Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gotta love the runoff at Cresson, and what amazing weather for Texas in July. A minor off, looks like a great session! Can't wait to see your car out there...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Glad you are ok. You were pushing hard, but that's what these smaller flat tracks are for. The car seems to be undresteering noticeably, despite the set up you described. Is that so or is it just perception from the video?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sam, you are one hell of a driver! The Z06 with 700hp and Hoosier should have walked you but could not. Also, I was particularly impressed that when you lost it, you did not try to recover allowing the car to go into the "weeds". Had you tried to recover (many mistakenly do) matters could have been much worst.

A couple of questions.

It's a great track with no barrier to worry about. Can lose it without sustaining too much damage. How long is it and does it require membership?

What does it cost to run a car there?

How is they allow convertible with its top down to be on the track?

Does your insurance cover damage sustained on a track and if not did you buy insurance for that day? Or are you running naked?
3.1 miles but they frequently split it so yesterday was 1.7 miles. They have membership but this was a DE, open to everyone. Convertibles allowed. Naked.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You're pushing hard, be careful.
That's a lot of speed and on the limit driving for no seats, roll bar, Hans or harnesses.

Nice job of keeping it pointed in the right direction in the grass.
Yes, I realized how dangerous this car can be in a track with concrete and tire barriers. Luckily that track is safe for outs at most turns. While I was able to keep it straight, I made the big mistake of trying to get back on track right away, rather than stay out on the passenger side and that is what ricochet me to the driver side. This can be dangerous if a fast car was right behind me. The name of this turn? Well, Ricochet!!

Originally Posted by frayed
Nice driving right up till red mist took over!!

Looks like an early apex to me. That vette was working it as he was trail braking the **** out of car and rotating it a lot.

Fun to watch.
Went in too hot. Definitely red mist with the Vette in front and the Cup chasing me.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, great vid, great driving....glad you and the car are mostly ok! Seems like getting onto the rumble strip may have unsettled the car just enough as you were entering that turn resulting in a less than perfect apex. Amazing how you were putting pressure on that Vette who had much more horsepower and tire. Really well done and fun to watch.
Thanks, Mike. I always try to use that rumble strip as it widens the arc. I just messed up on more than one spot.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
What track is that? looks fun, no walls too.

Been there done that. Replace spoiler, drive again!

Car is fast. Are you driving with PSM on? Sounds (to me) like its kicking in a lot on corner exit.
Motorsport Ranch. Yes, I drive with PSM on because I am not at a level to drive with it off and don't want to damage an expensive car. While it allows a ton of sliding, it certainly doesn't allow a lot of throttle input when the car perceives it is wrong.

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Good driving again Sam. You might try to stiffen the rear bar a hole. It will help with that understeer.
Front roll bar set to softest setting and rear to firmest. The car understeers at the limit.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Glad you are ok. You were pushing hard, but that's what these smaller flat tracks are for. The car seems to be undresteering noticeably, despite the set up you described. Is that so or is it just perception from the video?
Correct!

Thanks to everyone for all their kind words. I just looked at the car again. As I feared months ago, this splitter is not merely clipped into the lower part of the front bumper. Back then, I was concerned a hit to the splitter may take the front lip of the bumper with it. Guess what? It did. Will post a pic soon.

Last edited by SamFromTX; 07-20-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:17 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Default Bumper lip damage.

Need new splitter. Will order new bumper as well.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was some intense driving! Great job of keeping the shiny side up and keeping the other super hot rods honest.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
That must be a downer for you. However, if I recall you were going to out of the country anyway.
Heading to Argentina for 9 days, but as luck would have it, it'll arrive a week before my departure. LOL. Oh well.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Can you use the Motorsport part on the 991? While you may want to replace the front bumper eventually, checkout the Motorsport part as they are much more flexible than the Oem parts and will have less chance to rip the front bumper mounting point like that which also can happen with 997. Get the new lip (ideally Motorsport)and see if there is a way to attach as is and lock it in. Otherwise you'll probably be in the same scenario again. Spins and offs are part of learning to control these cars at the limit. It'll happen. Glad to see you're enjoying as intended :-)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Heading to Argentina for 9 days, but as luck would have it, it'll arrive a week before my departure. LOL. Oh well.
Well, you can always find a bright spot in (almost) every situation. For those 9 days, I am happy to get your car's legs stretched out at MSR for a couple of times so when you return, it's all ready. Glad to do that for you, no charge.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Can you use the Motorsport part on the 991? While you may want to replace the front bumper eventually, checkout the Motorsport part as they are much more flexible than the Oem parts and will have less chance to rip the front bumper mounting point like that which also can happen with 997. Get the new lip (ideally Motorsport)and see if there is a way to attach as is and lock it in. Otherwise you'll probably be in the same scenario again. Spins and offs are part of learning to control these cars at the limit. It'll happen. Glad to see you're enjoying as intended :-)
I don't know but this is a very good point. I will check into it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

You know, that's a great idea. I would be down for that but unfortunately you'll find that red is faster.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

You know, that's a great idea. I would be down for that but unfortunately you'll find that red is faster.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:07 PM
TrackFan
Banned

That's not good that it still understeers with a soft front bar, and stiff rear bar. Do they offer different size bars I wonder?

What's the RS going to be like with that bigger rear wing?

Personally, I hate understeer. All you can do is back off throttle to control it. I much prefer oversteer. I know Porsche is trying to keep the car safe for the general public, but there should be a way to dial out the understeer available to those who want it. There's a few ways to do it, but the bars are the easiest fix.

It must have been pretty pushy with the stock bar settings huh?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrackFan
That's not good that it still understeers with a soft front bar, and stiff rear bar. Do they offer different size bars I wonder?

What's the RS going to be like with that bigger rear wing?

Personally, I hate understeer. All you can do is back off throttle to control it. I much prefer oversteer. I know Porsche is trying to keep the car safe for the general public, but there should be a way to dial out the understeer available to those who want it. There's a few ways to do it, but the bars are the easiest fix.

It must have been pretty pushy with the stock bar settings huh?
I guess one can take negative camber off of the rears but the tires will then wear unevenly. Yes, it pushed more when stock. I vividly recall when we made the roll bar adjustment that the car started to excessively oversteer but it was just a misperception that lasted a couple of sessions, until I got used to it. I suspect there is after market material that can help but I'm trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

You were lucky it was a wide open track. Hooking like that can put you into an inside wall just like that. I watched a friend put an S2000 into the inside wall at Sebring exit of turn 1 because he didn't unwind the wheel when he saw he was going off.

Peter
Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 85Gold
You were lucky it was a wide open track. Hooking like that can put you into an inside wall just like that. I watched a friend put an S2000 into the inside wall at Sebring exit of turn 1 because he didn't unwind the wheel when he saw he was going off.

Peter
I know I was. I'm really pissed at myself because that was a mistake I (thought) I stopped making. I think it was due to lack of practice, where some of the hardwiring got soft. I have gotten off track in the correct side at this corner a few times before.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you are OK Sam and just a minor bumper deal. Get all the safety gears please.
oh, a rear camera along with front would be cool too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what happens to an amateur after no track driving for 5 months?