Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Well, this is not good news (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/825021-well-this-is-not-good-news.html)

Dr.Bill 07-18-2014 12:08 PM

Well, this is not good news

As my GT3 order got delayed for 6 months or so while Porsche sorted out the spontaneous combustion issue, I decided to contact the Porsche Exclusive people to ask about a couple options.

I asked if deviated stitching was available in yellow:

Unfortunately, we do not offer any other stitching colors aside from the Platinum Grey and the Guards Red packages. We pushed for this with Germany several times, to no avail.

I guess it's too confusing for them to change the thread color?

I also asked about how long PTS would further delay my order:

For Paint to Sample, we would most likely require a December 2014 build slot at this point to allow time to order the paint and schedule for production. We do not keep all of the colors in house, therefore the process takes a good bit of time. I would advise against trying to change your build date though, as I know you have been waiting quite awhile already, and a shift to December might not even be possible.

Not sure what to make of that. Is the production run that short? Perhaps the rumors of limited GT3 production are indeed true.

At least the Macca makes the wait more tolerable.

pissedpuppy 07-18-2014 12:11 PM

so you can get a PTS order in right now???

<3mph 07-18-2014 12:24 PM

Ray, sorry to hear of your frustrations, but at least the communication from Exclusive has been consistent and clear here. I likewise was told by Exclusive that there is "little to no wiggle room on customized options for the GT3" but am hoping that that wording still leaves the door open a tiny crack for us: we'll see what transpires. As for PTS, my order is a Nov build now, despite being an early cat C car originally (although others are not delayed quite as much for their PTS cars). And word on the street (through PH etc) from markets like UK is that the production run may be very limited. Possible it's not much longer here on the other side of the pond either.

Z356 07-18-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy (Post 11516207)
so you can get a PTS order in right now???

You can get a PTS order in...but unless you get allocation for a build on the limited period they will do PTS, it doesn't mean much!

Originally Posted by <3mph (Post 11516248)
...but at least the communication from Exclusive has been consistent and clear here.

True. 'Porsche Exclusive' folks in the US have been consistent on this subject.

I likewise was told by Exclusive that there is "little to no wiggle room on customized options for the GT3" but am hoping that that wording still leaves the door open a tiny crack for us: we'll see what transpires.

There is no chance of alternative deviating stitching. So don't expect that to happen. Re: tiny crack: There is a slight chance of some CXX special requests for the gt3. For example, the ability to do exterior rear view mirrors in gloss 'Black' or the side trim on the rear spoiler in gloss 'Black'. But 'CXX' is currently on hold. 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US doesn't know when it will be resumed for either regular color production or PTS.

As for PTS, my order is a Nov build now, despite being an early cat C car originally (although others are not delayed quite as much for their PTS cars).

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your 'ModeGrau' build. Very special, stylish and elegant!

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 11516193)
I decided to contact the Porsche Exclusive people to ask about a couple options.

I asked if deviated stitching was available in yellow:

Unfortunately, we do not offer any other stitching colors aside from the Platinum Grey and the Guards Red packages. We pushed for this with Germany several times, to no avail.

I guess it's too confusing for them to change the thread color?

PAG has made arrangements with their suppliers for only two types of stitching color in the 991 gt3 interiors. We have discussed that before. It's all probably done by out-sourced contractors & vendors not at Zuffenhausen, and delivered to assembly line via their 'Just-in-Time' logistics. It's not that 'confusing' if you think about it - to them or to us the consumers. They don't have the time, or desire, to approve a different synthetic thread to use, etc. (testing, coordinating with suppliers, headaches, etc). Be happy you can order from two deviating thread colors at this low price point (starting a MSRP US$130,400) for your gt3 & its pretty damn nice base interior!

I also asked about how long PTS would further delay my order:

For Paint to Sample, we would most likely require a December 2014 build slot at this point to allow time to order the paint and schedule for production. We do not keep all of the colors in house, therefore the process takes a good bit of time. I would advise against trying to change your build date though, as I know you have been waiting quite awhile already, and a shift to December might not even be possible.

Not sure what to make of that. Is the production run that short? Perhaps the rumors of limited GT3 production are indeed true.

a) PAG and 'Porsche Exclusive' is now telling everyone - regular 991/981 in addition to the gt3 customers & their dealers - that PTS will require a December 2014 built allocation! This is confirmed by reports from other Rennlisters that have contacted me recently via PM's & emails. That tells me that PAG is planning to do a batch of PTS cars in December 2014...but not before! They will take all PTS orders that come in from when the MY15 order book was allowed to open (late Spring of 2014) and do them all at one time in December of 2014! All this means is that if you want PTS, your dealer must negotiate a build allocation for the particular month that the factory is planning to do PTS 991's. If PAG & PCNA would be really smart, they would make this clear to all potential PTS customers and their dealer network. But apparently their communications delivery systems need improvement...which I think most of you '14 gt3 customers have already found out the hard way!

So if interpret the response Dr. Bill got and try to make sense of it, it appears that the first batch of PTS MY2015 991's - whether gt3's or any other model - will be December 2014! If they follow the norm, PAG will bunch up all PTS orders that were not ready to be done in December, or are ordered after December 2014, and do another batch of PTS cars in the Spring of 2015!

Since US 'Porsche Exclusive' doesn't really know what will happen with MY2015 991 gt3 production (nobody knows...or is revealing it if they know!), they don't want to take responsibility for telling you to wait until you are assured of PTS to finalize your '15 gt3 order. Because you might miss out on gt3 production all together...and they don't want the blame!

Bottom line. If you have a December 2014 (or perhaps even a late November like <3mph ) allocation for a '15 gt3, you might be able to get PTS. If you have an earlier build, probably not. If you have a later build, who knows!

b) PTS and gt3 might require extra coordination because of the suppliers that could be providing specialized pieces that goes into the exterior shell. In the .2 997 gt3 4.0 Limited Edition, for example, the bumpers were sub-contracted out to an outside source. They were painted in-house at that outside facility. As you can imagine, the process is complicated because the rest of the body was painted in Zuffenhausen and the bumpers were painted elsewhere! And making sure the two colors match is hard enough with the limited colors offered on any 997 (or now the 991). They had that part down pat. But to do this with PTS 'Chartreuse' or some other exotic PTS color is doubly hard...and fraught with potential liabilities for them if not matched perfectly! So PTS has always been problematic for the manufacturer. Folks think "$5500 for PTS"? PAG must be laughing all the way to the bank!". Not so. Let me be clear about this. If it was up to series production, the Porsche engineers would eliminate any and all PTS. The reason PTS still exist is because dedicated folks at 'Porsche Exclusive' are fighting very hard for it...and because some of us on the customer side are helping them with that 'fight'! We can criticize in a constructive way so that they make the process more efficient. But we don't want to over do it...and kill our Multi-Colored PTS goose! Then we are back to a world of 'Black', 'White' and mostly shades of 'Grey'! Caveat Lector...and keep your eye on the ball!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Skibum1963 07-18-2014 03:43 PM

I called my local dealer and asked him about a PTS order for 2015 and his response was similar to the response if you asked someon to build the space shuttle with a machete. Not encouraging. When I called Atlanta, they said to do this through the local dealer. Yikes. This doesn't seem easy. I expect a wait, do not expect the dumbfounded responses.

Conekilr 07-18-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11516576)

Bottom line. If you have a December 2014 (or perhaps even a late November like <3mph ) allocation for a '15 gt3, you might be able to get PTS. If you have an earlier build, probably not. If you have a later build, who knows!

I have a late October build (October 24th) that is PTS. It seems that PTS does require a long lead time as my order is showing as "Locked, materials ordered" since the 1st. week of July.

:cheers:

Skibum1963 07-18-2014 06:30 PM

Jealous. Good for you!

Z356 07-19-2014 03:10 PM

Does PTS require a November or December build allocation to get it done in 2014?

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11516576)
You can get a PTS order in...but unless you get allocation for a build on the limited period they will do PTS, it doesn't mean much!...So if interpret the response Dr. Bill got and try to make sense of it, it appears that the first batch of PTS MY2015 991's - whether gt3's or any other model - will be December 2014! If they follow the norm, PAG will bunch up all PTS orders that were not ready to be done in December, or are ordered after December 2014, and do another batch of PTS cars in the Spring of 2015!

Since US 'Porsche Exclusive' doesn't really know what will happen with MY2015 991 gt3 production (nobody knows...or is revealing it if they know!), they don't want to take responsibility for telling you to wait until you are assured of PTS to finalize your '15 gt3 order. Because you might miss out on gt3 production all together...and they don't want the blame!

Originally Posted by Conekilr (Post 11516664)
I have a late October build (October 24th) that is PTS. It seems that PTS does require a long lead time as my order is showing as "Locked, materials ordered" since the 1st. week of July

I just want to be clear. The one that is recommending that you get a December 2014 (or November) build allocation if you want to do PTS is not me...but someone at 'Porsche Exclusive' that works for PCNA!

1) I am just repeating what information Dr. Bill received from someone at 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US, which he posted in his (this) thread. It reads:

I decided to contact the Porsche Exclusive people to ask about a couple options...I also asked about how long PTS would further delay my order:

[FONT="Lucida Console"]For Paint to Sample, we would most likely require a December 2014 build slot at this point to allow time to order the paint and schedule for production. We do not keep all of the colors in house, therefore the process takes a good bit of time. I would advise against trying to change your build date though, as I know you have been waiting quite awhile already, and a shift to December might not even be possible.[/FONT]

2) In a similar vein, I know someone that received a recent email from 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US re: PTS on a regular 991 (not a gt3) and it included this specific language:

"Most importantly, I'm concerned that you have a September allocation because I do not think that a September slot will take the option for Paint to Sample. I'm under the impression that it must be November or December at this point."

Conclusion: Make what ever you want of it but, as always, Caveat Lector. That is what 'Porsche Exclusive', not me, is telling their customers re: PTS for Fall 2014 production on a 991.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Zeus 07-19-2014 08:01 PM

The 2 things that blow me away about the GT3 are:

1.) Interior can only be had in Black.
2.) Deviated stitching can only be Red or Silver.

So if we wanted to order a GT3 in a PTS, or Viper Green, or blue, or a yellow, or an orange, etc... We can't even get a deviated stitching option to match or even come close, but I could on a base C2S? Sorry, that is just crazy.

GrantG 07-19-2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus (Post 11518744)
The 2 things that blow me away about the GT3 are:

1.) Interior can only be had in Black.
2.) Deviated stitching can only be Red or Silver.

I think #1 has always been the case with all GT3 (except for a few natural Brown interiors in the 996 version).

Bill_C4S 07-20-2014 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 11518783)
I think #1 has always been the case with all GT3 (except for a few natural Brown interiors in the 996 version).

as a slight deviation from the all black regime...

the RS 4.0 and GT2 RS had (optional?) red contrasting on selected interior elements: roof lining, seat inserts, gear shift, arm rests and steering wheel (the last GT2RS only).