that I don't use but have no idea how to edit a video to show both views (front and rear) alternating or at the same time. I need to put the camera on the inside rear window so I can see my hands and figure out what am I doing wrong, for future mistakes.
Racerender. And yes, that is the most important use of a camera, I have mine on my roll bar. I can see me and my line. Great training tool with data overlay too.

I found this on ebay. Would anyone consider putting this on their car? OEM plastic is pliable and I have no idea how fiber glass replica would feel or handle being hit. I realize the tow hook hole needs to be drilled out but at $2K for the whole thing, it's half OEM
No. Fiberglass won't hold up as well. Can you take a picture of the damaged under bumper where the lip slots in? I've seen these damaged before and they hold the lip FINE (on 997s).

I know I was. I'm really pissed at myself because that was a mistake I (thought) I stopped making.
It happens to everyone. No need to beat yourself up over it. Its only $. But, get some better safety equipment, seat, harnesses, bar, hans. It's a very small price to pay for some extra protection, plus you will drive better anchored in the seat.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Racerender. And yes, that is the most important use of a camera, I have mine on my roll bar. I can see me and my line. Great training tool with data overlay too.

No. Fiberglass won't hold up as well. Can you take a picture of the damaged under bumper where the lip slots in? I've seen these damaged before and they hold the lip FINE (on 997s).

It happens to everyone. No need to beat yourself up over it. Its only $. But, get some better safety equipment, seat, harnesses, bar, hans. It's a very small price to pay for some extra protection, plus you will drive better anchored in the seat.
Thanks, input appreciated. Will try to get a closer look/picture. my mechanic thinks the local body shop can fix plastic! Will look into that too. I am likely to re replace the bumper and then attempt to fix the other one and use as spare.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice video Sam. It's funny but was rooting for you to pass that corvette all video long.

Not a big deal about the spin. Going to happen to everyone eventually who tracks their cars, pro or not
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM
TrackFan
Banned

It's no big deal Sam. If you don't have an off now and then, you're not trying hard enough.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arth
Very nice video Sam. It's funny but was rooting for you to pass that corvette all video long.

Not a big deal about the spin. Going to happen to everyone eventually who tracks their cars, pro or not
Originally Posted by TrackFan
It's no big deal Sam. If you don't have an off now and then, you're not trying hard enough.
Thanks. Yeah, he saw me at the DE and ran to his garage before we started. I walked by and he was putting fresh Hoosiers on! I'm putting Trofeo-R next DE in September and if they truely are better than the PSS, he won't pass me. If you watch carefully, he will pass without points sometimes (they don't fuss at him, he's been there forever) and never, ever, lets me pass, even when I have tire grip and he doesn't yet. That will need a rear camera.

Just an FYI, MSRP for front fender is $6,400 in the US. No-one pays MSRP but still. Splitter a couple of hundred.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good driving again Sam. You might try to stiffen the rear bar a hole. It will help with that understeer.
Front roll bar set to softest setting and rear to firmest. The car understeers at the limit.
That's not good that it still understeers with a soft front bar, and stiff rear bar. Do they offer different size bars I wonder?

What's the RS going to be like with that bigger rear wing?

Personally, I hate understeer. All you can do is back off throttle to control it. I much prefer oversteer. I know Porsche is trying to keep the car safe for the general public, but there should be a way to dial out the understeer available to those who want it. There's a few ways to do it, but the bars are the easiest fix.

It must have been pretty pushy with the stock bar settings huh?
I guess one can take negative camber off of the rears but the tires will then wear unevenly. Yes, it pushed more when stock. I vividly recall when we made the roll bar adjustment that the car started to excessively oversteer but it was just a misperception that lasted a couple of sessions, until I got used to it. I suspect there is after market material that can help but I'm trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible.

The first time I took out my Carrera S to the track the car understeered as though there was no steering wheel at all. I was so disappointed i thought thats how Porsches drove (first time driving a Porsche on a track), after hearing all this feedback about Porsches understeering. I was so bummed, and though i want to sell this thing. In any case, i checked the tire pressures and turns out they were 30/32 front to rear respectively. I looked at the side of the door sill at the Manufacturer's recommended pressures and saw 30/40, i was astonished! i thought to my self that margin can't be that big. In the end, i did as recommended and the car handled beautifully on track. The car rotated great and was very predictable (car is a keeper).

I don't know that the recommended pressures for a GT3 is but i suspect its not far off a Carrera S. I remember Sam once mentioned that he had his pressures at 30/33. I would only recommend these pressures if you want to be safe on Circuit, because the car will understeer and you know whats going on.

The thing is, setting a soft front/hard rear roll bar is for mid corner stability, and Sam experienced the rear end come out quick because i suspect the low pressures on the rear were at their limit of adhesion. The car will lean on its soft rear tire till there is no more grip then suddenly let go due to a stiff rear bar, kind of like a rubber band snapping. Thats my .02 cents if its worth anything.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Arth
Racer

Trofeo R's are much and better you will love them. But they do wear quicker so expect to change them more frequently
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth

+1
Old 07-21-2014, 04:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Wonder if the psm since on is the culprit for added understeer. Usually soft front and firm rear it's going to oversteer. I hate understeer myself as well. Mike
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Glad you are ok. I know it's hard to be rational and calculating in the heat of the moment, but you should have started easing off the throttle the moment you realized that you overcooked it. This would have slowed you down, rotated the rear, and added to front grip. At the same time, should have slowly started to open up the steering wheel (counter-intuitive, yes) and prepare to get it and the car straight (minimal to no lateral g) as you straddled the outside curb (with the two outside wheels off). Even with four off, that would have been a much better/safer side to get off. Then, when sure that lateral g is safe/zero, slowly reel it back on track.

If the above failed or if getting off on the outside would have been unsafe (close wall, etc.), another (much riskier and requiring more skill) option would have been to get back on track as you did BUT while consciously anticipating/expecting the "ricochet" and applying a counter steer immediately as the car got back on track. These "ricochet" offs are usually a "kiss the wall and your car goodbye" events on the East coast. Your track is great to learn these recovery techniques while paying cheap tuition.

I loved the sound. That SW bypass sounds much better with the mic inside.

If the (lighter) Vette had 700hp and Hoosiers, then you are at least two levels better driver than its driver. If you switched cars, you would probably lap him every 10 laps on that small track.

Your level of skill/heat is way beyond the need for proper seats, harness, and hans.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Dude-
Pro

Sam, awesome battle and really fun to watch except for the end. Glad you are OK.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
No stick to OEM, but I would like to see a lower splitter like the 997CUP one

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Wonder if the psm since on is the culprit for added understeer. Usually soft front and firm rear it's going to oversteer. I hate understeer myself as well. Mike
Yes, we are used to 3R 1F set, but then again with my RSA full stiff rear and full soft front I corded all 4 nitto's on the same session...
And it drives nothing like a Civic, feels and handles like a proper 911.
235F 275R..
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Glad you are ok. I know it's hard to be rational and calculating in the heat of the moment, but you should have started easing off the throttle the moment you realized that you overcooked it. This would have slowed you down, rotated the rear, and added to front grip. At the same time, should have slowly started to open up the steering wheel (counter-intuitive, yes) and prepare to get it and the car straight (minimal to no lateral g) as you straddled the outside curb (with the two outside wheels off). Even with four off, that would have been a much better/safer side to get off. Then, when sure that lateral g is safe/zero, slowly reel it back on track.

If the above failed or if getting off on the outside would have been unsafe (close wall, etc.), another (much riskier and requiring more skill) option would have been to get back on track as you did BUT while consciously anticipating/expecting the "ricochet" and applying a counter steer immediately as the car got back on track. These "ricochet" offs are usually a "kiss the wall and your car goodbye" events on the East coast. Your track is great to learn these recovery techniques while paying cheap tuition.

I loved the sound. That SW bypass sounds much better with the mic inside.

If the (lighter) Vette had 700hp and Hoosiers, then you are at least two levels better driver than its driver. If you switched cars, you would probably lap him every 10 laps on that small track.

Your level of skill/heat is way beyond the need for proper seats, harness, and hans.
Thanks for the valuable input. I clearly screwed up by not staightening the wheel as I went out to the right but the car was sliding from ealy on as I approached an early apex hot. If I had a video camera behind me, it would have shown that as I was crossing the track, I had the steering wheel turned to the right (alot) and was waiting for it to grip any time so I could release the counter steer quickly but I simply ran out of awesome!! As I said earlier, I made several mistakes in one corner.

Quick Reply: So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?