Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Black or Platinum wheels?

 
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 PM
  #16  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Platinum
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM
  #17  
Maverick787
Super User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,700
Angry

PHP Code:
 
Originally Posted by promocop View Post
You really can't appreciate pics of the new Met Wht. Have to see it in person. Stunning
Good to know I can't seem to find a great picture!
Maverick787 is online now  
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 AM
  #18  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,185
Default

Okay- I have seen Metallic white. I would get Metallic white because a minimum cost upgrade. I would never PTS that color but since you do not have to- no problem. The Metallic white you can not even tell it is metallic until you get up close. Gives you different light reflections which is inherent for Metallic colors but does not give a yellow hue(ex- Balloon white) or any thing like some of the other metallic whites out there do. It is a nice constant white. Nothing to really over think. I do not think it is nicer than standard white(toss-up) but because it does not cost much; why not?, Gt3s in the past did not come Metallic white - so something different
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM
  #19  
TC911
User
Thread Starter
 
TC911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
Okay- I have seen Metallic white. I would get Metallic white because a minimum cost upgrade. I would never PTS that color but since you do not have to- no problem. The Metallic white you can not even tell it is metallic until you get up close. Gives you different light reflections which is inherent for Metallic colors but does not give a yellow hue(ex- Balloon white) or any thing like some of the other metallic whites out there do. It is a nice constant white. Nothing to really over think. I do not think it is nicer than standard white(toss-up) but because it does not cost much; why not?, Gt3s in the past did not come Metallic white - so something different
Thanks for the explanation ! I'm switching to metallic white today
TC911 is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 AM
  #20  
Maverick787
Super User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,700
Default

Thanks for the insight. Let's just say I like a little sparkle with my speed, and I'm not driving the launch color daily. Although I do like the white, but don't want to be parked next to three of them at a car event(:
Maverick787 is online now  
Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 AM
  #21  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,907
Default

Gotta be Platinum, at least until Porsche wakes up and offers satin black.
Nizer is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
  #22  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,185
Default

Nizer- what do mean "satin black"? Are you talking like powder coated black. Because when I thin "satin black" I almost think the Platinum GT3 wheels are sort of a satin finish
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
  #23  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,301
Default

I don't see anything but shiny black on the configurator
CAlexio is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 PM
  #24  
alpine-al
User
 
alpine-al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 640
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
Gotta be Platinum, at least until Porsche wakes up and offers satin black.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
... what do mean "satin black"? ...
Satin black would be is the opposite of shiny black (aka "flat black")

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
I don't see anything but shiny black on the configurator
That's right "at least until Porsche wakes up".

.
alpine-al is offline  
Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 AM
  #25  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,452
Default

I was going to order black wheels until I saw the satin in person.

I vote satin.
ipse dixit is online now  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 PM
  #26  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,185
Default

To be frank; I like them both. But since I like them equally and I did not have to pay an upgrade I stayed with the stock color
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM
  #27  
LAGinz
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 660
Default

Ok, I'm going to be a bit contrary here. I think the black wheels make a great contrast to the white, and that the platinum wheels will start to look "dirty" before the gloss black ones do. On the white vs. metallic white, that's a real close one for me--as the colors are really close too. I saw the two colors on a Cayenne and I'm still kinda torn. As it is, I tend to think the metallic looks a little more complex but the pure white pops a little more in direct light situations.
LAGinz is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 AM
  #28  
Dr.Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dr.Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 3,513
Default

Stick with the standard wheels. Save some money and they look better too.
If only they had an 18" 5-lug option. . .
Dr.Bill is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 PM
  #29  
991GT3
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 195
Default

Originally Posted by LAGinz View Post
Ok, I'm going to be a bit contrary here. I think the black wheels make a great contrast to the white, and that the platinum wheels will start to look "dirty" before the gloss black ones do. On the white vs. metallic white, that's a real close one for me--as the colors are really close too. I saw the two colors on a Cayenne and I'm still kinda torn. As it is, I tend to think the metallic looks a little more complex but the pure white pops a little more in direct light situations.
I agree with the fact that the black wheels look very good on a white car. But I disagree with the fact that the platinum wheels look dirty before the black ones do. I think it's the other way around.

My car is white (non metallic) and has the standard platinum grey wheels. The wheels actually stay 'clean' for a longer time since the brake dust isn't very noticeable on the satin finish of the platinum grey standard wheels. (Only on the side of the car)
The brake dust on glossy black wheels however would be very noticeable and a tough job to clean.
You could solve this problem by choosing PCCB's.
991GT3 is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM
  #30  
Maverick787
Super User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,700
Default

Three more days my car goes into lock down mode no more changes. Can't wait because it gets more expensive each week! Just added the leather steering column with red stitching , and staying with the platinum wheels/metallic white. Now the wait starts 11/7 can't come soon enough.
Maverick787 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black or Platinum wheels?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: